Tom Shatel on USC game

I think this article will fuel anger from a lot of casual fans.

Anything angers those fans. I mean anything.

If the opposition doesn't have 0 points and 5 total yards and NU doesn't have at least 45 points, it's the worst game in 10 years. It get's old.

Excuses get old.

They were FAST on defense. It was amazing how we ran into a wall every time we tried running outside.

True, and NU is not. NU will never get to the promised land with this Big 10 like defensvie philosophie. We need faster, not bigger, LB's, DT's and DE's.

True, and NU is not. NU will never get to the promised land with this Big 10 like defensvie philosophie. We need faster, not bigger, LB's, DT's and DE's.

Big 10 defenses are so slow and suck. :bang

Oh wait OSU beat the crap out of the BEST team in the Big 12 and didn't Michigan just kick the crap out of the Genuis Charlie Weis :wacko: and Notre Dame. I would hate to have one of those two slow Big 10 defenses. :sarcasm

If the opposition doesn't have 0 points and 5 total yards and NU doesn't have at least 45 points, it's the worst game in 10 years. It get's old.

Excuses get old.

They were FAST on defense. It was amazing how we ran into a wall every time we tried running outside.

This is all too familiar.

Big 10 defenses are so slow and suck. :bang

Oh wait OSU beat the crap out of the BEST team in the Big 12 and didn't Michigan just kick the crap out of the Genuis Charlie Weis :wacko: and Notre Dame. I would hate to have one of those two slow Big 10 defenses. :sarcasm

TEH FRONT BUTT CAN NEVA LOSE!

:nanalama

Excuses get old.

This is all too familiar.

The quotes or the poster? I know he sure reminds me of someone else who used to come singing and dancing after a Husker loss. No need to mention his name, most of you regulars know who I am talking about! ;)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I wonder who you are talking about??????????????????

Does it rhyme with former ban??

DING DING DING. We have a winner! :clap

That's funny. I must be this Former Fan character because I........make a post or two similar to his/hers? Or because I am critical after a loss? Maybe Hunter94 or Nate is Former Fan?

If that's the case, then you, huskerinock, bigrediowan, DaveH, newearthhusker, and gamecocks must be the same person, because you all say the samething.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I wonder who you are talking about??????????????????

Does it rhyme with former ban??

DING DING DING. We have a winner! :clap

That's funny. I must be this Former Fan character because I........make a post or two similar to his/hers? Or because I am critical after a loss? Maybe Hunter94 or Nate is Former Fan?

If that's the case, then you, huskerinock, bigrediowan, DaveH, newearthhusker, and gamecocks must be the same person, because you all say the samething.

Damn you caught us! What ever shall we do? :moreinteresting

I blame this loss on Callahan, not on the Husker players. They played hard and did what they could. I've read several articles and it sounds like the USC players were surprised at the size and strength of Nebraska. It's just too bad the game plan didn't allow our players to do more. I would much rather lose by a big margin and feel like we actually played hard than lose by a small margin with that worthless up-the-middle play over and over again.

I am a Callahan fan and think eventually he'll get us going, but I'm very frustrated after Saturday.

This columnist is right on the money. The way to beat USC is to (a) run AND pass the ball. You must have balance. People put down USC for having a close game against Fresno St. last year. What a lot of people don’t realize is that Fresno St. offense was a great offense. It was very balanced – they had a strong running back, a senior QB who didn’t make many mistakes, and a 6’5” Jarrett-type wideout. Then, they mixed up the play-calling, alternating between running up the gut and taking shots downfield. That’s also what Notre Dame did against USC last year, as well as what Cal did when they beat USC a couple of years ago. The other way to beat USC is to (B) have Vince Young. He was a balanced offense BY HIMSELF.

Callahan thought he could just pound the rock against USC. But you can’t. USC has proved time and again that they can’t be run on, unless you’re also a legit threat to beat them downfield with the pass. Numerous teams have tried this: Iowa at the Orange Bowl in 2003, Oklahoma in the NC game in 2005, Auburn for 2 years, Michigan in the Rose Bowl in 2004. All of these teams pounded their chests and thought that USC is soft because they’re from the Pac-10, and that their big offensive lines are going to wear down the Trojans. But it’s never worked. The Trojans shut down every one of them. Even Texas didn’t run the ball all that well outside of Vince Young. You’ve got to have balance.

Coming into the Nebraska game, I feared that Nebraska had the balance to give USC problems. But Callahan never aired it out, to go along with his running game.

I thought the Nebraska defense played very well. I was especially impressed with that D-line. Our offensive line was worn out at the end of that game. That’s a rarity.

Congrats on a game well-played, Husker fans. Your team played very hard (not that that’s a surprise). I’ll be rooting for you the rest of the year, especially against Texas.