USC Fan - Let me know your thoughts!

TrojanMark

Hello all,

Good to be here – I will be at the game on the 16th, and I expect to see a huge contingent of red. You guys travel really well.

As you have heard by now, we lost our starting safety Pinkard and our starting CB Thomas. So it looks like we’ll be going to the freshmen for the Nebraska game. Ugh.

It looks like we both have one game under our belt. USC played on the road at Arkansas and won, 50-14. Nebraska played at home against Louisiana Tech and won, 49-10. Probably can’t tell a lot by one game. Nebraska looked good, but it was against a bad team. USC looked good against a SEC team on the road, but their starting RB wasn’t 100%.

This week probably won’t tell us much, either, since USC has a bye and Nebraska has a home game against a D-IAA team, which is pretty much the same as a bye.

So the first big question is, what does everyone see as the unit advantages for each team? For instance, who has the edge on the DL? Who has the edge at WR? Let me know your thoughts.

One thing I want to say is what we all know already. The Trojan WR's are dangerous and will be tough to stop the whole game. If SC gets into a groove throwing over and across our secondary it will be a long day for Neb. My hope is that our D will come up with a couple crucial stops or turnovers while our offense will do so/so in keeping us within striking distance. If SC passes the ball well...then they will win by a large margin.

The Huskers are on the way back and have the potential to make a real good game of it. I was at the last meeting of SC and NU. I believe SC was #1 at the time and NU ended the season #1, if I remember correctly. SC should win this one, but the Huskers could pull a big surprise. I think they're definitely on the rise. If the Huskers play their best they could pull off an upset. I'd be happy if we at least scare the #$@$ out of you guys!! :restore

One thing I want to say is what we all know already. The Trojan WR's are dangerous and will be tough to stop the whole game. If SC gets into a groove throwing over and across our secondary it will be a long day for Neb. My hope is that our D will come up with a couple crucial stops or turnovers while our offense will do so/so in keeping us within striking distance. If SC passes the ball well...then they will win by a large margin.

:yeah but too add to that, I hope our O-line can create some huge holes for our running backs. NU is going to have to be multi-dimensional against USC to keep SC on their toes.

Welcome Trojan Mark,

There is not much that could excite Husker fans more than playing a top program like USC. We dominated the 90's and you are doing so now.

I normally am the last to think we have a solid shot at a top program, because I am one of the few that admits just how far we had fallen. Some still feel line them up we are Nebraska, who can beat us. I would image a feeling that most SC fans have today.

But you have to play the games. Anything can happen. Many years ago a fat old Irish guy drug his unranked Cornhuskers from Nebraska to play the mighty men of Troy. Not suppose to be much of game. Just a bump in the rode to their next NC. But grit, loyalty, dedication and the will to win moved them to a level few expected. We did not win and we did not lose, but kissing your sister was the thing that started the Husker Nation. That is college football. Every team on any given day has a chance. We have that chance and I welcome it.

We have some very good running backs. Very comparable to yours.

I think we have the better QB. His ability at another program woudl be garnerning him Hypsman status. A little under the radar at Nebraska. But the kid can play and has experience. And I doubt we have a tougher player on the field. He will get r done if at all possible.

Our Oline is average to good in the best case scenario. I have worries about them being able to protect Zac, but I did not see a tremendous amount of preasure on the razorback QB. Not like I would have expected anyway.

I think your Oline is better than ours, but I think our Dline is better than yours.

Linebackers area toss up. Secondaries seem to be equaling themselves out. You have three injured, we have three out.

We have the advantage most likely in the FG department, but so close.

Your kickoff guy is a true weapon and will neutralize one of our supposed best weapons.

I do not think you faced the speed that Nebraska has with Arkansas. I do not think our full defensive package was on display. I truly believe the dogs were called off after the first couple of plays and sacks. Not too much film so to speak. Offensively I think we saw a lot of what SC can do. I do not think much of Nebraska's offense was shown.

Your advantage is the confidence of your recent past. Your home field advantage and your depth. We do not have the depth if we get players injured. That is what concerns me the most about this game.

