Gilbert Arrested

30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’ve always been confused as to why mental health issues should play a part in the waiver decision. 

I think that is part of it though, that "we" people that don't have mental health issues don't "get it", right?

It makes no sense to me because I don't have those issues BUT that should not be the point.  

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I hope that Gilbert and perhaps NU sues the NCAA.

They begged for a waiver, citing mental health issues.  The NCAA did nothing, they let that waiver request sit on a desk for the last 3 months (I think), while a kid suffered, not knowing his future.

You either do treat mental health as a disease or you don't and we stop talking about it.  But since we treat it as a disease the NCAA needs to be held accountable for not helping this guy out.  Instead they let him twist in the wind only adding to his stress and anxiety. 

The NCAA didn’t force Gilbert to throw a brick through a window either. Having mental health doesn’t escape you from consequences. They are real & detrimental but is not to be used as some get of literal get out of jail free card. 

5 minutes ago, Decked said:

The NCAA didn’t force Gilbert to throw a brick through a window either. Having mental health doesn’t escape you from consequences. They are real & detrimental but is not to be used as some get of literal get out of jail free card. 

100% agree.

And at no point do I think or mention that he should be free of consequence.

Nor should the NCAA.  I can ALMOST guarantee that if he knew he was cleared to play that this does not happen.

So we have two wrongs here.  He should get his consequence for what he did, whatever that consequence is.

And the NCAA should have consequences and the person(s) that were in charge of his request should be held accountable and terminated.  

That is it.  Easy as usual.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Decked said:

Exactly. This kid has more resources, opportunities and support available to him than 95% of people his age and he decided not to take advantage of them. That’s on him, no one else. A lot of people have lives that are more difficult than this kids’, and they don’t have these resource, opportunities or support, and they find a way to push through. Tired of people’s excuses these days. Do you have a problem? Get help. If you don’t, that’s on you and literally no other person.

and do people make mistakes and deserve another chance? You bet. I just don’t think it should be at the University of Nebraska.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Kayvan said:

Exactly. This kid has more resources, opportunities and support available to him than 95% of people his age and he decided not to take advantage of them. That’s on him, no one else. A lot of people have lives that are more difficult than this kids’, and they don’t have these resource, opportunities or support, and they find a way to push through. Tired of people’s excuses these days. Do you have a problem? Get help. If you don’t, that’s on you and literally no other person.

and do people make mistakes and deserve another chance? You bet. I just don’t think it should be at the University of Nebraska.

Agreed!

Now, what if the "help he needed" as you said, was to know his status and eligibility status?

1 minute ago, M.A. said:

A prank would be someone loading the pop machine with a couple of beers and someone left holding a can of it attempting to explain the predicament!

That would actually be a good one!

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

100% agree.

And at no point do I think or mention that he should be free of consequence.

Nor should the NCAA.  I can ALMOST guarantee that if he knew he was cleared to play that this does not happen.

So we have two wrongs here.  He should get his consequence for what he did, whatever that consequence is.

And the NCAA should have consequences and the person(s) that were in charge of his request should be held accountable and terminated.  

That is it.  Easy as usual.

Seems rather extreme. The NCAA is an incompetent & stupid organization but this year for transfers they’ve been at least consistent (consistently bad!). The real issue is previous years anyone got a waiver and it set the precedent. I personally think Erik should not get a waiver. 3rd school in four years is ridiculous mental health or not. He can still transfer to a school with resources such as N but maybe a year off wouldn’t be so bad for him. He has nobody to blame here but Erik. We shouldn’t coddle those with such issues..rather, try and give them the support and resources to deal when life arises. But that’s just me! 

• Plus1 4
5 minutes ago, Kayvan said:

Fortunately or unfortunately I think he may just have to try and get on im the NFL as an UDFA. But with his baggage I wouldn’t touch him with a 10 foot pole. 

• TBH 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Agreed!

Now, what if the "help he needed" as you said, was to know his status and eligibility status?

That would actually be a good one!

I mean, I get how that feeds into his mental health issues, but life is bigger than football. A lot of things haven’t gone the way that I wanted to in life, but I didn’t throw my life away because I didn’t get my way. This kid has a free college opportunity at an amazing university, and all sorts of professional support to prepare himself for  something else. The fact that he’s so singularly focused on football is the mental health issue, not whether he can play or not. 

1 minute ago, Decked said:

Seems rather extreme. The NCAA is an incompetent & stupid organization but this year for transfers they’ve been at least consistent (consistently bad!). The real issue is previous years anyone got a waiver and it set the precedent. I personally think Erik should not get a waiver. 3rd school in four years is ridiculous mental health or not. He can still transfer to a school with resources such as N but maybe a year off wouldn’t be so bad for him. He has nobody to blame here but Erik. We shouldn’t coddle those with such issues..rather, try and give them the support and resources to deal when life arises. But that’s just me! 

Well that is the part we don't know.  HAD he known his status perhaps this doesn't happen.

Just now, Decked said:

Fortunately or unfortunately I think he may just have to try and get on im the NFL as an UDFA. But with his baggage I wouldn’t touch him with a 10 foot pole. 

Why would an NFL team take a risk on this kid, I agree. Raw talent, sure. But a lot of kids have raw talent and also have their head and priorities in order. To play in the NFL these days, you have to be a dude. Not just a physical specimen, but intelligent, controlled, and driven in the right ways.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Kayvan said:

I mean, I get how that feeds into his mental health issues, but life is bigger than football. A lot of things haven’t gone the way that I wanted to in life, but I didn’t throw my life away because I didn’t get my way. This kid has a free college opportunity at an amazing university, and all sorts of professional support to prepare himself for  something else. The fact that he’s so singularly focused on football is the mental health issue, not whether he can play or not. 

I agree because you and me don't have mental health issues.

Look, this is like telling a girl with body issues to just "eat the pizza and get over it", like we did in the 60's before recognizing that eating disorders were a mental thing.

I suppose I am trying to put myself in his shows and use compassion or empathy.  I also don't "get it" or understand it, but again I don't have those issues.  

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Well that is the part we don't know.  HAD he known his status perhaps this doesn't happen.

If this is how this kid responds to not getting his way, and letting things out of his control affect him, he’s in for a rude awakening in life. This was an opportunity to deal with adversity in a healthy way, and he fell flat.