Don't Count Out Glenn Yet

Published Thursday, September 21, 2006

Callahan works to keep I-backs happy

Wilson's role increased against USC, while Glenn didn't get a single carry for the Huskers

By Terry Douglass

terry.douglass@theindependent.com

LINCOLN -- Despite the many pitfalls associated with trying to keep four different players happy, Nebraska coach Bill Callahan continues to insist that the glut at the I-back position is a positive for the Cornhuskers.

"I think our I-back situation is a good one," Callahan said. "I think it's a good problem that a lot of people would love to have."

The biggest hurdle Callahan might be facing at the moment is keeping Cody Glenn's spirits up.

The sophomore I-back entered last Saturday's game at Southern California sharing the No. 1 spot on the depth chart with Marlon Lucky and was the team's second-leading rusher with 135 yards in the first two games. However, Glenn was on the field for just two plays against the Trojans and didn't get a single carry.

Following Tuesday's practice, Glenn told reporters that he was confused by his lack of carries. Callahan said Glenn fits Nebraska's offensive scheme "perfectly" and that it was "unfortunate" that Glenn didn't get more carries.

"It was a (53)-play game for us on offense, so we didn't have that luxury at that time," Callahan said. "But we've got great confidence and belief in Cody and we're very confident that he'll help us as we move on through the schedule. There's no question about that.

"We're trying to manage everybody and it gets tough sometimes, but Cody's a team guy. He's a class guy and he certainly understands what we're trying to accomplish."

While Glenn's playing time was reduced significantly, co-No. 2 I-back Kenny Wilson saw his workload increase. The junior logged 19 of Nebraska's 36 rushing attempts for 46 yards against the Trojans.

"I'm really surprised by how they rotated us," Wilson said. "You never know, so you've always got to be ready.

"I had just been working hard all week, trying to get some more playing time. I guess it has paid off."

Wilson, who is now Nebraska's second-leading rusher with 172 yards on a team-high 43 attempts, has apparently impressed coaches with recent play.

"I think he's acquired a good feel for what we're trying to feature him with," Callahan said. "I think you saw him on a few toss plays the other day (against USC), but you see his speed outside, you watch his ability to cut the ball back inside off the sweep - - he's a power runner.

"He's physical. He can make you miss. He has all those ingredients that you look for in a back."

Wilson, who had Nebraska's longest run of the game against USC (10 yards) also impressed quarterback Zac Taylor with his physical play.

"He's not going to get caught up in the backfield and get lost yardage," Taylor said. "There were some times when he should've been hit in the backfield and he made a guy miss.

"He does a great job of getting forward and just getting yards. We're really going to need him this season."

Lucky, who shares the No. 1 I-back spot with Glenn remains Nebraska's leading rusher with 209 yards. Co-No. 2 I-back Brandon Jackson appears to be the Huskers' choice for third-down plays and in passing situations as the junior is third on the team with seven receptions for 61 yards.

Question is: Who will be the featured running back when the No. 23-ranked Huskers (2-1) host Troy (1-2) this Saturday night?

"We'll see how they work in practice this week," Callahan said. "We'll see how practice goes."

As has been the theme since the start of fall camp, Callahan continues to insist that Nebraska can effectively utilize all four players.

"Everyone is contributing," Callahan said. "Everyone's productive and it's changing based on what we're featuring and the types of plays we're featuring.

"We'd like to play everybody and we're going to need everybody as we get moving on more into the conference play."

Good article. Hopefully we are in a situation on Saturday where all of the backs can get a few carries in the game.

Having 20 less plays on offense still doesn't explain why Glenn got no snaps and wilson got 19. It should of been 9 and 9 or atleast somewhere close to that. Especially with his "gameplan".

One thing I found interesting about the Georgia Tech vs. Troy game, is that outside of the GT quarterback, 4 different backs got carries for Georgia Tech and 3 of the 4 scored a touchdown in the game. Hmmmm, 4 backs got carries in the game. The opportunity will be there, let's see what the 'Husker coaches do this Saturday.

It is nice having these backs, but I tend to question to make sure all of the backs are getting equal carries. My reasoning behind this is that is one or two of the backs are just tearing it up and running all over the place, why put in someone else? If they need a blow or something that is fine. I just don't see the point in messing up the rythm of the game. Just my opinion.