Where we discuss our fondness - or lack thereof - for former coaches now departed - Again

cm husker

Joel Wilks need all this time in the program? Is that why he was playing a redshirt sophomore and earned three letters? Because he needed so much time in the program?

Hoskinson played as a redshirt freshman, too. He played in 7 games as a redshirt sophomore.

By the 90s, at least the top 40 programs in the country were using S&C as well as Nebraska.

To the rest of your post, why are you offsetting Schlesinger with Green? Both were on scholarship. Both were from Nebraska. Wistrom is from Missouri (300 miles from Lincoln and an easy regional flight from Joplin).

And that statement about tailoring an offense to attract "top talent" from the coasts being wrongheaded (not "loodicrus" (sic)) was in response to an earlier poster's statement.

Interestingly, most of the people having a conniption about that statement seem to actually agree with it.

Your posts are always bordering on unhinged, but that one was really amusing.

good. I'm glad you did that. Now watch how this works. This is a good lesson for you.

"I was mistaken. My bad".

Still. What the hell are you talking about? Is this another CM'd topic? That's the point. I'm throwin sh#t out becuase any discussion involving you, no one knows what the hell is even going on. I guess I'm the stupid for trying to debate you. Im the one that ends up looking silly. No wonder youre on so many ignore lists.

• Fire 2

NU had an AD come in who wanted to chase the "other guys' way of doing things" and as a result we suffer massive losses and set the program back literally five decades - and what do people want? More of the same.

Then they dismiss TO's "outmoded principles" as being no good in today's game and, recently, even blames Frank's recruiting for the current state of the program.

This is a strawman of the arguments you're receiving. Stop it.

It doesn't matter how badly we want a Tom Osborne to come here at this point - It's an impossible task, because he doesn't exist anymore. The fan base wanted Bo - A "discipline" guy who was instructed to run a zone read/power run offense. Got us zero conference titles.

Nobody is dismissing Osborne's principles themselves. What's being provided to you are the reasons that even Osborne himself couldn't bring back the glory years at this point. Count lays it out for you in perfect detail, but you hear only what you want to hear.

Or, you're just trolling us. I think you're trolling us.

• Fire 2

I finally put CM on ignore. I havent used this ignore thing in a while. simply because when someone else quotes that person you can still see that. But i figure with him being ignored by so many, this wont be as much of an issue. And I like to argue. I cant help it. it's enjoyment for me. but 4 others on my ignore list have all been banned. LOL. Maybe i'm not so stupid afterall.

cm - Count is not saying that the principles Osborne used are "outmoded" as you phrased it.

He's saying that everybody does it now. Even us. We're still doing it. It gives no advantages. Because everybody else now does it, too.

Give some good faith that you're not a troll by acknowledging that you understand it. You either understand it, or you don't understand it, or you're a troll.

i'll bite and go down this road again.

The incredible advances and discoveries Nebraska made in S&C, nutrition, psychology had much more to do with the program "getting over the top" than any sort of resiliency in his X's and O's system. Osborne did not change much of his offense. But a lot of changes were made in regards to the program. That atmosphere of the college game has changed. There are very few secrets anymore. Everyone invests in S&C. Everyone has highly calibrated nutrition plans. Even down to position-specific (not just sport specific) nutrition and training. Leadership council and psychological investments. This is where Nebraska revolutionized the game and went from just not quite having enough to being on top with their status quo of talent and scheme.

The next Matt Hoskinson or Joel Wilks is not walking through the door today Why? because after 4 years in this program theyre still behind in development. Because the other guys have been at the advantage of the same amount and style of training. Theyre not "gaining" anything like they were at Nebraska 20 years ago. Nebraska doesnt have these insane advantages anymore.

Now, if you wanna debate that we cant get the talent, and that we're preverbially screwed, so be it. it really is a legit debate. I personally dont think we are. I think we can be like a Michigan St and have runs of really good years 2-4 in a row then have a couple down rebuilding years. It's not far fetched to think we're capable of that. No. i dont think we'll ever be in a re-load state like Bama/Ohio St/etc.

What are you talking about? Most of your post is tenuous at best, but the bolded is pure nonsense.

im talking about home grown kids who go to the program and become very very good players after 4 years of development. The point is that that's not happening becuase everyone is putting just as much into development as nebraska is.

tenuous. LOL. only cuz the intelligence and facts disprove your stance. typical cm.

Now what outmoded principles are you speaking of? There are still several concepts that Osborne was using 25 years ago that are still in use and seen as innovative today. RPO for one. it's little things. Just cause teams arent lining up in spread I or 12 Ace doesnt mean the concepts are different. Or are you talking about the talent factor? Because remember. for every Schlesinger, we had Lawrence Phillips and Ahman Green. For every Terry Connealy we had a Jason Peter and Grant Wistrom. Youre the one that started this merry go round by saying, exactly, that tailoring a system to draw top talent from California was loodicrus. So i guess, after your backpedaling and run around in all this, WHAT THE f#*k ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

I agree with you on the fact we don't have a huge advantage in strength and conditioning and nutrition anymore.

Another part of that too is that many of these kids that come in from other parts of the country have been training in this type of strength program already in HS. Don't get me wrong. Nebraska HSs have weight rooms. We have a very nice one for a small town Nebraska HS and we actually have a PE teacher that is more or less a strength coach. But, nobody should be living in the dream world that thinks this is anything like what schools in Texas, Florida, Cali have. Those kids are coming to Nebraska way more ready physically to play than a kid out of Nebraska.

