How do we stop ISU QB

NU defense gears for ISU's Meyer

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Oct 03, 2006 - 12:11:15 am CDT

Iowa State quarterback Bret Meyer (7) celebrates as he scores a touchdown in front of Toledo defenders Ketih Forestal (54), Sean Williamson (92) and Greg Hay, right, during the first half of a college football game, Thursday, Aug. 31, 2006, in Ames, Iowa. (AP)

Coming off its worst defensive performance in five years, Nebraska doesn’t exactly catch a break this week. Not with Bret Meyer directing Iowa State’s offense. Meyer, a 6-foot-3, 210-pound junior, has been “in the wars,†said Nebraska coach Bill Callahan, whose 22nd-ranked Huskers play the Cyclones at 7 p.m. Saturday in Ames, Iowa.

“He can get a hot hand at any time,†Callahan said Monday during the weekly Big 12 coaches’ teleconference.

Meyer, a preseason All-Big 12 pick, warmed up this past Saturday in Ames, completing 24 of 29 passes for 323 yards and two touchdowns in Iowa State’s 28-27 comeback victory against NCAA Division I-AA Northern Iowa.

A native of Atlantic, Iowa, Meyer this season has led Iowa State to a record of 3-2 overall and 0-1 in the Big 12. He has completed 94 of 149 attempts (63.1 percent) for 1,186 yards and seven touchdowns, with four interceptions.

Nebraska (4-1, 1-0 Big 12) defeated Kansas last weekend in Lincoln despite allowing the Jayhawks to accumulate 574 total yards, the most the Huskers have allowed since Colorado gained 582 in a 62-36 triumph in November of 2001.

Along with improvement on defense, the Huskers on Saturday will try to build momentum for an October stretch in which they’ll play three road games plus a home game against Big 12 favorite Texas.

“This is a game we’re very focused on,†Callahan said of the Iowa State contest.

Slowing Meyer may require significant focus. In last year’s 27-20 double-overtime loss in Lincoln, Meyer was 23-for-41 for 317 yards, with one interception. He was sacked six times and pressure in the pocket continues to be an issue this season, as Iowa State ranks 93rd nationally, allowing nearly three sacks per game.

Texas sacked Meyer seven times and intercepted him twice Sept. 23 in a 37-14 Longhorn win in Austin.

Nevertheless, “They have a good system,†Callahan said of the Cyclones. “They can balance it up when they need to, and they know how to attack.â€

Meyer, in his third season as starter, has come to feel comfortable in the offense. As he’s grown in the system, he has become less apt to run the ball, though he retains that ability. This season he’s carried 62 times for 152 yards (2.5 per attempt).

In fact, “We’ve put a few more quarterback runs in this year,†Meyer said. “Whatever it takes, that’s the way it needs to be.â€

Nebraska will try to corral Meyer after failing to record a sack against Kansas despite Adam Barmann’s 54 pass attempts.

KU coach Mark Mangino said Monday his veteran offensive line protected Barmann “extremely well,†save for a couple breakdowns on audibles in which the protection plan wasn’t altered at the line of scrimmage. He said his starting offensive linemen essentially played the entire game.

All told, the Jayhawks ran 94 plays, most ever against the Huskers, topping the 92 Oklahoma ran in 1948. An offense typically runs about 70-75 plays, Callahan said.

Kansas racked up 263 yards in the second quarter alone.

Asked Monday if there was anything specific that troubled him about Nebraska’s defense against KU, Callahan said, “I’d like to get better fundamentally. I’d like to see our techniques improve. I’d like to see every facet of our team defense get better.

“It’s team defense. It’s everybody. It’s not just one area, one guy, one position. Everybody has to get better.â€

Same goes for the offense, he said, especially considering Nebraska’s stretch of games this month. Following this week’s trip, the Huskers play road games at Kansas State and Oklahoma State sandwiched around a home game against No. 7 Texas.

