Gilbert Arrested

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This…

People claim this should be no different than a normal student. 

A scholarship athlete is very different than the average undergrad. They are more like grad school students where the program has invested in them in many ways. It’s very difficult for a person in a doctorate program where they are involved with research and that funding to just transfer multiple times to different programs.  

A professional athlete can’t just move to wherever team they want…whenever they want. There are rules and guidelines within the sport. Those help improve the sport and experience for everyone.

Nobody can convince me that Gilbert is better off now than if he would have stayed at LSU or maybe even Georgia and worked to compete for playing time. 

Yeah and at one point they could never leave the team they were drafted by unless traded...

Also a pro player can literally finish a game, be the hero, and find out that he has been traded that night, have to pack his bags and move 2000 miles away and be ready to play the next day/weekend.  That sounds f#&%ing awesome!

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

You obviously didn’t read. 

I did, you compared it to the pros which I get BUT in the pros you can be traded (even if you don't want to be) and you can be cut and you can also demand a trade or demand to be cut.

As far as "competing for playing time", I get it, but why is this such an amazing idea?  We romanticize it to death.  This "work hard and stick with it and maybe as a 5th year senior you might play". Makes for a great story but you get 5 years (or 20 years thanks to covid), and then it is done.

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah and at one point they could never leave the team they were drafted by unless traded...

Also a pro player can literally finish a game, be the hero, and find out that he has been traded that night, have to pack his bags and move 2000 miles away and be ready to play the next day/weekend.  That sounds f#&%ing awesome!

We're talking about the college system here, not professional. 

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I did, you compared it to the pros which I get BUT in the pros you can be traded (even if you don't want to be) and you can be cut and you can also demand a trade or demand to be cut.

As far as "competing for playing time", I get it, but why is this such an amazing idea?  We romanticize it to death.  This "work hard and stick with it and maybe as a 5th year senior you might play". Makes for a great story but you get 5 years (or 20 years thanks to covid), and then it is done.

At this point you aren't trying to understand anything written so why would we continue the discussion.

Just now, 307husker said:

At this point you aren't trying to understand anything written so why would we continue the discussion.

I understand it.

But you are either FOR freedom of choice and opportunity or you are not.  I don't like they constant moving around of players but I totally support their chance to move around.  I would want that for me or my friends or family.

Wouldn't you?

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

That’s not the only comparison I made. 

9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Sucks to make millions doing something so many other people wish they could. 

These guys get traded, but many times they don’t change their address. A baseball player ( the ones in your scenario usually) may live in Florida even though they play for the Cubs because that’s where they spend their off season. If they get traded to the Royals, that doesn’t change. 

If you don’t like it, go well insurance. 

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I understand it.

But you are either FOR freedom of choice and opportunity or you are not.  I don't like they constant moving around of players but I totally support their chance to move around.  I would want that for me or my friends or family.

Wouldn't you?

No, I wouldn't.

I was an NCAA athlete, and I did transfer once.  (It wasn't for playing time as I was in an individual sport)

It has a major down side for the athlete and for the teams that are destabilized.  It has negative effects for the university, the fan base, team culture, and many other things.  I've lived it.  I had great success at my second university but I still wonder if it was worth all of the downsides.

I think there should be some freedom to move around, but also that there should be limits placed on that ability.  

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Well, I am not really that smart.

I just like the idea of freedom and opportunity.  None of us would want to be stuck in a position where we could not move/change our path in life. 

Are there restrictions or guidelines when you sign your teaching contract?  Or, can you change schools every few months without negative consequences?

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Sucks to make millions doing something so many other people wish they could. 

These guys get traded, but many times they don’t change their address. A baseball player ( the ones in your scenario usually) may live in Florida even though they play for the Cubs because that’s where they spend their off season. If they get traded to the Royals, that doesn’t change. 

If you don’t like it, go well insurance. 

Yeah but those guys did not just "wish it" to happen, they made it happen.

And f#&% insurance salesmen!  Ha

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Are there restrictions or guidelines when you sign your teaching contract?  Or, can you change schools every few months without negative consequences?

You can change BUT they can hold your teaching certificate if they wanted.  Meaning you could not teach for a year (I think) in that state or any surrounding state (I think), it has been awhile since I looked at it.

It happend to me, years ago.  I signed a contract to come back.  Then I got offered a better teaching job in a better spot.  My Principal said congrats and wished me luck.  The f#&% lame f#&% super dong master superintendent would not let me out of my contract and told me that I could go to the school board to ask to get out of it BUT that meeting would not be until the middle of August, after the school year started.  So basically, I had to go back.  

Normally and I have never seen/heard of my situation before or after, you just change with no issue.  Most teachers DON'T leave during the school year (some at semester) because most of the time there are just not a lot of openings during the school year.

most of the movement is from March to June.

As far as any other restrictions,, you just have to have your TC or be working towards it.

8 minutes ago, 307husker said:

No, I wouldn't.

I was an NCAA athlete, and I did transfer once.  (It wasn't for playing time as I was in an individual sport)

It has a major down side for the athlete and for the teams that are destabilized.  It has negative effects for the university, the fan base, team culture, and many other things.  I've lived it.  I had great success at my second university but I still wonder if it was worth all of the downsides.

I think there should be some freedom to move around, but also that there should be limits placed on that ability.  

That is not freedom but I get what you are saying.