Rollcall: Who's going to the A&M game?

krc1995

Me!! I haven't been to a road game in- well since Bo coached the bowl game after Frank was canned and I am so excited I can hardly sit. Who else is going and what you gonna do before the game? We don't have alot of time, we'll just be getting into town around 2ish, but I would appreciate some advice about things to do/see and be before the game.

We're driving over from San Antonio. Very excited! I have no idea how anything is laid out though so we'll be winging it.

I am excited to be around the Aggie fans too. I've heard good things about them. We went to Texas Tech two years ago and the fans there were absolutely horrible.

I live in College Station...my husband and I will be at the game. Who all is tailgating?!?! We'll be looking for our fellow Husker fans. We are in section 501.

What kind of food are ya'll looking for? BBQ? (There are some good local places)

Honestly...the Aggie fans aren't that great...I've been here for almost 5 years...many of them take pride in destroying a town when they travel. Of course that isn't all of them and there should be some good tailgates to stop by. If anyone wants info on how town is set up or places to park, etc. let me know!

We will have 2 RV's parked side by side that will be full of members of my family who went to A&M and members of my family who grew up in Nebraska and went to UNL. We will be pulling in on Friday and leaving after breakfast on Sunday, I've been looking forward to it all year. Here is what there is to do on a game weekend in College Station:

If you like to partake in an adult beverage or two, Northgate is where it's at. Northgate is not one bar, but a group of bars, restaurants and shops on University Dr. (FM 60) between College Main Dr. and Welborn Rd. The most famous bar in this area is the Dixie Chicken. The Chicken is an old school Texas bar complete with a back porch, pool tables, dominos, country music, taxidermy on the walls and cold cheap beer.

My favorite place is the Corner Bar, and it has become more popular in recent years since they've expanded in size and added a 3rd floor balcony patio (the weather will be great this weekend btw). It's a good socializing/sports bar with a great view. Other places that I recommend are Fitzwilly's (good bar food), The Dry Bean Saloon (shot bar...nothing but shots), Mad Hatters, O'Bannons, Zapatos and Logan's. If you want to dance there's a place called Daisy Dukes (haven't been since I was a sophmore and it had a different name) or two places a little further away are Hurricane Harry's, east on University or The Texas Hall of Fame (in Bryan off hwy 2818). Most of these places are 21 and up and will be packed Friday night and Saturday night during and after the game.

There is a parking garage north of the bars that is $10 a day on game days. On Saturday, some of these places will start to fill up around noon and it's about a 10 minute walk across campus to Kyle Field. If you came to the games in 1998 or 2002, you can no longer bring your own alcohol to the back promonade on Northgate and socialize (a little bit of me died when they outlawed this). If you have been drinking on Friday or Saturday night and can't drive home you can get a free ride from Carpool, an A&M student organization, just call them at 979-693-9905. Some decent restaurants in the Northgate area include La Bodega, Cafe Eccel, and Freebird's world famous burritos (until everyone else on the planet copied them.....). Most of the places I mentioned have websites, just google them.

Midnight yell practice is at Kyle Field on Friday night and starts at (you guessed it) midnight. If you are looking for a unique college tradition you will want to go and show up around 11:40 (parking can be a bit of a pain so give yourself some time). You are not forced to participate, you are welcome to wear red, our yell leaders will tell some stories with smack talk - but it's all in good fun, and when they turn the lights out at the end you kiss your date. It's a great college tradition that everyone should see at least once.

If you are looking for more of a family atmosphere, the Aggie fan zone is located on the north end of Kyle Field on game day and has all sorts of activities: games, moon bounce, A&M athletic museum, food, etc (http://www.aggieathletics.com/school-bio/aggie-fan-zone.html).

Tailgates will be located on the east side and west side of Kyle Field. I've been surrounded by both fan bases all my life and you may find this blasphemous, but Aggie fans are just as friendly as Husker fans. We my not give a standing ovation to teams we've just beaten as they leave the field, but if you come over and want to talk football or shoot the bull we are more than happy to do so and will most likely share some food and drink with you as well.

The Corps of Cadets and Fighting Texas Aggie Band march in will start around 5:30 on Friday night on the northeast side of the stadium before they enter Kyle Field. If you are sitting in the 300, 400, or 500 sections be prepared to walk up ramps and more ramps and more ramps. If you need an elevator they do have them but the line is lengthy. I'm usually in my seats 45 minutes before gametime to soak it all in (if you're sensitive to noise, bring your ear plugs ;). I hope everyone has a safe trip and enjoys their stay. Thanks and Gig'em,

Thanks to my new Aggie boardbuddies. Your stadium is one that I have always said is THE one I wanted to visit when the big 12 formed and now it's now or never. I really hope to find my 2nd favorite team this weekend.

BTW- looks like its the Dixie Chicken and the Corner Bar for us. We won't be pulling into town until 2ish, so any recommendations for parking at that time?

Thanks to my new Aggie boardbuddies. Your stadium is one that I have always said is THE one I wanted to visit when the big 12 formed and now it's now or never. I really hope to find my 2nd favorite team this weekend.

BTW- looks like its the Dixie Chicken and the Corner Bar for us. We won't be pulling into town until 2ish, so any recommendations for parking at that time?

My link

Be there around noon from SA, with 6 total... 3 kids... To see the last regular season game in Texas, not counting the Big 12 Championship...

I was at the first Big 12 game vs A&M and now I will be at the last... Fitting...

Its an amazing place and the most intimating stadium Ive ever seen football played...

Thanks for all the pointers about parking and partying... Every 3 yrs isnt enough to commit it to memory :)

Also, for those that will be in College Station on Friday...2 future Huskers, DB Charles Jackson and LB David Santos, will be playing for Klein Collins in the 2nd Round of the 5A Division I (Largest class) playoffs at 7:30 PM vs. Austin Bowie at A&M Consolidated High School.

If you've never witnessed Texas High School football, or just want to check out a few future Blackshirts, I highly recommend taking in the game...they should get a chance to really shine and the game will not be in the balance for long.

As far as Game Day goes, I've been told by many Aggie buddies that Northgate is the place to be before the game. If you are looking to tailgate, set up at the Basketball Arena...

GO BIG RED!!!

Oh and I'll be in the middle of the Maroon Mob in Section 210...

I will be going with my group, +3 and then i know of 90+ people going (all the Houston 4 huskers members that bought tickets. Cash parking I hear might fill up fast.

Also heard that all the Frats and Sororities are on suspension for alcohol related violations. The "atmosphere" could be kinda tame if those guys cant tailgate like they are used to.

I will be going with my group, +3 and then i know of 90+ people going (all the Houston 4 huskers members that bought tickets. Cash parking I hear might fill up fast.

Also heard that all the Frats and Sororities are on suspension for alcohol related violations. The "atmosphere" could be kinda tame if those guys cant tailgate like they are used to.

Frats & sororities aren't huge at A&M, so I'd be surprised if that has any effect on tailgating. Hope everyone has a great time!