“I mentioned to the team again (Sunday) in the squad room that these next few games are crucial,†Callahan said. “In the Big 12, if you’re going to be in contention, you have to win key road games. You have to compete like crazy.â€

In injury news, Nebraska backup weakside linebacker Steve Octavien, who has missed the last two games with a hamstring injury, is set to return this week, Callahan said. No. 2 strongside linebacker Clayton Sievers, who also missed the last two contests with a hamstring injury, also may return this week, though Callahan said he would have a better idea today about Sievers’ status.

Briefly

Iowa State coach Dan McCarney can empathize with Nebraska’s issues on defense, considering the Cyclones rank 108th nationally in pass defense (the Huskers are 65th). ISU returned only three starters from last year. “Our fundamentals at times have not been near what they need to be,†he said. “That bothers me a lot. We’ve built this program with fundamentals, and being physical and being blue-collar and bringing your lunch pail and fighting and scratching. We’re seeing that some of the time, but not all of the time.â€

I believe the Huskers d-line need to stay in their rush lanes on all downs. They cannot get up field too far on their pash rush because Meyer will run out of the pocket. I would think that a five man rush would be enough to get to Meyer and put pressure on him as their line has been worse than ours this year.

I say we bring the house every play! :sarcasm

I don't like holding back our d-line (i.e. tell them not to get too far up field, etc) because I think that will result in a lack of pressure. However, I do completely understand the logic, and they do need to keep in their lanes to the extent possible.

We have to minimize his pocket time - it will lead to big plays in the passing game - while also minimize his rushing yardage. The only way I can really see to do this is hopefully get pressure with the front four and having the LBs playing a lot of zone so they can minimize is rushing production (i.e. being prepared to come up and make great open field tackles).

Running QB's that can actually pass give D-coordinators nightmares.

First, we run the whole defensive package. Zone blitzes, corner blitzes, jailhouse breaks, the whole shebang.

Second, our front four MUST be disciplined. Our tackles can't come too far upfield and give up the middle for a scramble. Moore and Carriker have to push everything back inside. They can't allow Meyer to get outside them.

Third, we need to see more of Barry Turner. He's got the speed to go after Meyer.

Fourth, we might want to consider playing zone more often than not, just to keep Meyer in front of us. If we are in man, and he decides to run, it could be trouble.

All this being said, the article makes the point that Meyer isn't running a whole lot this year. Will that change come Saturday? Who knows. Nevertheless, I get the feeling we have to outscore them.

I think our defense will be more focused and will play a lot better than they did last week.........we all know the problems we have at secondary so no comment there. I feel they HAVE to have a spy on Meyer. If we don't this guy will run on us...........he may not have run that much this year, but we are a big opponent to them and they will be pumped up. We have to come out strong and fast and keep pounding at them for 4 QUARTERS!!!!

First, we run the whole defensive package. Zone blitzes, corner blitzes, jailhouse breaks, the whole shebang.

Second, our front four MUST be disciplined. Our tackles can't come too far upfield and give up the middle for a scramble. Moore and Carriker have to push everything back inside. They can't allow Meyer to get outside them.

Third, we need to see more of Barry Turner. He's got the speed to go after Meyer.

Fourth, we might want to consider playing zone more often than not, just to keep Meyer in front of us. If we are in man, and he decides to run, it could be trouble.

All this being said, the article makes the point that Meyer isn't running a whole lot this year. Will that change come Saturday? Who knows. Nevertheless, I get the feeling we have to outscore them.

Thank You!! I said this in the other post. Turner has the speed to get to the qb as well as contain the Rb and qb if need be.

I prefer not to think about it. Last year we were 5-1 or something, went on the road and Brad Smith went to town on us for 480 yards, 246 rushing. Smith and Meyer are not entirely different. It's a road game, we have a good defense.... <sigh> Listen I think the only way - is if some consistent pressure gets to Meyer early and he struggles to make adjustments and turns it over himself. Then we'll win and make out with their chicks as the band plays on :band