Game Balls, 9/24: Troy

My game ball goes to Brett Byford............anyone notice how you haven't heard anything from him. Well, as an offensive lineman that's a good thing. ...No, that's a great thing. No one ever mentions an interior lineman unless they screw up in a major way or get a penalty. Props to Brett for filling in for Mann. :thumbs

Game Balls, 9/24: Troy

BY THE LINCOLN JOURNAL STAR

Sunday, Sep 24, 2006 - 12:38:23 am CDT

Nate Swift, NU wide receiver

Swift gently suggested he wouldn’t have minded a little more in the way of a passing game last week. The sophomore had plenty of action in the first quarter against Troy, catching three passes for 79 yards before dark.

— John Mabry

Marlon Lucky, NU running back

Advertisement

Guess there’ll be no talk this week about Kenny Wilson being set to carry a bigger chunk of the rock during crunch time. Lucky was averaging 10 yards after his first five rushes, all on the opening drive, then, on his next carry, showed the burst that supposedly only Wilson had en route to a 45-yard touchdown. He added a 51-yarder later.

— Curt McKeever

Dane Todd, NU fullback

Yeah, the guy’s smart. But he can block, too. Gone are the days of the fullback trap, but Todd still made himself known on some big plays against Troy. His blocks helped spring Marlon Lucky loose on both first-half touchdown runs.

— Brian Rosenthal

Adam Carriker, NU defensive end

Troy's tackles had a long night trying to control the 6-foot-5, 295-pound senior defensive end. Carriker made a tackle for a loss, hurried two passes, batted one down and drew two holding calls. Just what you'd expect from a potential first-round NFL Draft choice.

— Steven M. Sipple

Mine goes to USC. Ya weird I know but after last weeks loss the offense came out more focused and more ready than I've seen them in many years. The first complete game we've seen under Callahan in my opinion.

I agree. I think that was the best game the offense have played since he has been here. This O is going to continue to have a great year imo.

Mine goes to USC. Ya weird I know but after last weeks loss the offense came out more focused and more ready than I've seen them in many years. The first complete game we've seen under Callahan in my opinion.

I don't know about you, but if you can't call the CU game last year complete than I don't know what your definition is. We've been rolling (other than in Compton) since we played that game.

Mine goes to USC.  Ya weird I know but after last weeks loss the offense came out more focused and more ready than I've seen them in many years.  The first complete game we've seen under Callahan in my opinion.

I don't know about you, but if you can't call the CU game last year complete than I don't know what your definition is. We've been rolling (other than in Compton) since we played that game.

I think the sCUm game wasn't complete because we didn't have a running game. Now we do, which makes it a complete complete game. That sCUm game was great though, and we have been rolling.

Oh and I forgot to say this on my last post: :1000 (x2)!

Mine goes to USC.  Ya weird I know but after last weeks loss the offense came out more focused and more ready than I've seen them in many years.  The first complete game we've seen under Callahan in my opinion.

I think the sCUm game wasn't complete because we didn't have a running game. Now we do, which makes it a complete complete game. That sCUm game was great though, and we have been rolling.

Oh and I forgot to say this on my last post: :1000 (x2)!

The CU game was a good game but I wouldn't call it complete. 3 points in the 1st and 4th quarters, gave up 4 sacks, several hurries, 1 fumble (not lost), one interception. 7 penalties (yardage not bad though), 11/21 on third down conversions, 5 punts and one trip to the redzone without a score (also 3 field goals in the game). All in all nothing to sneeze at but to compare the team that beat the buffs last year and this one and call last years game complete? I don't think so. Maybe I'll sit down and watch a tape of the game one of these days and change my mind. As I recall the offense still wasn't completely clicking.