Sustainability and Quality of Life- world wide

39 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I understand.  But, at one time there was a lot dumped there....and some still is.

Honolulu produces electricity by incinerating their waste. The waste gets reduced by something like 90% by incineration. I can't imagine that's good for air pollution/global warming but it's got to be better than dumping in it the ocean.

Edited by RedDenver

I wonder if there is some giant skimmer that can be created like those we use in pools - A problem becomes someone's opportunity - if that someone found a way to get paid by another someone to clean it up.  Set up a big recycling plant on a ship and start turning all of that junk into useful plastic products like - here is a novel concept ... a water bottle:o.  Actually wood replacement products to preserve our trees. 

So as Landlord notes above, it is flushed down the toilets of our street drainage system and spewed out to the ocean eventually. Seems like we need some kind of filter before street water gets dumped in the Vermilion River (as it goes by my home town of Parker SD), which dumps into the Big Sioux River, Which dumps into the Missouri River, which dumps into the Mississippi River which dumps into the Gulf which dumps into the Pacific via the Panama canal or around the tip of SA - thus we have the floating plastic garbage dump. 

Edited by TGHusker
  • 1 month later...