ESPN's Joe Schad Reports Keller is N!

This getting very messy.

By John Helsley

The Oklahoman

Reports have Arizona State quarterback Sam Keller transferring to Nebraska.

Not so fast, the player's father said Tuesday, even as the Lincoln Journal Star was set to report today that signs point to Keller joining the Cornhuskers as early as today.

Mike Keller, Sam's dad, said Tuesday night not to dismiss a move by his son to Oklahoma, or a number of schools.

"I had a phone conversation with Bob Stoops (Tuesday)," Mike Keller said. "And there are some other schools we're talking to. It's been a very hectic couple of days."

But in today's Journal Star it was reported that word of Keller's arrival had already reached the team.

Asked what he was told about Keller, backup quarterback Joe Ganz told the Journal Star: "That things didn't work out at Arizona State for him, and they said he was interested in coming here, so they were going to bring him in."

Speculation began after a bizarre weekend at Arizona State, where Sam Keller was named the starter on Friday and then in an about-face by Sun Devils coach Dirk Koetter, bumped from the job a day later in what Koetter termed "a mistake."

Although word spread Tuesday that Keller was bound for Nebraska, Mike Keller insisted that wasn't the case.

"I've seen some of the things that have been written about Nebraska and I'm just flabbergasted," said Mike Keller, sounding genuinely frustrated. "There is no deal and no decision's been made.

"I read one place where Sam and I were supposed to be in Lincoln, which couldn't be further from the truth."

Either the reports are premature, or Mike Keller is playing coy.

On the field, Sam Keller has been productive. In his first start, subbing for an injured Andrew Walter in the 2004 Sun Bowl, he was named Most Valuable Player after throwing for 370 yards and two touchdowns in a comeback win over Purdue.

He had 2,165 yards and 20 touchdowns last year through seven games, when his season ended due to an injured thumb.

Sam Keller is a senior, yet he does have a redshirt year remaining should he choose to transfer to a Division I-A school, where he'd have to sit out this season. He could also transfer down to Division I-AA, Division II or NAIA and play immediately.

On the major college level, Keller would be seeking a situation where a school has no strong starting candidate for 2007.

OU fits that scenario. Paul Thompson is a senior and backups Joey Halzle and Sam Bradford haven't attempted a Division I pass.

But Nebraska and others also hold similar needs at quarterback.

With school in session, Sam Keller can't afford to miss too many classes before it takes a toll academically.

"I told Sam that he needs to make up his mind on which schools he's going to consider and if there's any that he might want to visit," Mike Keller said. "We don't have much time."

I don't recall seeing anything saying Keller and Co. were in Lincoln or decided on Nebraska in any Nebraska newspapers. If anything it was written on espn and other national sites. Either that or Mr. Keller spends a lot of time in chat rooms checking rumors.

My bet is that the Oklahoman put the idea in his head sort of like "What's your response to Nebraska papers saying you've already decided on Lincoln" stuff. Another reason to hate Oklahoma.