Bob Devaney's Interesting Connection To The Nebraska Prayer: Watching Huskers Believe Chokes Up Mike Devaney

The Duke

Bob Devaney's son Mike attended both the Wyoming & Oregon game this year, and in a interview with Randy York of Huskers.com he dropped this wonderfully interesting connection to his Hall-of-Fame father and Nebraska's Player/Tunnel Walk Prayer.

“My dad always thought if we could beat Michigan in their own stadium, our guys would start to believe in themselves,” Devaney said. “Dad knew we had the talent. They just needed to believe what they can do when they put it all together. Back in those days, my dad believed in a saying that if you ‘won’t be beat, you can’t be beat.’”

Talk about the intersection of eras in college football. The last two lines in Nebraska’s Tunnel Walk prayer harkens back to that same thought which has become a meaningful chant – Day by day, this team gets better and better! ‘Til we can’t be beat...WON’T BE Beat!

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211186304

• Fire 4

Mike remembers his dad interviewing with three or four men about what was needed to make Nebraska a winner. He remembers his dad looking at film and wondering why Nebraska wasn’t winning because “they have better kids than we had at Michigan State,” he told his son. “It baffles me. Nebraska’s a good opportunity to win.”
Devaney watched countless film before visiting Lincoln. “He was a watcher of films to the nth degree,” Mike said. “When he was at Michigan State, I remember watching film with dad for hours and hours and hours.”

Great article! +1 I didn't know that about Devaney watching films so much. I know he was a tremendous motivator, and could really pull in the recruits.