Maric not coming back

Where did you hear this from? Is he transfering? Going over seas to play ball? or just quitting the game?

I'm not for sure. If it has anything to do with us hiring Sadler, I would be surprised. Us hiring someone who is way more likely to show off what his talents can do is the smartest thing we ever could have done, but I guess he doesn't see that.

per omaha.com

Maric leaving NU basketball

BY LEE BARFKNECHT

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Aleks Maric is ready to say goodbye to the Nebraska basketball program.

The 6-foot-11 junior center said by phone Monday night from Australia that he has asked to be released from his scholarship.

The honorable mention All-Big 12 pick said he is looking at two options: transferring to another Division I school or going to Europe to play professionally.

Does that mean he definitely won't return to NU?

"I wouldn't say it's 100 percent,'' Maric said, "but it's more than likely.''

Nebraska hasn't granted his release yet. Maric said Husker officials asked him to take some time to think. His departure would leave NU with only two players taller than 6-7 - 6-9 sophomore reserve forward Jim Ledsome and 6-8 redshirt freshman Chris Balham.

Maric, playing this summer with the Australian national team, is aware that Nebraska today will announce the hiring of Doc Sadler as its new head coach.

Asked what he knew about Sadler, Maric said: "I see that he has only been a college head coach for two years.''

Maric is NU's top returning scorer (10.9) and rebounder (8.1). He said he will miss Nebraska, but that the double-barreled jolt of assistant Scott Spinelli and head coach Barry Collier leaving within four months of each other might be too much to overcome.

"I loved every minute of my time at Nebraska,'' Maric said. "I respect the university, and I love the Nebraska people.''

If this stays true, I think the new coach will definitely have a tough time next year. I'm not expecting anything better than last year. The team lost quite a few players. I'll try to be optimistic, but won't get my hopes up.

:yeah If Maric doesn't come back we will have one very poor season. Probably around the .500 mark.

I think this should be the new coaches first priority is to make sure that all the players from last year are coming back. Maric might be the most important and he (IMO) is the most talented. He is pretty much out of time to recruit any more players so he better get the ones we have on the floor this up coming season.

I think this should be the new coaches first priority is to make sure that all the players from last year are coming back. Maric might be the most important and he (IMO) is the most talented. He is pretty much out of time to recruit any more players so he better get the ones we have on the floor this up coming season.

That is what Doc is doing too...he is trying to keep all the players from leaving. Without Maric we don't have a player over 6-9, nor an experienced one. It is important for him to come back so we can buy time of other players coming in to replace him. There is talk also about Jamel White maybe not coming back, but I don't know how serious that is. White is the one that brought this year recruit in Roburt Sallie here and Sallie seems pretty solid to stay so I'm betting White will stay.

Jamel White update

Marc Boehm says he talked to Jamel White on Thursday, and Jamel is "very committed" to the program. Nothing has changed with Maric's status as an ex-Husker.

No word on what's going to happen with the assistant coaches. It could be a few days before Sadler is able to start putting together a staff.

http://www.journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php

Good to see there is no worry with White. Maric is still to be known though.