Little time for leisure

Little time for leisure

Things I’ve heard and things I know:

Nebraska coach Bill Callahan and his staff wrapped up summer camps this week, all the while keeping close tabs on recruiting.

How close? Well, more than one assistant has told me recruiting is a prominent part of Callahan’s daily dialogue with coaches throughout the summer. For instance, if Callahan asks an assistant a recruiting-related question during a staff meeting, let’s just say “I don’t know” isn’t quite the answer the boss wants to hear.

. . . The ever-increasing intensity of recruiting nationwide has cut into coaches’ summer “down” time. For years, July was a time for coaches to relax and get away. However, with an increasing number of prospects making unofficial campus visits during the summer months nowadays — NU had at least three such visitors this weekend — it’s prudent to keep South Stadium alive and open and have coaches available for these “informal” show-and-tells.

At least one thing has become clear about Callahan: He won’t be outworked by anyone in recruiting or any other phase of the game. Watching his demeanor during Friday morning's session of the Big Red Kicking Academy, one couldn’t tell whether it was June or October.

. . . Jared Glover, a linebacker/defensive end prospect from Bixby, Okla., appears close to making a choice of colleges, and the buzz is he may be leaning toward Nebraska. The 6-foot-5, 220-pound player also is considering Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Texas Tech.

. . . Kudos to Nebraska associate athletic director Tim Cassidy for leading the charge to bring ex-Huskers Kris Brown, Josh Brown, Kyle Larson and Bill Lafleur to the Big Red Kicking Academy (Sam Koch couldn’t make it because of a prior commitment). Cassidy said he was blown away by the NFL players’ humility and kindness during the camp. I’ll say this: I have to think it means a lot to the campers to hear someone like Larson tell them to “work hard and dream big.” Said Husker assistant Shawn Watson, “I don’t know if these kids realize how lucky they are. This is unbelievable.”

. . . If juco transfer I-back Kenny Wilson is as impressive during summer workouts as what I’ve been hearing, there figures to be a captivating battle for playing time at the position during preseason camp. Don’t forget about junior Brandon Jackson, who missed the spring with a shoulder injury but is determined to make a splash in 2006 the way he did in 2004. For what it’s worth, I still think Cody Glenn will emerge atop the heap . . . . Running back-by-committee anyone?

. . . Also have heard that freshman-to-be D.J. Jones out of Omaha Central has raised eyebrows with his prowess in summer drills.

. . . Finally, I guess the devil really is in the details. Josh Brown wasn’t thrilled last week to learn that the Seattle Seahawks released veteran punter Tom Rouen, who also served as the team’s holder for place-kicks. In fact, Rouen was a darned good holder and replacing him won’t be as easy as people might think, Brown said. So now it’s time for Brown to break in 255-pound rookie punter Ryan Plackemeier, an All-American last season at Wake Forest. I guess now the Demon Deacon’s in the details. Or something like that.

Loved it wish their were more reports on the summer drills and such but I will have to take my table scraps and be happy i suppose. Yeah I have heard from the beginning of BC era that he doesnt slack on recruiting that is why the panic buttons can be not only stored but stored in such a manner that they are out of sight and collecting dust. Back the coach and back the Huskers already folks. Be excited be ready for another exciting recruiting class and another year of improvements returning NU to their rightful place at the top of the food chain! :power