The Death of Kate Steinle

A horrible story.  What haunts me most is that she was with her dad and the whole thing is a riccocet.  A horrible thing to have a child die, a worse one (imo) to have it be while you're enjoying a peaceful day together and to have it be so random.

He is a bad man.  And the city should have acknowledged this when he was released and let the folks at ICE or whomever know.  

With that said, I do believe in sanctuary cities and that there needs to be a way for all people who live here to trust the protectors and to feel like they can ask for help without the fear of getting arrested and deported.  I think there has to be an expectation of our leadership and public servants to use their judgement to some extent - I know that's asking a lot at this time when it seems we can't bank on anyone to have or use good judgement.

So I file this under: terrible, a series of the wrong things happened, I don't think it negates the fact that we have to acknowledge there are those in our community who aren't citizens who need our support and we have to make it accessible to them to use our public services.

• Plus1 2

A (possibly American?) student shot an international student to death last week in Philadelphia. I believe BRB posted about that in another thread. Gun violence is always tragic. It is plainly not preventable, but we can and should be taking steps to curb it.

The reason Trump is agitating about this case is because he knows it will whip up the base. Brown immigrant, white victim, throw "sanctuary city" in the headline. Trump will succeed, and it is disgusting. He is vile, his goals are vile, and we should refuse to play this game.

• Plus1 1

Yeah, it's a messed up case and San Francisco deserves some culpability here. The trial verdict itself is defensible, but the local bureaucracy and politicization has earned scrutiny. I might even argue that political correctness should take some of the blame.

But there is no question why this case is getting so much publicity on one of the cable networks, or that a less-attractive, non-white victim would have generated far less outrage. 

There's a sad story and avoidable outcome in every one of the 36 gun deaths that happen in the U.S. each day. 

• Plus1 2