Shane Komine to start vs Blue Jays

Report: To Start For A's Sunday

by Melissa Lockard of OaklandClubhouse.com, July 27, 2006 at 12:34pm ET

According to the Honolulu Advertiser, the A's will be recalling right-hander Shane Komine to Oakland on Sunday to start against the Toronto Blue Jays. Komine will likely replace Randy Keisler on the A's roster. The Hawaiian native has been nearly unhittable for a month now. He has won six straight starts and has lowered his ERA from nearly 5.00 to 3.89. In his last outing, Komine went eight shutout innings, allowing only four hits and striking out nine. He features a mid-90s fastball, a power curveball, a change-up and a slider. Komine's start on Sunday will be his major league debut. He will be the second A's starter to debut this month. Jason Windsor made his major league debut last week and was sent back down to Sacramento on Tuesday after being roughed up by the Boston Red Sox.

Athletics call up former Husker Komine

BY BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

For anyone who laid odds that former Husker Shane Komine was too small or didn’t have the goods to make it to the big leagues — pay up.

This weekend, the 5-foot-9, 170-pound pitcher will realize a long-chased dream. He’ll become a major-league ballplayer.

Komine will get the start for the Oakland Athletics on Sunday when they host the Toronto Blue Jays.

“This is what I worked for my whole life,” the 25-year-old said by phone Thursday afternoon as he waited in a New Mexico airport to catch a flight to Oakland, Calif.

Shane Komine pitches against Clemson at the College World Series in Omaha in 2002. (William Lauer)

He will be making his major-league debut for an A’s team in the thick of a pennant race. Oakland entered its Thursday game tied with the Los Angeles Angels for first place in the American League’s West Division.

Given all that, surely Komine will have sweaty palms when he takes the hill Sunday?

“I doubt it,” he said. “I just take it like another start. It’s the same game, just a bigger crowd.”

Komine has been a rock of late, winning his last six starts for the Athletics’ Triple-A club, the Sacramento River Cats. It’s helped him improve to 9-7 after a shaky start.

Some scouts may have seen this coming. Before this season, the right-hander dominated in the Arizona Fall League, compiling a 1.14 ERA in five starts against some heavy-hitting lineups.

Pretty good stuff from any guy, but especially from one who had Tommy John (reconstructive elbow) surgery two years ago.

At Nebraska, he struck out a school-record 510 batters in 423 innings. He was a two-time first-team All-American.

Still, there was always that question: Yeah, you’re good, but how do you make it to The Show at your size?

“Ever since I was little, it’s always been told to me that I’m too small,” Komine said. “All that did was make me work harder.”

• 2 weeks later...

and back to the minors....

I heard that too, but why would he be sent back down after making his 1st career mlb start when he only gave up 1 run?

They didn't give him much of a chance. In his second start against the Rangers he lasted only 3 innings giving up a couple 2 R homeruns. They must not have thought he is ready. Hopefully he'll be back up in a few weeks with the roster expansion.

I don't know if its what Shane has done that has him going back down to the minors but more like what the other players on the team have done or are ready to do. I.E. they want looks at other pitching prospects, regulars coming off of I.R, or maybe he just didn't have the control they thought he had.

and back to the minors....

I heard that too, but why would he be sent back down after making his 1st career mlb start when he only gave up 1 run?

They didn't give him much of a chance. In his second start against the Rangers he lasted only 3 innings giving up a couple 2 R homeruns. They must not have thought he is ready. Hopefully he'll be back up in a few weeks with the roster expansion.

I wasn't aware that he had another start. Doesn't sound like he did too well in that one. Pitching neck and neck with Halladay is impressive though as he did in his 1st start.