Fred named (co) coach of the year

16 hours ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

Painter took the 436th ranked recruit in the nation and made him the National Player of the Year. Nebraska beat up cream-puffs while Purdue played a f***ing gauntlet in non-conference. The share is perfectly earned by both.

Edey going from 436th recruit to POY says more about Edey and his desire to improve than any coach.  I'm not saying that Painter had nothing to do with it, but the best coach in the world can't make a player better if the player doesn't give the effort.

Coaches schedule their NC games based on what is best for their team.  Painter knew he had a team that could handle a very tough schedule.  Hoiberg knew he needed to play an easy schedule because the team had to build chemistry. 

I'm sure the Huskers will have a tougher NC schedule next year because the chemistry is already there.  It probably won't be a top 10 schedule, but it won't be in the 300 range either.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
14 hours ago, ECisGod said:

Edey going from 436th recruit to POY says more about Edey and his desire to improve than any coach.  I'm not saying that Painter had nothing to do with it, but the best coach in the world can't make a player better if the player doesn't give the effort.

Coaches schedule their NC games based on what is best for their team.  Painter knew he had a team that could handle a very tough schedule.  Hoiberg knew he needed to play an easy schedule because the team had to build chemistry. 

I'm sure the Huskers will have a tougher NC schedule next year because the chemistry is already there.  It probably won't be a top 10 schedule, but it won't be in the 300 range either.

And, player improvement like that has more to do with assistant coaches than the head coach. 

• Plus1 2

I know when i refer to our 1997 football team, I always say co-national champs...

Get over it...no one will remember "co" or refer to it after a few years...it hurts no one and takes nothing away from the season Fred and his team has had...gbr

• Plus1 1