A thought on a fix for penalties.

While it would be nice to eliminate all our penalties, one has to only go back as far as the Wyoming game to see that a penalty can be a positive response as well.

While this may sound stupid to some, Gerry tossing the ball to the Wyoming QB and having a few words exchanged (Smack talk) after he made that interception, helped kick start our 4th quarter explosion.

Wyomngs QB was obviously pissed and rattled and from that point of the game on, he forced plays and tried to do more that he should have, and the end result was (numerous interceptions).

While I am not advocating we become lawless thugs, I do believe a penalty that isn't done to physically hurt someone, has its place in the game plan!

While it would be nice to eliminate all our penalties, one has to only go back as far as the Wyoming game to see that a penalty can be a positive response as well.

While this may sound stupid to some, Gerry tossing the ball to the Wyoming QB and having a few words exchanged (Smack talk) after he made that interception, helped kick start our 4th quarter explosion.

Wyomngs QB was obviously pissed and rattled and from that point of the game on, he forced plays and tried to do more that he should have, and the end result was (numerous interceptions).

While I am not advocating we become lawless thugs, I do believe a penalty that isn't done to physically hurt someone, has its place in the game plan!

gerry's penalty should have also been offset by the one they didnt throw on the wyoming qb for throwing the football back at gerry after he turned his back to him.

gerry's penalty should have also been offset by the one they didnt throw on the wyoming qb for throwing the football back at gerry after he turned his back to him.

But it wasn't. One can't aways count on somebody else's bad choice canceling out their own bad choice. Gerry's behavior doesn't stand or fall on what somebody else did or didn't do, does it?

Most coaches impose discipline by way of extra work outs (stairs, wind sprints, laps, chores, etc. or if need be then penalize the player with loss of playing time, etc, and finally with dismissal from the team. Alex Lewis probably had more mindnumbing penalties than any player in recent times (maybe ever that I recall). I would have benched him as he was getting false start penalties almost every game it seemed as a multi-year starter and senior. Hell, I recall he had his usual one at a key moment in the UCLA bowl game. I don't think an NFL team would tolerate this. It can happen to anyone now and then, but not regular as clockwork. This is a lack of attentiveness and siimply not caring about the team and its success.

Many of these penalties are simply not focusing on your task at hand. There needs to be internal penalties. The players need to discipline each other as it is impacting the success of the team as a whole. The "Unity Council" or whatever the players' union or org is called needs to step in and say enough is enough and enforce the penalty box.

Lewis is one of the people that comes to mind when someone says dumb penalties.

STADIUM STAIRS!!!!

This x 1000, or better yet, apply the same philosophy to each aisle. The worse the penalty, the more aisles to run in the stadium bottom to top to bottom.
Well, old school lessons may have its place but I sure would not want to risk one of our players tripping and breaking an ankle or worse on those Aisle stairs. They are a pain just to walk up!

broken-bone-painted-illustration-6291711

We do some extra cardio work on Mondays for the penalties our kids commit on Friday nights. We can all preach to not do certain things, but with the speed of the game and kids getting into that mode, it can just happen. It drives me absolutely crazy when one of our defensive guys jumps offside, but it will happen. My guys know something will be coming their way...heck, some of my guys end up doing pushups on the sideline or something like that.

But it wasn't. One can't aways count on somebody else's bad choice canceling out their own bad choice. Gerry's behavior doesn't stand or fall on what somebody else did or didn't do, does it?

dont read more into what is said than you have to. i didnt condone nor condemn it. i merely pointed out that the refs failed to penalize the other team for an equally egregious act. nothing more, nothing less.

dont read more into what is said than you have to. i didnt condone nor condemn it. i merely pointed out that the refs failed to penalize the other team for an equally egregious act.

Calling an act "egregious" condemns it by definition.

e·gre·gious
əˈɡrējəs/
adjective
adjective: egregious
  1. 1.
    outstandingly bad; shocking.

I think I have chewed on this bone long enough.

I understand the difference between your penalties "that just happen, ie the occasional offsides, holding, clips, etc" and the penalties that are just straight up stupid and inexcuseable ie personal fouls, celebration, 2 false starts in a row, illegal formation etc. but as a coach, in order to promote the necessary focus and desire to keep improving and doing it right, there still has to be consequences for all. Once you start differentiating the level of egregiousness from penalty to penalty, you start allowing the players to start changing the level of focus from one to the other. And that becomes a huge lack of attention to detail.