What would it look like?

papersun87

I realize as a do this that it could very well belong in the Big 12 forum and not here . . . move at will.

What would the Big 12 look like if it was restructured to an East/West form? Which teams would be in what? I don't really know where Stillwater is compared to Norman and Austin compared to College Station or Waco or any of them.

I think a restructure has to be done. The south teams get all of those Texas boys. Don't know how they'd do it though as all the the states pretty much stack one on top of the other. But does it really matter? After all....Louisiana Tech is in the WAC right?

Maybe they can do it kinda picking teams in a pickup basketball game. Texas is the South captain, Nebraska the North and they take turns picking teams to be in their league.

I don't think it will happen. What I could see happening is just a rescheduling of games of sorts. For example we could continue to play 3 teams from the south every season but pick one of them to play every season. So we would play every team from the north every season, one team from the south every season (Oklahoma for us) and then for our other two games just work out some rotation.

East/West wouldn't make much sense since as was mentioned earlier everything stacks up North to South, the northern most school being Iowa State and the southern most being Texas and everyone else inbetween. The only restructure would be doing what Stoops said and eliminate the divisions and do like the Big 10 does and have your rivalry games every year and then rotate everyone else. So that would preserve Texas/Texas A&M, reinstate Nebraska/Oklahoma every year, keep Nebraska/Colorado as a yearly game, keep Texas Tech/Texas and Texas Tech/A&M and Baylor and Tech, A&M and Texas and maybe Missouri and K State and Nebraska, Kansas and K-State and so on and then rotate everyone else around. Then have the top two teams overall play in the championship game if there is to be one to make more dollars which is where things would differ from the Big 10. I doubt any of that will happen but that's the only realignment I would see that would keep rivalries intact, keep high profile games on TV and keep the cash flowing in.

this is what it would look like if it was East/West........

WEST

Colorado

Texas Tech

Texas

Oklahoma

Baylor

Oklahoma St.

EAST

Nebraska

Kansas St.

Texas A&M

Kansas

Iowa St.

Missouri

your only switching Colorado and A&M, i dont know if it makes that big of a difference, especially since your losing the A&M vs. Texas, and the Colorado vs. Nebraska rivalries

Man...East is still weak like the North. I'm telling you...just pick'em. It might be the only time in history where the weak/uncoordinated 'kid' is picked first to get a couple guaranteed conference victories.

First pick Nebraska: Yeah...we'll take Baylor.

Baylor: Yesssss! Crap, we have to play them every year then?

2nd Texas: Dammit. I guess we'll take Iowa State.

ISU: Sweet! Wait....not sweet.

And so on...

There really isn't a good way to split them up. I just don't see it happening. With all of the Texas kids staying in Texas to play is not going to be broken up by dividing the conference differently. They are still going to choose those schools no matter which division of the conference they are in. They never should have expanded the Big 8...that is my opinion!