Way to waive the F'in White Flag, Coach

Washusker

And Herbstriet was right on with his analysis of that 3d and 21 completion to Jarrett. Why did we roll up the safties and not blitz?

I just don't get why we aren't seeing more blitzes. And if you don't blitz, give the corners some help!

On a side note - Carriker has been non-existent. He needs to have a big 2nd half.

We just got COMPLETELY outcoached in the 1st half.

Good Lord.

*blink*

Outcoached? In what way? The running game is not going as well as it could, but if we don't run it and USC's defense can pin their ears back and come after Taylor knowing every play's going to be a pass...well, I'm not sure Taylor can survive.

I suspect that we'll see some passing on first down in the second half. But I think that trying to establish the run in the first half is what will allow more passing to suceed in the second half, it it does.

We at least have to try to throw the ball downfield. We have had some decent field position, and haven't capitalized. 2 minute drill, where is that. USC gets the ball second half. If we don't stop them, the game is over. Pick it up. Try to win.

We do, and as I said, I suspect we'll see it in the second half. I also suspect that Callahan wanted to try and keep the first half close, establish as much of a run as he can, and hope that opens up the vertical game.

I think too that Zack really had no time to throw. When he did he was always on the run. I too think BC didn't want Zack KILLED this game. If he would of dropped back and passed more that could of very well happened! As far as some bitching about our tackling towards the end of the game...Our D was flat out TIRED! I think our front 7 did an EXCELLENT job tonight. I also think Wilson was pretty darn good too. I knew our DB's were going to get picked on all night. People are also complaining about helping out the DB's with the safeties. The second you start cheating over the Safties, you leave the middle wide open! Until we get bigger, more physical CB's thats the way it's gonna be!

I am fine with shortening the game I think in concept that is great especially with the overall difference in talent. My problem is that in trying to shorten the game the coaches made it worse on the defense. You ended up with so many three and outs because of the play calling that the defense was right back on the field.

As to Taylor having no time I pin that back on the play calling, and this is reminiscent of the "older days" when we would run twice not get a first down and the defense would pin their ears back and go after our quarterback. Here he ran so much on first and second and we weren't getting huge chunks of yardage that on third the defense would pin their ears back and come after Taylor. For gods sake once in awhile pass on first down after trying to establish the run and maybe Taylor would of had time. As it was it was run, run, try and pass when the defense is ready for it and coming full blast.

Or barring that take a page from USC and run wide receiver screens which would be a pass but so quick that the defenders can't get to Taylor or try some shorter passes to Herian, or quick hit slants. All of these would take little time and at least provide some variety.

I guess I am trying to say that I agree with shortening the game, but I think the coaches could have added some variety in the second quarter which would have kept the defense honest. As so many people say you need to be able to run to pass the ball, I think tonight showed that you at least need to have the threat of a pass if you are going to make the offense work. It was too one dimensional tonight, which I thought we were trying to get away from being, and we were not tonight.