One UConn writer's take on the Bob Diaco era

kozzman555

2 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Why do people continually try to rewrite history?  MSU hadn't had a winning record the five years prior to Saban coaching there.  Guess what, he never had a losing season while at MSU.  He finished 6-6 a couple of times, but never lost more games in a season than he won there.  It should also be pointed out that MSU was under NCAA sanctions for recruiting violations committed by the guy he replaced.  It should also be noted that Saban's final year at MSU (99') was the best record at MSU since 65'.  Yeah, that all sounds pretty so/so now doesn't it?  Just because he didn't win a NC at MSU doesn't mean in any way that his time at MSU was so/so.  The deck was completely stacked against him in terms of the culture, the sanctions, and how bad MSU had been.

I'm well aware of all of that.  No one is trying to rewrite history.  The so/so record is based on the record itself.   You make my point however,- my point is that based on record, Saban appears so/so (I could have been clearer in that) but he is in a totally different situation at Bama than what he was at MSU. 

I guess we're all just supposed to agree that Bill Snyder has been just so/so at KState then as well?  I mean the guy loses over a third of his games.  When a coach walks into a program that hasn't had a winning record in the past five years and gives them their best record in well over three decades by year five, I'd call this better than just so/so. 

A coaches record is almost meaningless.  I pity the poor fool who follows Saban at Bama.  They may very well win 80% of their games, but they'll be fired by year five if they haven't continued to win the SEC and play for and win NCs.  Same for the one who follows Urban at Ohio State.  We of all people should know this.  Solich won just over 75% of his games here, but he was fired.  How long do you suppose Lincoln Riley lasts in Norman if OU takes a step back and isn't continually winning the Big 12?   

20 hours ago, junior4949 said:

I guess we're all just supposed to agree that Bill Snyder has been just so/so at KState then as well?  I mean the guy loses over a third of his games.  When a coach walks into a program that hasn't had a winning record in the past five years and gives them their best record in well over three decades by year five, I'd call this better than just so/so.   

The guy before Saban won 2 Big Ten titles in the 12 years he was there.  Michigan States program winning percentage was 58% before Saban and Saban's at Michigan State was 58%.  So Saban was pretty much status quo for coaches at Michigan State.

Bill Snyder is Kansas State football what he has done there has no equal and is not even in the same ballpark of what Saban did while at Michigan State.  Before Snyder KSU had a winning percentage of 36% and Snyder has won 66% of his games.  Not even close to the same situations.   

• Plus1 1