Loco Moco

I came across this on Tik Tok the other day, labeled as a "Hawaiian Comfort food." I unfortunately forgot to take a picture after I made it and before I ate it, so here's a tentative one from the interwebs that I will replace asap... because I'll definitely be making this again.

I'm actually not sure I really agree with it being labeled "comfort food" though, at least based on what I normally see labeled as such in America. I mean yes, it has gravy... but it's not a particularly unhealthy gravy and could honestly be skipped all together if desired.

Ingredients (for four people)

- 1 lb ground beef (I personally only buy lean, grass fed, organic beef... but you do you here)

- Four eggs

- One cup dry, rinsed, white jasmine rice

- One thinly diced green onion

- 1/4 cup of flour (could probably substitute cornstarch)

- 1/4 cup soy sauce

- 2 cups beef stock (can use three if you like a runnier gravy)

- 1 TBSP of butter (optional)

- Garlic powder

- Salt

- Pepper

1) Cook jasmine rice to package instructions.

2) While rice is cooking, take the ground beef and turn it into four evenly sized hamburger patties. Season both sides well with garlic powder, salt and pepper.

3) In a sauté pan pre-heated over medium to medium high heat, cook the patties 2-3 minutes each side or to desired doneness (two minutes each side on my gas stove gives me about a medium rare to medium hamburger patty)

4) Remove the beef once it's done. In the same pan, add the flour and cook in the beef drippings for about a minute. Then add half the beef stock and all the soy sauce. Let the gravy thicken, add the remaining beef stock, the optional butter, and simmer for a couple more minutes.

5) In a separate sauté pan over medium-low to medium heat, crack four eggs and fry them sunny side up.

6) Once all the food is cooked, take a plate and put down one serving of the cooked rice, one beef patty, some of the gravy, the fried egg and then top with green onions. For a little extra flavor, put some freshly cracked pepper on top of the gravy.

And that's it. Super simple, super delicious, and around ~500 calories per serving if you go with a lean ground beef. Skipping the butter and gravy isn't a bad idea if you're watching calories as the runny egg yolk already provides a gravy-like texture.

Loco-Moco-Lead.jpg

• Oh Yeah! 2