Hope for what?

noenwolf

AZ4NU and Gamecocks, very well stated. I've been thinking those same things, but couldn't quite express it like that.

The much-criticized game plan almost worked. I remember while watching the game and the first half was winding down and the score was 7-3. I thought, "hmm, we are in this thing."

Like Gamecocks mentioned about it being 21-10 in the second half. I recall thinking this could be like the Michigan game last year. I know things didn't play out like it did in the bowl game, it was kind of working for about half the game or a little longer. We were hanging around.

USC got some incredible timely breaks, when even penalties assessed to them bailed them out. How lucky was that? That really pissed me off.

USC is an excellent team and outplayed the Huskers, but if a few things had gone a different way we could have been right there and everyone would be calling Callahan a genius.

That said, I still was a little perplexed by some of the play calling. It was an odd game all the way around, made even stranger by the unbelievable split-screen on my TV because Omaha was under a frigging tornado warning in mid-September.

It is extremely lame how many keep trying to claim this could have turned into the 70-10 Texas Tech aberration. First Taylor is a much, much better QB than Dailey. Second it was Beau Davis that threw the FOUR picks that gave Tech short fields to let the score get ugly. (Why he was allowed to stay in there and throw so many picks is another story). Enough of the woulda, coulda, shoulda scenarios. Let's move onto the Troy game.

I watched the game Sat. night. and it seemed like the coaching staff was more in awe of SC than the players were. Callahan didn't turn the guys loose to see what they could do. Instead it was vanilla play-calling on both sides of the ball. The real shame is Zac Taylor won't be around to get another shot at USC. We've recruited 5 star receivers and we threw one pass to a wideout and that was on a fake punt. Fans that think it would have been 70-10 had we passed more sure have no faith in the huskers defense. Speaking of the defense they hung in there, but Cosgrove is a fool for allowing the CB's to play man to man and this type of coaching will get these guys torched all season. Has he ever heard of zone defense? Just my two cents.

Callahan showed us he isn't the cure to our football ill's. We need a dynamic coach willing to put everything on the line. Instead we have coach who played not to get blown out. Don't get me wrong I think we could have a 9 win season this year and compete for the Big twelve crown but were resigning ourselves to be a second rate team the Big twelve north is becoming known for. We fired a 9 win coach that couldn't get us back to th national stage, what do we owe Bill?

This is why we ran the friggin ball.

From the LA Times:

"On a clear and breezy night before a crowd bathed in USC cardinal and pockets of Nebraska red, the Trojans were unable to uncork the trademark scoring sprees that typified USC teams of the previous three-plus seasons."

And if our players would have made the damn plays we were suppose to, we could have won.