Rebulding or Rebuilt?

I have been thinking about how much this team has improved since 2004 and how some believe we still arent all the way to where we wanna be but are heading in the right direction. Take a look back at this season and were extremly close to be a 1 loss team....I realize that theres going to be alotta almosts and ifs but just think about this...

Loss 1- USC Game- We competed for the entire game and were in the entire night granted the score dosent show we played respectably and were a few good breaks away from maybe pulling off an upset...Think back to SC's first scoring drive JDB was sacked and stripped of the ball but luckly had his RB in the right place at the right time picks it up scrambles for a 1st down and they eventually score....Mounting a drive late in the 2nd half Lucky breaks off a big run that gets called back and eventually killed the drive. SC's first drive of the 2nd half-JDB throws a terrible pass that SHOULD have been intercepted and taking to the house for 6. In the end we loss but we played alright against a great team in a hostile enviroment.

Loss 2- Texas Game- Great performance by the team in nearly every aspect of the game. We are about 3inches away (estimated measurment of Nunns' knee to the ground before he fumbled) to pulling of the big upset. We battled back against a great D in Texas and had our shot to win the game. Another mood point for us was how mother nature decided to go ahead and mellow out for Texas' game winning drive after it been snowing and windy all 2nd half....Bit*h...We also had a shot at winning the game at the end when Taylors heave to the Zone was batted down.

Loss 3- OSU Game- Dominated the game in the first qtr and a half ran all over the Pokes had an early 16-0 lead and then we faulted by putting it in cruise control and we ended up getting dominated out coached out played and the consquence was an ugly loss and deservedly so....Contrubite this loss to failure to finish and make proper adjustments.

We however are still 8-3 bowl bound and Big 12 Champ game bound and have our rivarly game against the Puffs day after Turkey Day this has been a very good season so far and we still have 3 more very winnable games...I think the program has righted the ship and the program will contunie to get better and before to long be a National power again!! 70' 71' 94' 95' 97'....07'???

GO BIG RED!!!!

:restore < no more

ORDER RESTORED!!!!!!!!!

I have been thinking about how much this team has improved since 2004 and how some believe we still arent all the way to where we wanna be but are heading in the right direction. Take a look back at this season and were extremly close to be a 1 loss team....I realize that theres going to be alotta almosts and ifs but just think about this...

Loss 1- USC Game- We competed for the entire game and were in the entire night granted the score dosent show we played respectably and were a few good breaks away from maybe pulling off an upset...Think back to SC's first scoring drive JDB was sacked and stripped of the ball but luckly had his RB in the right place at the right time picks it up scrambles for a 1st down and they eventually score....Mounting a drive late in the 2nd half Lucky breaks off a big run that gets called back and eventually killed the drive. SC's first drive of the 2nd half-JDB throws a terrible pass that SHOULD have been intercepted and taking to the house for 6. In the end we loss but we played alright against a great team in a hostile enviroment.

Loss 2- Texas Game- Great performance by the team in nearly every aspect of the game. We are about 3inches away (estimated measurment of Nunns' knee to the ground before he fumbled) to pulling of the big upset. We battled back against a great D in Texas and had our shot to win the game. Another mood point for us was how mother nature decided to go ahead and mellow out for Texas' game winning drive after it been snowing and windy all 2nd half....Bit*h...We also had a shot at winning the game at the end when Taylors heave to the Zone was batted down.

Loss 3- OSU Game- Dominated the game in the first qtr and a half ran all over the Pokes had an early 16-0 lead and then we faulted by putting it in cruise control and we ended up getting dominated out coached out played and the consquence was an ugly loss and deservedly so....Contrubite this loss to failure to finish and make proper adjustments.

We however are still 8-3 bowl bound and Big 12 Champ game bound and have our rivarly game against the Puffs day after Turkey Day this has been a very good season so far and we still have 3 more very winnable games...I think the program has righted the ship and the program will contunie to get better and before to long be a National power again!! 70' 71' 94' 95' 97'....07'???

GO BIG RED!!!!

:restore < no more

ORDER RESTORED!!!!!!!!!

Some will say we are as dominating as one can get in this day and age of college football. Rutgers and Wake Forest don't make it into the top 25 doing nothing.

But others want 2005 Texas or OhioSt type wins to be considered dominant.

Great stuff, thanks for writing that

I think clearly we are rebuilding. It's the "cruise control" aspect that is the next building block. It has to be fixed or the Huskers are in for lots of nail biters with luck playing a huge role in W and L stats.

Going into crusie control, for whatever reason... coaches getting cautious, not making adjustments, players getting complacent, players getting gassed....is what stand between NU and being a dominant football team.

:bonez

This is an acceptable level for me. 9-3 (hopefully after Colorado). Wasn't one of the major streaks that came to an end that was well documented by Nebraskans, and nationally by ESPN and the others was our streak of NINE WIN SEASONS? It wasn't a streak of 10 or 11 win seasons that was noted....but 9.

I like the parody of college football. I like having to COMPETE. I like an earned win and not a cakewalk.

Keep in mind while you mention the "What If's" of a 1-loss season....you should equally balance the "What If's" of more lossses than that.

-OT vs Kansas

-Missouri doesn't turn the ball over on a strong drive to begin the 2nd half that lead to an NU score (I mention this as a comparison of your USC argument where the score wasn't close, but Missouri started racking up yards and had some dumb mistakes)

-A blocked FG, late hit and jump ball to win against A&M

We're also a few "What If's" from 6-6. Just the facts.

