Does Defense Win Championships

If I were the coach, I take a great defense over a great offense 10 out of 10 times.

:yeah

The thing about defense is it is almost always consistent. An offense can be hit or miss - so much of it is timing.

But with a great - or even very good - defense, you can "afford" some of those inevitable times when the offense simply isn't clicking.

Defense doesnt win championships. Maybe if the USC coach agree'd with that question he would have punted the ball (instead of going for it on 4th and 2). I remember when asked about it after the game he gave a cop-out answer like "They would have gone 80 yards and scored anyway".

Defense doesnt win championships. Maybe if the USC coach agree'd with that question he would have punted the ball (instead of going for it on 4th and 2). I remember when asked about it after the game he gave a cop-out answer like "They would have gone 80 yards and scored anyway".

I agree that Texas would have scored anyways. Vince Young was playin too good in that game. I don't care if he had to go 50 yards or 99 yards, Texas was going to win the game. I would have gone for the first down too.

From the NCAA website.

USC 2006 national ranking

Total Offense 1 579.77

Total Defense 48 360.92

Texas 2006 national ranking

Total Offense 3 512.08

Total Defense 10 302.92

Both were top three offense, only one was top 10 on defense. Which team won the NC?

BOTH teams had highly ranked offenses and defenses.

It generally takes both to get a NC title. JMO

Doesn't always happen that way, but I suspect it's more common than generally thought.

The saying "Defenses win championships", apply more to the pros than in the NFL IMO.

I will say this though. You usually don't get to the championship without a good defense in both pro and college. So I like to think ... Good defense helps put you in position to win championships.

One thing for certain... In our case we need to put more points up on the board than what we've seen in the last few yrs.