Law Enforcement Appreciation Thread

In light of all the protests against police officers, I thought it would be nice to show support for the brave men and women in blue who risk their lives everyday to protect us and our communities. While there are certainly a few bad apples in the police force, just as their are with every profession, the police community as a whole is getting a bad rap. This thread is for those that want to show support and recognize the bravery they demonstrate every single day on the job and will include some tough videos where police officers are coming under attack.

This first post is for Officer Jeremy Henwood, a military veteran who returned to the US as a police officer in San Diego, and was shot by a black man while sitting in his police car. Just before being killed, Henwood showed a final act of kindness in buying a dinner for a 13-year old black boy who didn't have enough money.

• Fire 1

There are a good handful of police officers who volunteer as covert security at our church and do a great job being invisible and making sure people are safe and comfortable.

After the Dallas shootings we invited everyone in the church to write out thank you/appreciation cards to send to the local department. Almost everyone did, and the department was very, very thankful. Full of good people doing a great public service.

• Fire 1

Here's another video showing the challenges officers deal with day in and day out. While this got little media attention, just 2 weeks ago a black man with a history of hating on law enforcement drove a car at full speed in an attempt to kill them.

The officer that got thrown in the air was on his very first day on the job.

I will add my two bits.

My friends and I went to war, a war we are still uncertain about, to protect your freedoms. We killed some people, we freed up a lot of oil in Kuwait to get loaded on tanker ships. We certainly did a good job for the Kuwaiti people though they haven't ever said much about it.

We did this in the name of 'freedom'. And foremost on our minds was the idea that, one day or any day, Americans might benefit from this in some way. Since we are little people, the grunts with guns, the best we could come up with was the OTHER Americans might continue to have the right to protest and dissent with their government. That seems to have happened.

That is the reason we fought, other than a paycheck (Honestly that was more important, since we are all and were poor people). Our fight was in the hope that others might speak LOUDLY so that people like us never had to fight again.

• Fire 3