Our Athletic Director

BoNeyard

1 hour ago, Caliborn72 said:

I like him so far but he’s basically just said things I expected to hear - the “we need to to get our blackshirt defense back,” “I’m going to get the right leader,” “we have a great fanbase,” blah blah. I’m anxious, mostly in a good way, to see who he hires because I believe he will bring us a good one. But I’m also tired of getting burned by people saying all the right things. That was the entire off-season last spring basically.

He did a good job today, but he also said some things that made me ??? I know it’s probably just semantics and the way he worded his sentence, but the whole “I haven’t been told no,” thing is either misleading or wrong. It sounds like he was definitely told no by at least two options. And yes I realize that he said it in connection with “I haven’t been told no by someone I offered” but that’s not a distinction I care about.

Well it depends. Did we just call to gauge prospect interest? Then no we weren't turned-down. Did we court the prospect and he had the job if he wanted it? Then ya we did get turned-down. Moos said he had a top-6, only smart to go through channels to find-out where every one of those guys stands. Then you know where you can focus, where you can cross guys off, and whether you need to find more prospects. 

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

He needs to avoid ANY comments with regard to any negotiations and or discussions or contacts with any particular candidates.  Period.   He ought name any names except the announcement of the one he hires.   I think he needs to be careful to provide some kind of oversight or atleast a right of rejection for any assistants and or other staff positions that the new HC may want.   The assistants need to pass basic muster  such as character, background, experience, etc.  They all must follow the rules and if they have any questionable background, then the AD needs a final approval option as to each and all.  

He also needs to take a hard look at all the current staff positions.  It seems like we've added way too many non coaching positions and this inevitably will lead to conflicts, mutiny, etc.   The team of coaches need to be single minded and focused and dedicated and all working for a common goal.   The HC has GOT to be a hands on type of guy and not the CEO type.  That may have been Mike Riley's biggest mistake was trusting and entrusting too much to his staff.   I don't think Mike often was personally involved in play calling, game planning, etc. to the detail/degree needed.  He seemed to let Langs and Diaco (especially) run things too much.  Therefore, we lost the benefit of his many years of experience and in game things went awry and I think without his immediate oversight and authority.  Just my hunch but I think he tended to 'watch' the game more than directly 'direct' the game.   I wasn't there of course but that seems to me to be the apparent happening.

I'm glad you understand what Moos "needs to do".  I think I will allow him to handle things, as he has actually hired a head coach in major college football.

My God man...