Put on top of that, the amount of training in one specific sport these kids have gone through. Just follow some of these kids in 7 on 7 competitions over the spring and summers. These kids are doing this year round at an extremely high level.

I finally put CM on ignore. I havent used this ignore thing in a while. simply because when someone else quotes that person you can still see that. But i figure with him being ignored by so many, this wont be as much of an issue. And I like to argue. I cant help it. it's enjoyment for me. but 4 others on my ignore list have all been banned. LOL. Maybe i'm not so stupid afterall.

He really does ruin roughly 1/3 of the threads in here for me personally by bringing up the 90s and Solich. That's why I think he's actually trolling us - I'm serious.

I get glimpses occasionally that he might actually believe the stuff he says...but at any rate, maybe the ignore feature is the way to go. I don't mean that to be personal to him if he's NOT a troll, though. :)

Joel Wilks need all this time in the program? Is that why he was playing a redshirt sophomore and earned three letters? Because he needed so much time in the program?

Hoskinson played as a redshirt freshman, too. He played in 7 games as a redshirt sophomore.

By the 90s, at least the top 40 programs in the country were using S&C as well as Nebraska.

To the rest of your post, why are you offsetting Schlesinger with Green? Both were on scholarship. Both were from Nebraska. Wistrom is from Missouri (300 miles from Lincoln and an easy regional flight from Joplin). By the way, no one has ever argued that NU shouldn't be recruiting nationally. But at least half of our guys are realistically going to come from NE or a border state (probably two thirds will come from that region plus a state from our conference territory).

A recruiting strategy that tries to pull 50, 60, 70% of our talent from far away locations is a recipe for failure.

And that statement about tailoring an offense to attract "top talent" from the coasts being wrongheaded (not "loodicrus" (sic)) was in response to an earlier poster's statement.

Interestingly, most of the people having a conniption about that statement seem to actually agree with it.

Its easy to get playing time when you are a back-up to Zatcheka, Graham, and Taylor and can get put in the game when you are up 50-0 by second quarter.

To the rest of your post, why are you offsetting Schlesinger with Green? Both were on scholarship. Both were from Nebraska. Wistrom is from Missouri (300 miles from Lincoln and an easy regional flight from Joplin). By the way, no one has ever argued that NU shouldn't be recruiting nationally. But at least half of our guys are realistically going to come from NE or a border state (probably two thirds will come from that region plus a state from our conference territory).

A recruiting strategy that tries to pull 50, 60, 70% of our talent from far away locations is a recipe for failure.

Its easy to get playing time when you are a back-up to Zatcheka, Graham, and Taylor and can get put in the game when you are up 50-0 by second quarter.

he completely missed the point i was trying to make. instead went all fact check-which is fine, i do it too-with the random names of instate kids i threw out in making the point. So admitted my wrongs. weird. the problem lied in that i completely lost track of what the debate was even regarding. LOL.

We are not running TO's offense in any shape or fashion.

Between 1980 and 1997, NU had more seasons (3) where our offense averaged less than 100 yards passing than more than 150 yards per game passing (2). In no season did NU average more than 156 yards passing per game. Contrast that with a rushing attack that was never outside of the top 5 in the nation (and led the nation 11 times during that span).

In no way, shape, or form is NU stilling running a similar offense, in principle or otherwise.

And we aren't employing many of his other principles, either, at least in terms of recruiting.

It's encouraging that Riley has recently talked about the importance of recruiting locally, but as of now, he's signed or has committed the lowest % of "radius" recruits of any NU coach as far back as I can find. Lower even than Callahan, who launched the first "callibraska" movement.

Between 1980 and 1997, NU had more seasons (3) where our offense averaged less than 100 yards passing than more than 150 yards per game passing (2). In no season did NU average more than 156 yards passing per game. Contrast that with a rushing attack that was never outside of the top 5 in the nation (and led the nation 11 times during that span).

In no way, shape, or form is NU stilling running a similar offense, in principle or otherwise.

And we aren't employing many of his other principles, either, at least in terms of recruiting.

It's encouraging that Riley has recently talked about the importance of recruiting locally, but as of now, he's signed or has committed the lowest % of "radius" recruits of any NU coach as far back as I can find. Lower even than Callahan, who launched the first "callibraska" movement.

when i said many of TO's concepts are being used still today, it was in reference to nationwide. Not Nebraska.

You dont know as much about football or reading comprehension as you like to claim you do. good bye.

Translation: Osborne ran the ball a lot. And he ran it out of the triple option employed a power run offense. And Nebraska was really good at rushing. Therefore, Nebraska can only be great on offense by running the triple option using a power run offense and greatly limiting the passing game.

This is what taking crazy pills feels like.

Translation: Osborne ran the ball a lot. And he ran it out of the triple option. And Nebraska was really good at rushing. Therefore, Nebraska can only be great on offense by running the triple option and greatly limiting the passing game.

This is what taking crazy pills feels like.

I just dont understand this whole thing. In an every changing and ever evolving sport, yet where the simple basics will always remain key, and coaches and programs are chasing that next great nuance to get them the advantage, and so many places take pride in this. but we. We husker fans, due to failures recently and our stupidity to blame those failures on simply changes in philosophy, are so hot to claim that the OLD way is the ONLY way. it's stupid. Oklahoma did not win a National title in 2000 and umpteen conference titles since using the wishbone. And so many are quick to forget. This program went to sh#t BEFORE Callahan and the philisophical shift. It was our reluctance to change and roll with evolution within the sport to begin with that put us behind. Not Callahan and his attempt to modernize, both football stuff and recruiting.

• Fire 2