What can we do to avoid being flat in the second half.

gamecocks

Since Nebraska seems to always come out flat to start the second half. What are some things that the team/coaches could do to try to fix this problem?

I think one thing they could do is come out of the locker room a little sooner and run some plays like they do in the pregame to get back into the flow of the game. This will allow the lines to pop some pads and the other players to get back into the flow of the actual game.

Another thing that might help is for Callahan and the offense to have the first ten plays scripted. That way they are familiar with the plays that are being run and they don't have to think so hard, just go out and execute.

Are there any other ideas that would help the Huskers and their second half woes?

I kind of like the scripting idea, although I believe there is something like that already. They know what they are going to come out and try to do.

To me, it seems like a lack of focus after you get up by a few scores. Dropped balls, missed tackles, etc. Pair that with the other team getting some good plays you get what we have in the last few games. So how do you increase focus coming out of the locker room? I'm really not sure. Maybe you change your 2nd half routine up a bit in an effort to refocus the players, like you had mentioned. Try to run a few drills over half time instead of spending more time in the locker room.

I know the staff has looked at this problem for weeks, at least that's what they have said in press conferences. Not sure what they have tried thus far , but it hasn't really worked.

Since Nebraska seems to always come out flat to start the second half. What are some things that the team/coaches could do to try to fix this problem?

I think one thing they could do is come out of the locker room a little sooner and run some plays like they do in the pregame to get back into the flow of the game. This will allow the lines to pop some pads and the other players to get back into the flow of the actual game.

Another thing that might help is for Callahan and the offense to have the first ten plays scripted. That way they are familiar with the plays that are being run and they don't have to think so hard, just go out and execute.

Are there any other ideas that would help the Huskers and their second half woes?

Most of that sounds really good. Didn't TO script the first series of the 2nd half? I'd like to see less passing on 2nd and long. Throw on 1st and/or 3rd. The intensity seems to drop off in teh 2nd half. The staff has to instill that its ESSENTIAL to 3 and out the opponent, and get at least 2-3 first downs on offense.

The coordinators or somebody ought to be able to look at what is going on, and even anticipate how the other team might change in the second half to better defend us.

Does it seem like BC is getting too complacent in playcalling out of the half, or getting too tricky/complicated?

For an offense as good as ours, with so many weapons, there's no reason the Offense should struggle coming out of the half. Easier said than done, yes, but something does seem out of place here.

Most of that sounds really good. Didn't TO script the first series of the 2nd half? I'd like to see less passing on 2nd and long. Throw on 1st and/or 3rd. The intensity seems to drop off in teh 2nd half. The staff has to instill that its ESSENTIAL to 3 and out the opponent, and get at least 2-3 first downs on offense.

Yeah, actually the scripting sounds really good. Just like in the 1st qtr, run some probes and diagnostics.

Hmm....... maybe that's what BC is already doing, though.... (and they all come back negative!)

Hopefully we'll be able to work things out.

I have faith in BC.

We should see results against CU

But hopefully a real lesson will have been learned by time the CHAMPIONSHIP GAME is here.

Also try some long pass plays, and THROW ON 1st DOWN!

NU threw, or tried to throw, 9 times on first down in the 2nd half.

• Drive 1: 3rd Quarter
    • 1st 1st Down: Pass (Complete - Lucky - 4 yards)
    • 2nd 1st Down: Rush (Jackson - 3 yards)

[*]Drive 2: 3rd Quarter

• 1st 1st Down: Pass (Complete - Lucky - 3 yards)

[*]Drive 3: 4th Quarter

• 1st 1st Down: Rush (Glenn - 2 yards)

[*]Drive 4: 4th Quarter

• 1st 1st Down: Rush (Lucky - 3 yards)
    • 2nd 1st Down: Rush (Lucky - 3 yards)

[*]Drive 5: 4th Quarter

• 1st 1st Down: Rush (Lucky - 7 yards)
    • 2nd 1st Down: Pass (sack)
    • 3rd 1st Down: Pass (sack)

[*]Drive 6: 4th Quarter

• 1st 1st Down: Pass (Incomplete)
    • 2nd 1st Down: Pass (Incomplete)
    • 3rd 1st Down: Pass (Incomplete)
    • 4th 1st Down: Pass (Incomplete)
    • 5th 1st Down: Pass (Touchdown)

I don't know what the coaching staff can do to get these guys more focused for the second half..........who knows if it's some coaching decisions, players being overconfident, etc. that is causing the problems. I would love to see our guys come out and play 4 quarters of ball like they do for the first 2 quarters because you know we would be beating the hell out of some teams!!!!

I can think of several drives in the second halves of games where we were just inches short of a 1st down and had to punt. I am not saying we should go for it, but just a little extra here and there and those drives may not stall. Getting momentum and flipping the field positiion are two huge things we must focus on the rest of the year to finish off games.....Oh yeah and wrapping up and finishing off tackles.

:power:power:power