From a Nicholls Fan

TColonel

Hello from Colonel Country. There are many in South Louisiana looking forward to the game this weekend, as it will be the largest crowd by far that has ever watched a Colonel game and with all of the red and a very close looking “N” to that of yours, some of our guys might feel at home.

After watching NU destroy LA Tech this past weekend, I am not even hoping for any type of miracle upset although a little joke amongst Colonel fans is that the team with the N on their helmet that runs the option always wins in Lincoln.

I thought that many of you Cornhusker fans would like a bit of a preview of the Colonels.

On offence, the Colonels are breaking in a couple of new QBs in our triple option offense and their lack of game experience shows. We do have a number of talented backs as the fullback, Broderick Cole, is 2nd Team I-AA All-American. The two starting slots have some speed, especially McLendon, if they can get to the outside. The O-line is missing a couple of starters, but has a talented right tackle who at 6’5” 305 lbs is our biggest player.

The defense is undersized, but quick. The NU running game will be able to overpower the Colonels on a number of occasions. The starting middle linebacker, Vavala #47, is a fun player to watch and the DB’s do have some speed – I just hope they will be in the right places at the right times.

All in all, the Colonels would just like to make the game interesting, at least for a half. Last year, after having the opener at Utah St. canceled because of Hurricane Katrina (we have numerous players from New Orleans and surrounding areas that had their family home completely destroyed) the Colonels had to go up to Indiana on only two days of practice and should have won that game. With just under 4:00 minutes to play, the Colonels had a 31-28 lead with a 1st and 10 from the Indiana 11 only to fumble and have the Hoosiers score a TD with 37 seconds remaining. I know the Cornhuskers are light years ahead of Indiana, but the guys showed some heart, especially considering the Katrina situation, and I am anxious to see how they play against one of the most storied programs in college football history.

BTW, one tie between Nicholls and NU is that former NU QB Mickey Joseph coached the Colonel QBs when the option was brought in as the offense.

If you have some questions, let me know or come by the Nicholls board at http://forums.delphiforums.com/Nicholls/start

It'll be fun to see the option being run again at Memorial STadium :thumbs since the Nicholl's State offense is so different than the one employed by USC, it will not be a very good game, in terms of preparation for USC, for our defense.

I know the Cornhuskers are light years ahead of Indiana

I think that it could be argued that Indiana is DII, too :lol:

I hope that the Huskers aren't overlooking this game. As you pointed out....anything can happen. But, like you said, we aren't Indiana and we certainly are not COLORADO. :rollin

[Did he teach your QB how to complete passes to receiver's ankles?

Mickey was fun to watch run, but could now throw a lick!

Actually, we had a really good QB when he was here. The QB is now the all-time leading rusher in Nicholls history and could throw the ball quite well, when we did throw it - which was seldom.

All in all, Mickey was a great guy on and off the field. I really enjoyed him being in Thibodaux.

It may take a while before the Blackshirts figure out how to defend the option. It's not an offense we see that much anyone, except perhaps in the spread/option. But we will have eight or nine guys in the box and will probaby adjust to it somewhere in the second quarter. So most of the yardage we give up would be in the early part of the game. You have to be concern though that may will sneak a bomb against our DBs.

Welcome.

We appreciate your positive comments about Nebraska. I admire your upbeat attittude about your program. On any given day the saying goes.

I am sure your team and fans will be treated very well. I know most of these games are about the money, but it is still a hard decession to make. I hope your team comes away with a learning experience that benefits you later in the season.

Have a great time at Nebraska. I hope your team plays well and the coaching staff is happy with their players performance. Lots of teams can be out manned and out talented, as long as your team is not out hearted is all that is important in a game like this. Good Luck to you.

I am sure your team and fans will be treated very well. I know most of these games are about the money, but it is still a hard decession to make. I hope your team comes away with a learning experience that benefits you later in the season.

Please don't teach them too much, we still have to play them later in the season. :lol:

That option of theirs always gives us trouble because they are very fast swinging the ball to the outside. The Nebraska defense is a lot quicker than ours so you guys shouldn't get into that much trouble but they always come to play.

Hello from Colonel Country. There are many in South Louisiana looking forward to the game this weekend, as it will be the largest crowd by far that has ever watched a Colonel game and with all of the red and a very close looking “N” to that of yours, some of our guys might feel at home.

After watching NU destroy LA Tech this past weekend, I am not even hoping for any type of miracle upset although a little joke amongst Colonel fans is that the team with the N on their helmet that runs the option always wins in Lincoln.

I thought that many of you Cornhusker fans would like a bit of a preview of the Colonels.

On offence, the Colonels are breaking in a couple of new QBs in our triple option offense and their lack of game experience shows. We do have a number of talented backs as the fullback, Broderick Cole, is 2nd Team I-AA All-American. The two starting slots have some speed, especially McLendon, if they can get to the outside. The O-line is missing a couple of starters, but has a talented right tackle who at 6’5” 305 lbs is our biggest player.

The defense is undersized, but quick. The NU running game will be able to overpower the Colonels on a number of occasions. The starting middle linebacker, Vavala #47, is a fun player to watch and the DB’s do have some speed – I just hope they will be in the right places at the right times.

All in all, the Colonels would just like to make the game interesting, at least for a half. Last year, after having the opener at Utah St. canceled because of Hurricane Katrina (we have numerous players from New Orleans and surrounding areas that had their family home completely destroyed) the Colonels had to go up to Indiana on only two days of practice and should have won that game. With just under 4:00 minutes to play, the Colonels had a 31-28 lead with a 1st and 10 from the Indiana 11 only to fumble and have the Hoosiers score a TD with 37 seconds remaining. I know the Cornhuskers are light years ahead of Indiana, but the guys showed some heart, especially considering the Katrina situation, and I am anxious to see how they play against one of the most storied programs in college football history.

BTW, one tie between Nicholls and NU is that former NU QB Mickey Joseph coached the Colonel QBs when the option was brought in as the offense.

If you have some questions, let me know or come by the Nicholls board at http://forums.delphiforums.com/Nicholls/start

Very enjoyable to read.