Roster management and development

tmfr15

It seems logical to me that in these first couple recruiting classes, Frost would want to sign as many top athletes as he can possibly find a way to maximize his hot new coach splash effect.   Obviously if we have another losing season next year (God forbid and I'm not forecasting such but ??), he won't be quite the hot property and recruiting may be harder when competing against the elites for the best prospects.  So, in my view, he better sign as many as he can grab while the getting is good.   We are NOT over talented at any position and depth is a problem in nearly every position.   This current class, assuming we finish it out strong and I have a good feeling that will happen, will be a big step in the right direction. 

Finish out the rest of this season with about 3 more wins would be fantastic and really give a boost to the final stretch in recruiting and get us a good head start in the next class as well.   

It would be great to see another 4 or 5 four star plus guys in the 2020 class by time signing day for this year rolls around.

I would think the most important consideration in recruiting, beyond the total numbers needed, is the find the right players in the most critical positions,   We need to build a strong two deep chart and then start loading up for the future wth a third and even fourth string.  85 scholarships and 35 walk ons ought to be sufficient to have that kind of depth.   Attrition happens due to injuries, academics, personal issues, etc. to all teams and NU would be no different.If   Thus, the depth is vital to sustaining a winning program. 

I was under the impression we have about 85 scholarships in use presently and would assume about 25 or so departures.   Not sure how we sign 30 as i have seen some suggest unless we expect that 5 or more will be leaving early for any of a number of reasons.  Frost just mentioned he doubts we'd be up to our 85 limit even with a big class.   

20 hours ago, Moiraine said:

If I was looking at this without knowing much about it (which is actually the case), and if we assume every cycle has the same # of players and amount of talent, I’d say you’d want the same # of spots to be open. Otherwise if you have a class of 14 you have to be super picky and might not have spots open for some talented players you would have otherwise gotten. Conversely with 26 spots you might be picking up some less than ideal players just because you can.

But when you get a new coach I think all of that goes out the window. Frost needs as many of his style of guys as he can get as soon as he can get them. He can fix class sizes later if he thinks it matters.

I wonder if Jessica thinks size matters.  Class size of course.