Thunderin' Bolts @ Shriner's Children's College Showdown

3 huge games, hoping for 2 (3's a dream) won't be surprised with only 1

Baylor is kind of an unknown. According to the media in Waco they are two deep across the board. Mound is solid but untested with loads of lefty's. They struggled some in 2023 so expect them to play hard here.

Tech is a ranked opponent (#21).. loaded and lefty loaded on the mound. Two of the three starters are back including their Friday night starter. They'll bring the long ball.

OU is OU.. pitching, situational hitting and running.. Friday starter will be new. Lost their biggest bat also. 

Here's hoping for at least 2 wins!! GBR

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

I watched a ton of Baylor last year and they were pretty stinky. I know Mason Marriott was their Friday night guy last year and he really struggled. Obviously new year new me and all that jazz but I'd be fine seeing him on the bump on Friday if it comes to it.

Texas Tech should be a wagon, tons of talented bats. I'm guessing Nebraska will see either Zane Petty or Kyle Robinson.

OU still has Spikerman who has been in school for seemingly 10 years. Pitching wise, they were pretty hot and cold. 

• Thanks 1

Marriott won't be Baylor's friday guy as the season progresses but is likely who Nebraska will face.. Look for the redshirt freshman (forget his name) coming of surgery to challenge for that spot. Baylor is picked near the bottom in the conference so of the 3 games this weekend Baylor is one I expect us to win. The other 2... if we split I'm do the dance.

26 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Marriott won't be Baylor's friday guy as the season progresses but is likely who Nebraska will face.. Look for the redshirt freshman (forget his name) coming of surgery to challenge for that spot. Baylor is picked near the bottom in the conference so of the 3 games this weekend Baylor is one I expect us to win. The other 2... if we split I'm do the dance.

That's fair, I agree, getting the W over Baylor would be ideal. TTU will be tough and OU? Who knows. They're picked to finish in roughly the middle of the conference.

Last year, from the start, we couldn't close out or stop middle inning scoring. This team, to be as sound as we hope it to be, will need better middle relief pitching. Starters this weekend likely won't got past 75 pitches so the games should be won by the bullpens. If our middle relief has improved from last year we should have a good shot at winning 2 games. If our middle relief is as porous as it was last year we'll struggle all weekend. Gotta get outs from the mids!! 

• TBH 1

I like Sears getting the start on Friday. He's an experienced starter that wasn't used last year in that position. I understand Walsh getting to start too with his gas and slider. Caleb surprises me as I expected Christo to get a shot. Maybe Bolt/Childress want Christo as the mid week starter and long relief. Still, if Christo's control has improved and his change really is a useful pitch I wonder how good Walsh and Clark must be throwing right now. Clark to me is the biggest surprise, let's hope it's a good surprise. He's a lefty (like Walsh) so I like that and he flat has juice with movement. Can't walk batters though so Sunday is a good spot for now. Sears should top mid 90's and throws a slurve/change as an out pitch. Right Handed location pitcher. We need a go to Friday starter so honestly, I think it will be trial by fire. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

It's time for some BASEBALL BABY!!!

The game was tied in the bottom of nine
A runner on third and two out
In the dead still air a mosquito's whine
Was all you could hear, then came a shout

"Do something Ben, murder the ball,
For crying out loud get a hit."
Ben strode to the plate to answer the call
The now restless fans knew this would be it

He dug in his right foot then positioned his left
And tapped the plate twice with his long wooden bat
Then he pulled it back slowly as to measure its heft
And tensed his whole frame as he stood like a cat

The pitcher glared in, the Ump hunkered down
Then the ball on its way thru the air like a shot
Ben pulled the trigger, his body unwound
And the ball hit the bat with the sound of a "Thock"

This is the sum that the game's all about
This instant is not just a moment or dream
The split second physics, a hit and a roar or the swing and an out?
Each player, Each coach and every fan poised to let out a scream

by John W. Knight

• Plus1 1