Silent Commit

Other QB prospects?

It looks like Cade Cooper is another JUCO interested in Nebraska. link

Yet it may difficult to beat BYU and Utah out for a LDS. But since he took his mission already then that might even the field.

That is the school where Victory Haines came from. Building those connections. :restore2

It looks like Cade Cooper is another JUCO interested in Nebraska. link

Yet it may difficult to beat BYU and Utah out for a LDS. But since he took his mission already then that might even the field.

That is the school where Victory Haines came from. Building those connections. :restore2

good connections too. This school and Butler C.C. have very solid football programs. i like this farm system we are building :D

It would be against NCAA rules for me to go plant a NU flag in his front yard right??

HE only lives about 3 miles from my house.  Who'd a thunk it.  I think any HS kid will thrive in the NU weight room and if he has the skills down should bulk up pretty well.  Excluding Beau the beanpole.  :)

That's one of the things about Chasen Stangal. If he was 6'2" - 200pounds...he would already have the offer. But he's not.Has some nice skills though. His ball is a little soft, but has good technique, very good three step drop, and seems to know where to go with the ball. :restore2

Chasen Stangel has committed to UTEP!!

do you think that we are still trying to get a JUCO QB this year?

yes. a mid-term juco guy that can come in during the spring. We wont be completely shutting down the HS QB recruitment, just out of anxiety from Freeman last year, but we pretty much got our guy with Patrick Witt. Witt has excellent character, maturity, and is smart enough to know (unlike Freeman) that NEBRASKA is one helluva opportunity.

I agree we are probably done with HS this year but who knows may be able to grab another decent gem out there. I do expect a JUCO this year but recruiting for them doesnt really start until August. Expect one this year. That will give us three guys to go into Spring with. :thumbs

We'll he couldn't wait on the NU coaches forever....

we didn't want him.......good kid, just didn't fit the proto-typical WCO QB mold.......

hunter

I agree we are probably done with HS this year but who knows may be able to grab another decent gem out there. I do expect a JUCO this year but recruiting for them doesnt really start until August. Expect one this year. That will give us three guys to go into Spring with. :thumbs

nope, we get another HS kid and probably a JUCO......Cally needs another HS product to develop.....maybe Washington, maybe someone else...IMHO, the guys behind Beck just don't measure up....good kids, not enough raw talent

hunter

i think that Washington could be a dangerous QB with some coaching, but with his talent and athletic ability it will be hard to keep him off of the field, and he can get some quality PT on the defensive side of the ball right away

I agree we are probably done with HS this year but who knows may be able to grab another decent gem out there. I do expect a JUCO this year but recruiting for them doesnt really start until August. Expect one this year. That will give us three guys to go into Spring with.  :thumbs

nope, we get another HS kid and probably a JUCO......Cally needs another HS product to develop.....maybe Washington, maybe someone else...IMHO, the guys behind Beck just don't measure up....good kids, not enough raw talent

hunter

could be, but sean callahan on sports nightly the other night said that NEBRASKA is pretty much finished with High school QBs and are now looking into the jucos.

i really hope that is not true, i think we need to get "in the habit" of taking 2 good HS QBs every year, the old guarantee of taking only one HS QB each year should have been discarded by now......just not a good practice......if you look at where most of the top guys (this year's most highly recruited kids) went, they will have to wait at least a year if not 2 before they can start......we need depth at the QB spot too......

hunter

i really hope that is not true, i think we need to get "in the habit" of taking 2 good HS QBs every year, the old guarantee of taking only one HS QB each year should have been discarded by now......just not a good practice......if you look at where most of the top guys (this year's most highly recruited kids) went, they will have to wait at least a year if not 2 before they can start......we need depth at the QB spot too......

hunter

:dis

I don't think we need to bring in two HS QB's a year. We need to bring in one good QB, and determine what the needs of the class are for the scholarship. This year, we definately need 2 if not 3 QB's. But I think giving 2 scholorships away each year on a QB is a waste. You could have 10 schollies used up in a year. I thought it was rediculous a year or two ago (can't remember) when NU had 7 (I think) qb's on schollie.

hunter

hey nothing is set in stone. Fact of the matter is that we have way too many QBs on scholarship, even though some will never see the field, we cant waste too many scholarships when other positions have needs as well. A good JUCO and Witt will suffice for me, especially if Witt redshirts and masters the offense. The juco QB is a necessity, and if he is a warrior like Zac Taylor, i think we would be better off.

