Game Plan

So many Husker fans are upset about the game plan. I'm not as cynical about BC's play calling as many on here, however, I did expect to see ZT air it out some. I wonder if we never got to see the whole plan due to the way the game unfolded, i.e., penalties, turnovers, USC'd defensive calls etc. Just a thought. Heck, USC was tough.

• Plus1 1

USC is tough.

I don't think the game plan changed throughout the game. Just like Swift said, every time it seemed we had something going, something bad would happen.

In order to win that game, NU needed three things. A winnable gameplan, no mistakes and a little luck. We had 1/3 IMO.

USC is tough.

I don't think the game plan changed throughout the game. Just like Swift said, every time it seemed we had something going, something bad would happen.

In order to win that game, NU needed three things. A winnable gameplan, no mistakes and a little luck. We had 1/3 IMO.

So you think the plan was what we saw, i.e., keep it on the ground 90% of the time, no intention for run/pass balance? I'm wondering if circumstances and the USC defense made the Huskers one dimensional or if that was intentional.

I agree that BC stuck to his plan, but I wonder if he ever got to execute it fully.

Edited by FriscoTXHusker
USC is tough.

So you think the plan was what we saw, i.e., keep it on the ground 90% of the time, no intention for run/pass balance? I'm wondering if circumstances and the USC defense made the Huskers one dimensional or if that was intentional.

Actually, I think the plan was to establish the run to setup the play action pass. With Callahan, I think the idea is to have some kind of balance in every game. The times we did try to throw we had limited success. 50%. That's gotta be upwards of 60 to 65 percent.

USC is tough.

Actually, I think the plan was to establish the run to setup the play action pass. With Callahan, I think the idea is to have some kind of balance in every game. The times we did try to throw we had limited success. 50%. That's gotta be upwards of 60 to 65 percent.

That seems like a good plan, no?? Problem is, what does one do if circumstances or a defense throws a wrench in the works.

The Game plan was garbage.. Thats the bottom line...

Willis

What would you like to have seen?

Keep in mind, in your offensive game planning, that USC will drop 8 people into coverage routinely.

I would have like to have seen more passing too, but I would have hated to see what the score was if Taylor throws a few INT's....

Willis

Keep in mind, in your offensive game planning, that USC will drop 8 people into coverage routinely.

I would have like to have seen more passing too, but I would have hated to see what the score was if Taylor throws a few INT's....

how many times did we throw on 1st down? out of a possible?

hunter

I don't think we would have had a ton of success in the air, but we had to establish some part of the game to open up the other right??? :dunno We went with the run and it didn't work as well as would have hoped, but we did have some mistakes that messed things up for us. We needed to play perfect, have USC turn the ball over, and some luck!!!! DaveH is right. ;)

Willis

how many times did we throw on 1st down? out of a possible?

hunter

Not many, but I'm not getting your point.

Was there a strategic/technical reason (besides BC being afraid to loose big) that we did not or or could not pass more? For example, was USC's defense doing something that kept our offense off balance for much of the game? ZT can't just throw the rock and call a prayer meeting. It doesn't work that way, or at least it never did for me.

When a very good defense drops 8 in the box it's going to be hard to get the passes off!!!! Right??? :dunno

...and if one can't loosen up that pass defense with the run your toast, right?

So, me thinks the problem Saturday night was not so much a flawed plan as an inability to execute the plan. (I AM NOT SAYING WE DIDN'T PLAY HARD OR W/O HEART) I think we didn't accomplish what we intended. Once one commits to a particular type of offense and a game plan it's not easy, and not usually a great idea to get away from that plan.

I recall more than a few Husker games under TO where opponents got our option attack off balance and we looked pretty poor.

My expectations before the game was to stay with in 24 pts. But as the Blackshirts play they really got my hopes up. I was very disappointed in our offense.

Im' not sure but it sure did seem like the coaching staff was "playing not to loose...instead of playing to win" as the announcers said. I'm not a betting man but I do look at the Vagas numbers just to see what the experts think about the game. This game was so uncharicteristic of Husker football.

I should clearify "expert", yes it is used loosely these days. But anyone that puts the amount of money on something like Vagas does then I would give them the title of experts. As you all might know the the spread was 17.5. Well you fill in the blanks.

I am not accussing anyone of anything but it sure does look suspicious!!! I really wanted them to at least score one more time. In my opinion it seemed like Callahan was not in any rush to score after that fumble by Lucky.

Red_38