Keller's influence this week

with all due respect to both cally and Keller, cally doesn't need Keller to counsel him regarding how to play against these guys.....their receivers present a huge problem (size and ability) for our dbs......

i am sure caroll and booty will counter a fierce pass rush/blitz with quick slants and short, quick patterns into our secondary.....as we gamble to put pressure on Booty, we will get burned.....just how much and to what degree reamins to be seen

hunter

You guys think Caly and Co have been grilling Keller leading up to this game and asking him about their defensive schemes and blitz packages? He has experience playing against USC. Have to wonder if he's going to play "Booty" in practice drills to get the defense ready.

He has experience throwing 5 ints against the SC defense last year

You guys think Caly and Co have been grilling Keller leading up to this game and asking him about their defensive schemes and blitz packages?  He has experience playing against USC.  Have to wonder if he's going to play "Booty" in practice drills to get the defense ready.

He has experience throwing 5 ints against the SC defense last year

Wow, we just got burned. :madash

In all honesty, I'm sure having Keller around won't hurt, but I doubt he can tell the coaches anything they don't already know. Personally I can't see USC putting in many new wrinkles to surprise Nebraska. That being said, Pete Carrol is an awefully good defensive strategist. While I agree with most of the posters here that NU could keep it close and possibly pull out the win, I think most of us are forgetting what Carrol and his defense did to OU a couple of years ago in the NC game. True that USC's team is much different now, but their defense will still be very sound with excellent athletes and a very good scheme.

You guys think Caly and Co have been grilling Keller leading up to this game and asking him about their defensive schemes and blitz packages? He has experience playing against USC. Have to wonder if he's going to play "Booty" in practice drills to get the defense ready.

Nope.

Im sure that Keller is probably leading the scout team as he is the scout team quarterback, but I seriously doubt that Callahan is peppering him with questions. You can tell a hell of alot more from film scheme wise than you can from playing. All Keller will be able to say is that they are big, fast, and I kept throwing to them for some reason... In a game where you throw five picks, I doubt that he had any serious beat on what they were doing.

If I were Cally, I would refer back to Osbornes defensive packages back in 94 and 95!! The years we played Miami and Florida respectively!! We never had great size in our secondary, it was always the schemes and blitz packages that worked the best!! USC has good WRs just as did Miami and Florida!! I believe was the zone coverage that worked best or the nickel!!

If I were Cally, I would refer back to Osbornes defensive packages back in 94 and 95!! The years we played Miami and Florida respectively!! We never had great size in our secondary, it was always the schemes and blitz packages that worked the best!! USC has good WRs just as did Miami and Florida!! I believe was the zone coverage that worked best or the nickel!!

Any one got Charlie's number???

I actually think that Keller will have a great influence in practice this week. Is he going to be sitting in Callahan's office explaining to him what USC will do. NO. But he will be sitting with Taylor in the film room explaining some stuff that happened to him last year. Remember he watched film on USC last year for probally a couple of weeks and probally watched their game numerous times during the offseason. Sam and Zac will probally be inseperable this week.

From HuskerExtra.com

SAGE ADVICE: Nebraska quarterback Zac Taylor said he’s gleaned “a couple of tidbits of information” from teammate Sam Keller about facing USC. Keller, the quarterback who transferred to Nebraska from Arizona State last month, played against the Trojans last season. Keller went 26-of-45 with 347 yards and also threw five interceptions in a loss to USC. “He knows what works and doesn’t work,” Taylor said. And Keller’s advice? Don’t force big plays. “They’re disciplined, like we’ve known, and he told us about that,” Taylor said. “He told us the passing lane can collapse a lot quicker than you’re used to. Those guys are so good, so fast. You think you see a lane, and the next thing you know, it’s gone.” Keller is serving as scout team quarterback in practice this week.