I think it will be very close. If by chance Nebraska can score early and SC has the starts that they had numerous time last year we will be solidly in this game. If it comes down to a horse race, you guys have the advantage. If we turn the ball over the game ends early. I do not look for our offense to turn the ball over like Arkansas. No hitting since spring is hard to overcome. Our kids have been banging hard all fall practice. They will know what contact is for sure.

This should be a great game. I truly believe it is a lot closer than most people out here in SoCal expect.

SC is going to pick apart our secondary with ease, just being realistic guys.

It's not a crime to be a little optimistic though... :thumbs

You're probably right...as much as it sucks to say that. Being a little optimistic though as I said...275 passing yards with 3 touchdowns may be a low for Booty against us. What I mean by that is we will be lucky if he doesn't go over those numbers...I would imagine he will have higher, sadly...

I tell you, the thing that sucked on Saturday night was watching USC and NOT seeing them missing 2 Heisman winners a bit more. Everyone talks about a new QB, but your Booty boy has been there a long time, and everybody knows how a good system (Texas Tech) can make a new QB look great. USC has that system under Carroll.

I think the Huskers will be competitive, but if they can't run the ball and force Zac to throw 40 or 50 times, USC's backups may get a bunch of time in the 4th quarter. The Huskers are bringing the talent back, but USC has it and will showcase it. NU can't replace a 5 star CB and a 4 star LB like SC can.

I'm a homer and can't ever pick the Huskers to lose, so I'm calling it 28-27 NU.

Hard to tell how this game is going to turn out - and some very good posts so far.

They are my Huskers (even though I live in San Antonio, I was born and raised in Omaha - MY Huskers!).

Our largest issues are in the secondary and pass rush. I am confident that coach knows this - and will, at least, get the pass rush - I have little doubt. That will help against some...freakishly talented WR's that USC has (what tree you are growing these from...we want one!).

However - Nebraska has played...vanilla - period - USC hasn't. How more vanilla can you get than a 4 tight end set (and it was devestating, by the way).

This...is a game for pride. My firm belief is that coach (who..I happen to think is terrific) has got the team - GOT them - not like...uhhh...Solich (sorry..he was always going to lose 1 or 2 games a year - period). Coach Bill has these players MOTIVATED and BELIEVING. A friend of mine in Omaha own Husker Heaven - and she goes to all the breakfasts and such - and she'll tell you - this team is PUMPED.

Now...PUMPED...well, alone against USC may not do it. USC is talented - VERY - and very well coached, no doubt. They'll have 2 weeks to concentrate on Nebraska - but, what has Nebraska shown them?

Ask - can USC stop a 4 tight end set? Can they stop 4 fresh running backs? (Remember - this was VERY vanilla in itself - and still devestating).

Hopefully, the time spent between now and USC is used in teaching our secondary how to jump routes. USC is going to get passes off (hopefully we will tackle well!) - but we need to be able to jump routes to get those great interceptions and knockdowns.

Plus - I am hoping that Nebraska realizes that Booty can't pass when he is on his %ss.

Fact is - to me- this is a barn burner. If they set the over less than 60 - bet the over.

Neither team was really challenged in their opener - and, well..I'm hoping that Nebraska won't be challenged by Nichols State (let's hope not). So, it's a wash - and a new year. Both teams are well coached - and talented. I do feel that people are overlooking Nebraska - after all - we moved down in one poll (what - ya want us to NOT kneel down at the end of the game - after all - we shut them out in the second half!). No respect. That's okay. Let's earn it on the field - and I can't wait until we play USC!

Bet...the OVER!!!!!

QUOTE (Eric the Red @ Sep 5 2006, 09:45 PM)

QUOTE (Nate @ Sep 5 2006, 08:26 PM)

SC is going to pick apart our secondary with ease, just being realistic guys.

I have similiar thoughts

Agreed.

Come on guys....this "being realistic" thing is crap. "Just being realistic" - WTF does that mean. Personally, I think you're reality is askewed. The Huskers will make a game out of it. Cally and co. will have a good game plan....they've prepared for this game since the day after the Alamo Bowl. If we apply some pressure...and I think we will...we can slow down their passing attack. I haven't given-up on our young secondary. And again, I think the players think that they can beat USC. That is key. Huskers have everything to win. USC has everything to lose.....just like Michigan at the ALamo Bowl. The Huskers will take it to the Trojans.

Man...this thread is depressing with all the doomsdayers.