Should Bowden and Paterno retire?

hskrdedhed

• 1 month later...

I say yes and could this be an indicator of the writing's on the wall for Bobby?:

Assistant coach leaving Florida State staff

Associated Press

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Bobby Bowden's longest serving assistant coach, Billy Sexton, will be leaving the staff after 30 years to join Florida State's fundraising arm in January.

It's the second change on Bowden's offensive staff in as many months. Bowden's son, Jeff Bowden, resigned as the offensive coordinator. He'll receive his salary through next August, plus $537,000 from the program's boosters, for stepping down.

Florida State (6-6) left Friday for San Francisco, where it will play UCLA (7-5) in the Emerald Bowl on Wednesday.

Sexton played quarterback for the Seminoles in 1973 and will join the FSU Foundation as a development associate with a salary not to exceed his current coaching base of $140,971.

"During my coaching career, I learned the value of fostering relationships," Sexton said in a statement released Friday by the school. "This new position provides me the chance to continue that work."

Sexton, whose son Wyatt Sexton played quarterback for the Seminoles in 2004, joined the coaching staff in 1977 -- Bowden's second at the school and his first winning year at Florida State.

Sexton coached many of Florida State's best backs, including Greg Allen, Warrick Dunn, Greg Jones, Amp Lee, Travis Minor and Sammie Smith.

"He has been an outstanding coach and an exceptional recruiter since the day he walked in the door," Bowden said. "He loves this university. I can't thank him enough for all he has done for FSU football."

Bowden said he plans to announce his new offensive coordinator sometime after the Seminoles' bowl game.

I say yes and could this be an indicator of the writing's on the wall for Bobby?:

Associated Press

*snee, snip*

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. --

Florida State (6-6) left Friday for San Francisco, where it will play UCLA (7-5) in the Emerald Bowl on Wednesday.

*snap, snip, snoopdog*

Bowden said he plans to announce his new offensive coordinator sometime after the Seminoles' bowl game.

It's crap that FSU is going to a bowl game. 6-6, but 3-5 in that weak ACC, tied for 8th.

The battle of the "dont pass me" saga continues:

Paterno: Overall Record 362-121-3

Bowden: Overall Record 364-112-4

They should retire, but they wont. And it will continue to hurt thier programs. At this point it is about ego. Both want the "winningest coach in history" title, It is more or less going to get down to one will die then the other will retire, after getting 1 more win than the other.

Both of them are lucky TO didn't stick around that long, they'd be looking up instead of at that record

Associated Press

*snee, snip*

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. --

*snap, snip, snoopdog*

It's crap that FSU is going to a bowl game. 6-6, but 3-5 in that weak ACC, tied for 8th.

The battle of the "dont pass me" saga continues:

Paterno: Overall Record 362-121-3

Bowden: Overall Record 364-112-4

The following are the current numbers for Bowden, Paterno, and Osborne. I think it is pretty clear who the best coach is among this group. Also, don’t forget, the first two on the list didn’t coach in a major conference until well into their respective careers. Osborne started right off having to coach in the Big-8. Props to Paterno and Bowden for great careers, but it is the length of their careers that have allowed them to pile up the wins. Compared to Bowden for instance; If Osborne had coached as many games as him and continued in his winning ways, his wins at this point would total 397 (compared to Bowden’s 364 and Paterno’s 362). So instead of fighting it out with Paterno for most career coaching victories, Osborne would be looking for win number 400.

Paterno .749 winning pct.

Bowden .764 Winning pct.

Osborne .836 winning pct.