We are dominating when it comes to the first half of every game...(with the exception of maybe USC) but the second half is a different story. It is like we have the fumblitis curse all over again. Some of you may remember in 98 when we put the football down on the carpet one out of 20 carries it seemed like. Now we have the curse of the second half. If and win we fix that, I can honestly say we will be dominating for sure! Callahan and Co has a few holes (players) they need to plug in....Once that happens, LOOK OUT!

As much as I would like to agree with you, I don't. We are not rebuilt by any stretch of the imagination. We have a well below average line for Nebraska by any standards. That is what made Nebraska the dominat team it was.

USC, if they had been playing on all cyclinders, would have in fact and did dominate the game statiscally.

Texas, was at home in terrible weather and some of our scores were broken plays on their side. But that is football. Texas is/was the more talented team on that day. If Colt is ready to play by the Championship game I think we will see a result most are not looking for.

Oklahoma State was a loss, bigger faster and better athletes came to the surface as the game wore on. I just don't buy the cruise control arguement.

Are we a better team, hands down. Most likely the best team we have had since Tom left. I know not as highly ranked, but a more complete team than any of the past staff's teams.

Are we rebuilding, yes, but not as fast as some think. We need top level recruits every class, and we need more of the 5 star variety to be on the level of the National powers. And it has to be year after year.

The next three games are very important for recruiting. National prime time exposure in two of them for sure and possibly all three. We need to make hay while the sun is shinning on Big Red. I think this staff understands that. I look for very aggressive game plans the rest of the way. If we win the next three, the door for recruiting will open wide, the media will love the staff and the direction. But until then we are only in a rebuilding stage, close to where we need to be, but not there yet.

But I must add I think all of these things will be accomplished in short order, and we really only have one person to thank for it. We need to let Mr. Pederson we appreciate where he has us headed.

This is an acceptable level for me. 9-3 (hopefully after Colorado). Wasn't one of the major streaks that came to an end that was well documented by Nebraskans, and nationally by ESPN and the others was our streak of NINE WIN SEASONS? It wasn't a streak of 10 or 11 win seasons that was noted....but 9.

I like the parody of college football. I like having to COMPETE. I like an earned win and not a cakewalk.

Keep in mind while you mention the "What If's" of a 1-loss season....you should equally balance the "What If's" of more lossses than that.

-OT vs Kansas

-Missouri doesn't turn the ball over on a strong drive to begin the 2nd half that lead to an NU score (I mention this as a comparison of your USC argument where the score wasn't close, but Missouri started racking up yards and had some dumb mistakes)

Noted.

Keep in mind that KU game falls under the catagory of us getting complacent or not making adjutments to finish off foes other wise they would have never seen OT.

Mizzou game....They had TO's yes but didnt we force those TO's?

A&M game...again didnt finish what we started that late hit was nice but what if there is no late hit? then we run the same play and Purify goes up there and catches it on 4th and 10 and we still win!!! :lol:

-OT vs Kansas

There are always what if's and, what if's are irrelevant.

A fumble can be a bad player mistake or an excellent hit coupled with a lot of luck (witness the Texas loss). If the defender is two inches lower or Nun is two inches higher, or turns a seocnd later, he doesn't hit the arm hard enough to cause the fumble and NU PROBABLY wins. I say probably becuase that wasn't the last play of the game. What if Mo Pur hadn't made a spectactular catch, in either the Missouri game OR the A & M game. There would have been another play in either case. We can't know so why ruminate about what if's.

It is what happened that counts. :corndance

If we go 9 & 3 it will have been a good year. Playing well in the B12 championship will indicate that we're there with the top teams in the B12. If we go 10 & 3, shazam!

That 3rd quarter lapse thing we do bothers me. Doesn't mean we're not good, just a concern when we lose control of games. Some could easily have been loosers.

It will be extremly hard to do but if we go 11-3 with the losses we have its hard to argue that we arent further along then anyone expects a team to be in the 3rd year of a major overhaul....we get 10 wins thats not a step in the right direction thats a LEAP...and i mean that on a national stage not in the BIG 12

I tuly do feel this is the best team, using the word team as it is suppose to used since Tom's teams. I do not consider the Crouch years as a team. A one man operation designed to get him the Hypsman. Driving other players away and not recruiting any competition for him.

This is a team that BC has built. He is always bringing better and better competition to reach his goal. No one has a promise to play. We are not building the game around one individual. That is what we watched before.

Good topic . . .

I think we're still resoring, but all my reasons are the same most people have already listed (failure to put away Kansas/OK State, not showing up against USC). There are a few kinks to work out, still.

I think the kinks that remain are, unfortunately, Coach Callahan's kinks. This has been said a million times since Big 12 play started, but he just doesn't keep the offensive intensity up enough in the second half and it allows the opponents the breathing room required to fight back into the game.

I think once Coach Callahan learns the "style points" aspect of college football (and we get some depth in the secondary) then we can consider the order officially restored.

But it's close.

I mean i would say that taking a program that has won the past 30 years with power running and turning it into a a multi-dimensional program with recruits made up from all over the country AND were getting more and more into the Texas region where some of the best High School football is played....not many expect that to occur in ONLY 3 years!!!

Unfortunately that is not true.

Many on the board expected it the first year, the second year and every year.

Not realistic.

This staff has accomplished a tremedous amount. And even though some in Nebraska do not give the credit, the National media is beginning to.

I have been on the BC bandwagon since day one. I like where we are headed, but in my mind and I would guess BC's mind we are not there yet. Still a lot of work on all sides to get done. But I am happy to be able to say I have believed since the first serving of Kool Aid and am very glad others are really seeing the light.