Where would the 2004 recruiting class rank now?

With Jackson and Beck gone, where do you think the 2004 recruiting class would have ranked? From all the hype around Beck and Marlon Lucky, I was under the impression these two players are what got us to our #1 or #2 recruting class. Now with one of the high profile players gone and Jackson was a big time recruit as well, where does the class rank now?

It's one thing to be a great recruiter, but if you can't keep the players here what good is it? The 2005 recruting class wasn't ranked nearly as high. Were too many promises made to the 04 recruits, or is Nebraska become a much more difficult place to recruit to? Maybe Solich's recruiting classes weren't as bad as advertised!

Apples and oranges.

When a class signs, but before they perform, all you can base a ranking on is potential. Remove the potential and the ranking suffers until you can judge the class on performance.

There are two ways to rank a class - before they report, and after their eligibility period expires. The former is based on potential - the latter on results. If this class brings in championships, then they will be ranked on that, and the fact that some of the members of the class washed out is irrelevant.

We're now past the potential stage. The only way to rank that class now is based on performance - and then only after their eligibility is gone.

I believe that Rivals or Scouts ranks each class as they are exiting school and then compare them from when they were recruited to how they ended up.

Leave the scouting to the coaches. Websites and magazines just create the frenzy for fans to sell subscriptions or get hits on their site to sell ad space. Sure it's fun to look at, but if they were THAT good at scouting....wouldn't they probably be on a great D-I staff?

After all....great recruiters know where to look (and who to have the connections with) to find those diamonds in the rough that don't get a second look from the scouting media. There are plenty of 2 and 3 stars out there that aren't seen as superstars coming in, but end up taking over (or taking from) a starting job from a 4-5 star.

Prove it on the field. I have no problem with a player believing they are great...it means they expect a lot of themselves...but show it to me first before you tell me about it.