What can we do to avoid being flat in the second half.

gamecocks

I don't think it's so much losing momentum at the half as much as it is losing momentum after a big play. It seems after the opponent makes a big play (big run, huge stop, INT, fumble recovery, etc) we seem to go into prevention mode and become reactionary and it throws us off. Callahan said something to affect one time "we'll take what we want" but as soon as we're in a pickle it's like we're taking whatever we can get".

I know Callahan scripts the first 15 plays of the game but I'm not sure if he has another script for the 2nd half. Maybe scripted plays for the 2nd half based on what did and didn't work in the 1st half might help.

i think that the level of flatness depends on what each team does on its first possession.

defensively it seems that when NU gets ahead, then they start missing tackles more and more and the big plays are killing us. are they getting over confident? loosing focus because of the lead? getting tired because of the lack of depth?

i dont know, and if i did know i sure wouldnt be in Iraq, i would be able to solve all of the worlds problems and get PAID

I'd like them to try the 2 minute drill at the start of the 3rd Qtr or maybe a hurry-up offense. Throw the defense off balance; set the pace for the rest of the game; get the players back into the game mentally; and hopefully take the momentum away from the opponent for good.

I like that idea. Keep the D off balance, and just work your way down field, never letting the D sub in and out.

Whatever it is we do, it must be different. Problem is, I really haven't seen a difference in things being tried. Need to make the change a bit more radical. I like the idea of a hurry up offense. Can't hurt. Crimeny, we've only scored what 7 points in conference play in all the 3rd quarters this year...

I'd like them to try the 2 minute drill at the start of the 3rd Qtr or maybe a hurry-up offense. Throw the defense off balance; set the pace for the rest of the game; get the players back into the game mentally; and hopefully take the momentum away from the opponent for good.

I like that idea. Keep the D off balance, and just work your way down field, never letting the D sub in and out.

:yeah ZT has shown he's comfortable and proficient running the 2 minute drill so that would be a good way to spark the O coming out of halftime.

The idea of a no-huddle offense could throw off the defense on the opening drive in the second half. Success on the opening drive can really set the stage for the rest of the game.

The problem I see is Callahan's NFL mentality of sticking with the original gameplan throughout the whole game and not making any adjustments. Maybe that works in the pros or if you have a separation in talent over the opponent. But we really don't have that much separation right now to warrent that kind of mentality. I hope he learns that adjustments or counter-adjustments or neccessary in the college game.

An example of a team that rarely needed adjustments was our '95 team. The opponents knew exactly what we were going to do, but physically there wasn't a darn thing they could do to stop us. We don't have that luxury right now, and we may never have it to the extent we had in '95.