fact of the matter is, we have no depth at qb.......until you get there you need to recruit more than one HS kid with raw talent.....having established some depth, yes then you could fall back to taking one kid a year, but we are not there yet....in fact we are pinning our hopes entirely on Beck, who appears to be prone to injury at this point.....not a comfortable position to be in right now.....chances are neither Ganz nor Davis will ever see the field, unless Beck goes down next year or thereafter......remember, we took no one last year........after Freeman skipped out, that leaves us one year or one more kid behind.....the fact that Ganz and Davis are on schollies as qb's is a matter of "forced history"...nice guys, but neither were brought in with any real expectations.....that's the reality of the siutation IMHO........

hunter

fact of the matter is, we have no depth at qb.......until you get there you need to recruit more than one HS kid with raw talent.....having established some depth, yes then you could fall back to taking one kid a year, but we are not there yet....in fact we are pinning our hopes entirely on Beck, who appears to be prone to injury at this point.....not a comfortable position to be in right now.....chances are neither Ganz nor Davis will ever see the field, unless Beck goes down next year or thereafter......remember, we took no one last year........after Freeman skipped out, that leaves us one year or one more kid behind.....the fact that Ganz and Davis are on schollies as qb's is a matter of "forced history"...nice guys, but neither were brought in with any real expectations.....that's the reality of the siutation IMHO........

hunter

if they werent brought in without any real expectations, then why were they brought in?

but in regards to the rest of the post, thats why we are going the juco route. We dont want to hand out a scholarship to a kid that isnt that good just because we need another QB. He will have to be good, and there are some good ones out there still. We are a little behind in the QB recruiting cycle, and with that much ground to make up, it will be awfully hard to convince another QB to sign in a class that will have 2 qbs, 1 highschool and 1 juco.

that would be a deal breaker for bringing in any future kids......you got to sell creditability in your program........

hunter

if you give a kid a schollie is that for 4 yrs or can the coaches reject it later?

My recollection is that the NCAA "killed" the use of 4-year and "non-breakable" scholarships. All scholarships are now, I believe, 1-year renewable.

if you give a kid a schollie is that for 4 yrs or can the coaches reject it later?

My recollection is that the NCAA "killed" the use of 4-year and "non-breakable" scholarships. All scholarships are now, I believe, 1-year renewable.

I do believe that the only way a player can loose a scholarship is if he is kicked off of the team, quits, or asked to be released from that scholarship. If a player gets hurt and cannot play football anymore he still is on scholarship for the remainder of the 4 years.

I was looking at the Big Red Report on QB's out there and saw 3 with high interest with no offers from NU at this time. 2 were from Nebraska (Cassidy & Heinman) and one was from Oregon (Evans?)

Does anyone else think that the NU staff is thinking that maybe 1 of the 2 in-staters will walk on? Cassidy's dad is on the staff at NU and should be able to go to NU free anyway.

Each of the 3 are listed as 1* but so was Witt when NU offered him.

just wanted to know everyone elses thoughts

hello, hs qb's &/or jc qbs will come to NU if NU continues to land top juco wr's - like last yrs cc of sf's, mo purify (6'4", 210), or possibly this yr's coll of seq's, aj jackson (6'6", 220 - right now he is one of NU's top priorities):

http://jcgridiron.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=560040

p.s. could you imagine these 2 running routes together? what def backfield could stop them? what qb would not want to throw to them?

Not that I have a lot of confidence in the staff's ability to recruit a QB, but I'd like to see us go after Garcia, although we are not on his radar.

Stephen Garcia

Logan Gray

Matt Simms

Matt Lentz

And of course, there is this guy:

GJ Kinne

My guess is that we miss on all of them...

My prediction is looking pretty good...

But I am optimistic re: Witt.

Not that I have a lot of confidence in the staff's ability to recruit a QB, but I'd like to see us go after Garcia, although we are not on his radar.

Stephen Garcia

Logan Gray

Matt Simms

Matt Lentz

And of course, there is this guy:

GJ Kinne

My guess is that we miss on all of them...

My prediction is looking pretty good...

But I am optimistic re: Witt.

Might wanna stretch before you pat yourself on the back. :thumbs

Everyday I am more and more sure about Patrick Witt. After watching some video I am more and more convinced this kid is going to be a four star player. At this point I don't care if we get another QB unless it's a JUCO.

I think if you can find a hs qb out there you go for him. We don't need any more juco qb's this year though.

My feelings exactly. It wouldn't be that bad if we didn't bring in another one but if we were to bring one in, it should be a freshman. Maybe an under the radar guy in which we can groom for a couple of years.

I think if you can find a hs qb out there you go for him.  We don't need any more juco qb's this year though.

My feelings exactly. It wouldn't be that bad if we didn't bring in another one but if we were to bring one in, it should be a freshman. Maybe an under the radar guy in which we can groom for a couple of years.

I think it would be cool if that local NE kid(Papio maybe) walks on. I think they can afford to take a project now, but do they want to expend a scholarship for one...