Stadium Capacity?

LINCOLN - Nebraska hasn't yet determined its new capacity for Memorial Stadium, but the number likely will rank third in the Big 12 and within a thousand seats of the home fields for both Texas A&M and Oklahoma.

Athletic Director Steve Pederson said NU is in the final stages of installing and numbering seat planks in the North Stadium.

"I'm guessing that we'll end up hitting around 81,500," Pederson said. "Maybe closer to 82,000."

Texas A&M lists capacity for Kyle Field at 82,600, and Oklahoma's figure for Gaylord Family-Memorial Stadium is 82,112. Texas' capacity for Royal-Memorial Stadium is 80,082. The record single-game attendance for each stadium is 84,000-plus.

Nebraska is adding roughly 6,500 seats and 13 skyboxes to the North Stadium as part of the $50 million football project to be completed before the 2006 season. It recently notified fans who were picked to purchase season tickets in those sections, although some seats have been held back and, if available, will go to those at the top of a new waiting list.

"We didn't want to promise somebody a seat we don't have," Pederson said. "Shortly, we should be able to go up there and see what (we have)."

NU previously listed Memorial Stadium capacity at 73,918, but 2005 home crowds ranged from 77,300 to 77,800, and the single-game record is 78,268 (2002 vs. Texas).

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2200462

not to diss SteveP but come on...capacity was 78k or so (see above records)

78,000+6,500=84,500 (anyone else see the fuzzy math?)

Edited by huskerdavo

the actual capacity of the stadium is currently (according to the 2005 media guide) 73,918. When you get players, coaches, media members, boy scouts, vendors etc. into the stadium, that's when you see the attendance at 78,268. If you do that math according to that number, that puts an extra 4,350 people into the stadium. Now add 6,500 onto the 73,918 and you get: 80,418. Now with the extra people that's when you'll see the number go up to 84,000 + but I believe Steve P was talking about the actual capacity of the stadium when empty....

Way too much math at 6:16 in the morning! :o

Texas game...................God I can't wait for it!!!! Sorry only game I get to go to this year most likely so I'm looking forward to it!!!! :lol:chuckleshuffle

I hope we both get to see it LIVE and in the flesh...it is the most anticipated Big 12 game for me anyways. :ahhhhhhhh

If this season doesnt start soon I am going to jump out of my skin

IMO that would be silly. They should add 10-15 more rows in the EAST stadium. (sideling seating)

I think the East side should be the next major project started in about two years. We should be able to add 20,000 + seats and get us over 100,000 :thumbs

thats what I want in the near and dear future. :cheers

IMO that would be silly.  They should add 10-15 more rows in the EAST stadium. (sideling seating)

I think the East side should be the next major project started in about two years. We should be able to add 20,000 + seats and get us over 100,000 :thumbs

there will be some concern about the sellout streak if they put the capacity over 100k. not that i am concerned, i think we could fill it.

IMO that would be silly.  They should add 10-15 more rows in the EAST stadium. (sideling seating)

there will be some concern about the sellout streak if they put the capacity over 100k. not that i am concerned, i think we could fill it.

I don't think there would be a problem either...It would be really sweet to add on the east side though and make our stadium more closed in and dome shaped.