Big Money in Politics

There's no way in hell that if I send $100 to my politician of choice, I should be forced to spend part of that on David duke.

What happens if there are 100 candidates to begin with. Each gets a dollar?

The entire rub of your proposal is letting someone "dictate who does and doesn't get access to the money."

Your money goes to him in some way or another right now.

The entire point of my rub was so that you don't have 100 candidates. Establish some kond of guideline.

I've really never seen you make a proposal in this forum. So let's hear one.

A campaign finance proposal?

I'm not very knowledgeable on the topic, but generally I wouldn't change any of it. I think it'd be a useless and costly exercise.

People's issues with campaign finance and campaigning are a red herring for the deeper issue, which is we do a terrible job of setting up incentives to draw top talent to politics.

So no proposal... dodge, duck, dip, dodge!

My proposal is that we shouldn't waste our time trying to come up with elaborate rules to cut out something that's going to happen no matter what.

We absolutely definitely should not make it a system where we have to give money to all looney politicians equally, and I'm curious how I'm currently supporting David Duke, as you stated above.

As to my proposal re: addressing the underlying problem of changing incentives around who we get into politics, I've written about that many times in other threads. I'll sum up: we should pay our politicians a lot more to do a lot less.

Yes! We got something!!!

You pay social security? Taxes? Medicare? That money supports everyone in this country in some way, shape, or form.

It's not my fault if you haven't read other threads, ZRod.

And you can't be seriously equating the paying of taxes as the same kind of support that your proposing would come from a general campaign fund.

I'm sorry I didn't pick up your proposal in you plethora of posts breaking down other peoples.

Money's money man...

This can't be a serious argument, unless you're now saying we shouldn't pay taxes that support anyone in anything - which would be the opposite of your position on HSI to rural residents.

I'm sorry I didn't pick up your proposal in you plethora of posts breaking down other peoples.

Money's money man...

This can't be a serious argument, unless you're now saying we shouldn't pay taxes that support anyone in anything - which would be the opposite of your position on HSI to rural residents.

I don't see why it's a big deal, other than the stigma of that's not how we do it. Make it illegal for hate speech to be in the campaign then, there's always a way.

Somewhere right now, Bernie Sanders is turning green and ripping through a very reasonably starched Oxford shirt.

His favorite thing to demonize is the extremely wealthy trying to buy elections. Well, that article sure makes it seem like those people are trying to purchase Trump's campaign. And he's just the type of guy that would let it happen, for the right price.

• Fire 1