Question for the knowlegable

I'm not an expert on the rules and was wondering if we were slighted two points in the Texas game.

On the two point conversion attempt the Texas defender intercepted the pass from Taylor, now in college football I believe the play is still live and the defender COULD have taken the interception all the way back and given the horns two points, however he began celebrating and dropped the ball instead and one of our recievers, I think it was Swift, picked up the ball in the endzone and handed it to the official. I'm just wondering if that should have been ruled a fumble and a recovery by the huskers for two?

In no way do I mean this to mean we were cheated or that we should have won due to this play but its something that has been bugging me since I noticed it.

I'm not an expert on the rules and was wondering if we were slighted two points in the Texas game.

On the two point conversion attempt the Texas defender intercepted the pass from Taylor, now in college football I believe the play is still live and the defender COULD have taken the interception all the way back and given the horns two points, however he began celebrating and dropped the ball instead and one of our recievers, I think it was Swift, picked up the ball in the endzone and handed it to the official. I'm just wondering if that should have been ruled a fumble and a recovery by the huskers for two?

In no way do I mean this to mean we were cheated or that we should have won due to this play but its something that has been bugging me since I noticed it.

Interesting question. I found this in the NCAA 2006 Rule Book - I think the text in red explains it:

SECTION 6. Touchback

When Declared--ARTICLE 1

Approved Ruling 8-6-1

I. Team A’s fumble strikes the pylon at the intersection of Team B’s

goal line and sideline. RULING: Team B’s ball at the 20-yard line

(Rule 7-2-4-b.).

II. B1 intercepts Team A’s legal forward pass in his own end zone, after

which A1 snatches the ball from his hand while in Team B’s end

zone. RULING: Touchdown. The ball is not automatically dead

when intercepted. However, if in the judgment of the official there is

perceptible time during which the Team B player made no attempt to

advance after the interception, declaring a touchback is justified.