Beck's Next Move

GSG

this offense really has to suck. Have to wait 1-1/2 years to get a tough NFL type system down and get playing time. Then......Before you know it.......you are one of the best QB's in the draft. ie Palmer, Leinart, Roethlisberger, Carr

Man why won't Coach water down the offense????

:sarcasm

Great point. Why set up an offense that is a proven winner at the highest level of football? :sarcasm

Let me see if I understand this or not...he was a top recruit, then Red Shirted to mature and learn the system, and just because he was brought in for what turned out to be 1 game he is supposed to be the next Tommie Frazier, Turner Gill, Scott Frost, or Eric Crouch. He hasn't done a thing yet...yes what he did last year coming in for Taylor was great, but it was an emergency situation. Everyone has had to come in take their licks, and get their ass-kicked, maybe that is why he didn't like it in Lincoln...he was getting his ass kicked. Well I guess the partial Red Shirt didn't bring about any maturity...good-bye

i REALLY think the complications of this offense deturrs kids from coming here to be qb's (hence our qb recrutiing probs)....they already can see the system will not be "watered down" for them so they can come in and contribute early.....so they are almost guaranteed to be on the bench for AT LEAST 1 1/2 seasons.....strike 3

so is Cally wrong in not simplifying the system? maybe so...... :confucius

i don't know, i am thinking Taylor is the exception and was able to quickly pick up the system.......i honestly don't think there are many like him......i am not defending Beck, but i think it is time Cally reevaluates the complexity of the system, especially for qb's........

hunter

:dis

I think some kids go elsewhere because they go hook line and sinker for some coaches bullsh#t sales pitch.

I don't think Taylor is THE exception, I think he is AN exception. Lots of offenses are geared towards having a mobile qb that can run or pass out of most formations. This offense is based upon formation shifts creating mismatches and picking apart a defense with the short pass. By game 4 last year, Taylor had thrown for 400+ yards. He was without, a solid offensive line, a formidable rushing attack, a tight end threat, or a true go to receiver until Swift emerged. He made it that far with one spring and one fall practice. Do the math, a kid comes in, redshirts for a year, sits and plays sparingly in the redshirt frosh year and is ready to take over if needed in redshirt sophomore year with 2 full years in the system. Way more experience than Taylor had. I think Taylor is doing an exceptional job, but he is not the only QB that can pick this offense up. The offense will only be easier with a strong line, a consistent ground attack and tall pass catching threats at tight end and receiver. For Ganz and Davis, this is year 3 in the system. I would like to see what they could do running with the first team offense. The spring game featured them with the second teamers against probably the best defense in the conference. It didn't really show us much.

I think if anything, this makes NU the most attractive destination for a JUCO QB this year. Someone who is maybe better prepared than Beck would have been with the same time to play.

once again, what do we (the fans and the coaches) take away from this experience? as for Beck, he was a high profile California kid......was already used to being in the lime light and treated that way......strike 1

look, guys, we are trying to run the most sophisticated offense in all of college ball...i said it from the beginning....no way was he gonna learn and command this offense in his freshman year, let alone get a real good grip before he was well into his sophomore season....he wanted to play now...strike 2

i REALLY think the complications of this offense deturrs kids from coming here to be qb's (hence our qb recrutiing probs)....they already can see the system will not be "watered down" for them so they can come in and contribute early.....so they are almost guaranteed to be on the bench for AT LEAST 1 1/2 seasons.....strike 3

so is Cally wrong in not simplifying the system? maybe so...... :confucius

i don't know, i am thinking Taylor is the exception and was able to quickly pick up the system.......i honestly don't think there are many like him......i am not defending Beck, but i think it is time Cally reevaluates the complexity of the system, especially for qb's........

hunter

I think there are three primary reasons there hasn't been a flood of high-profile quarterbacks:

1. Nebraska hasn't established a reputation yet as a "NFL-prep, pass-friendly" school. It will - just takes time. But what that means is that when a kid looks at schools that he thinks will develop him for "the next level", Nebraska doesn't spring to mind - he looks to the schools that he grew up watching that had the kind of offense he wants to play.

2. Since at least the Solich era, Nebraska has not been a true national power as of old. Kids want to go where they think they can get exposure and win. Nebraska didn't fit that profile. That will change soon.

3. Possibly having Beck scared off a few recruits - not that they didn't think they were good enough, but that they thought the "natural progression" would inevitably result in them having to sit behind Beck.

I think a few players other than Beck are scaring recruits off a little. There have been a couple players leaving, complaining about pt, and others almost leaving, so it causes some recruits to take notice. Things will be fine once we have another good year this year, and the big time qb's will want to play under BC.

It would be intruiging if Beck goes over to OU. But I can't really imagine Bob Stoops saying, "Folks, The TEAM is more important than the INDIVIDUAL. We are STRONGER as a program because this TERRIBLE SCANDAL came out. That said, I am pretty desparate and we need a quarterback. Welcome, Harrison Beck, and Harrison Beck's mother. He will start right away, of course, because Thompson is just mediocre."

I mean, as cool as it would be to lay the smackdown on Beck in the Big XII CCG, and as much as I don't like OU football, I give Bob Stoops more credit than that.

I'm not going to try and excuse Beck's actions but its easy to see where this all came from. By all accounts he was trying to take more of a leadership role this summer and become more focused on football. He dropped some weight and tried to come into camp fully prepared. Its not hard to imagine how disappointed he must have been to see his name at 4th string (if that's really the case). From what his mom said publicly its pretty much guaranteed he'd been hearing all that stuff and more privately and I'm sure that's what he wanted to believe - that he should be the starter and he wasn't getting a fair opportunity to show and develop his skills. The kids only 18 and most of us possessed very little maturity at that age. Take that level of immaturity and subtract the type of parents who will tell you to stick it out and make the most of it - leon jackson anyone? - of course he was going to leave.

Given that he's still young, with the the right kind of coaches and a wide open opportunity he could become a serviceable quarterback. I really don't see that happening in the SEC though, unless its Kentucky. Several of those teams have their stud qb of the future and the ones who don't are exactly known for their patience with fragile ego quarterbacks (Spurrier). As a fan of Nebraska I'll say good luck to him, but I also have to wonder why he couldn't just look to the future and see where it could have led him here at NU.

perfect example of why not to make a rash decision with out taking the time to find the facts and then decide. He split to gather his thoughts and find himself and mommie spoke out giving him the exit excuse he was looking for. SEE YA. Maybe mommie can get a job as a analyst for espn to help out that piece of sh#t mark may