Incredible Stat

I hope our secondary can tackle well on Saturday...if this happens, it will increase our chances of winning greatly since our offense has been able to win the TOP most games this year.

Well if you count LB as secondary, maybe, but I am hoping that the front four step up and with the LBs, make 80% of the run tackles. If they do that, then OU has to pass. Then the D Line can gets about a six pack-o-sacks.

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

That's the way it will pan out. The sooners can't beat us in the air. They'll have to do it on the ground. The sooners do have a good offense. But ours is better. But the sooners do have a great defense.

It will be interesting to see just how Callahan calls this game. The sooners have the number one total defense in the conference. The number one scoring defense in the conference, the number one passing defense. And the number two rushing defense in the conference.

We keep talking about how great the sooner running game is but their real strength is their defense. As you said above, our offense has been able to win most of our games this season. But I don't we will be able to run the ball against them. I mean we might break a long one or two but for the most part they will shut our running game down. I think we'll win this game. But we'll do it with Taylor's arm out of the shotgun. We've been running the ball hard all year. This game we throw it.

http://www.big12sports.com/sports/m-footbl...7/confonly.html

"Conversely, we gave up 112 yards on the other 54 carries - just a smidge over TWO YARDS A CARRY!

Damn. If we can just play 60 minutes of sound defense!!"

Just reality-check me chiming in. To keep up the stats of 2-yards per carry....that is playing PERFECT defense. Not just sound defense. Stuffing 9 runs and giving up one big gainer is pretty common. That's why AVERAGE yard per carry for teams is often 5-7 yards. They all get stuffed before cracking off a long run.

Example: Barry Sanders in Detroit. He is considered by many as one of, if not THE top RB in NFL history. But he was known for (and many times due to his shoddy line) for getting a 2 yard gain, losing a yard, no gain and then jitterbugging around for a 76 yard TD run.

You can't stop every play every time. Opponents defense could say that about us...."Damn we had them on 3 straight incompletions, a 2 yard gain, a 3 yard gain and then Hardy takes a quick out 70 yards." It's part of football.

I'll have to disagree with you to a degree on this, because of those 4 plays listed; that McGhee play was defended completely wrong by Moore(although a poor call by Cosgrove), the long run by Goodson should have been stopped by Shanle before he even got a first down if he just tried to make the sure tackle instead of trying to strip him, and those 2 runs by CU were complete meltdowns. Yes, you are going to have plays when the defense will "give" and the offense finally gets a good play, but 40, 50, 60 yard gains because of a missed tackle or a player being completely out of position can be avoided. The defense won't stuff every run, but some of these big plays can be lessened. I just want some consistency tomorrow when they play. Hopefully, consistently good.

I'm not really disagreeing with you but it seems to me that every play is a result of good call by one side, bad call by the other, good running by one side, bad tackling or position by the other. If every play was perfect on both sides there couldn't even be a game. That's an impossibility. Some plays we win, some plays the opponent wins. We just need more and better winners at the per play level than the opponent.

From a fan's perspective usually every winner for their favorite is a good play and every winner by the opponent is a bad play. usually the opponent's fans have the opposite opinion.

I understand what you are saying, but those 2 plays at A&M made me want to vomit and those 2 at CU were terrible. You can say that they were "good plays" by the offense, but those plays just appeared to be meltdowns, not a play that was blocked well, or where they were just outmatched. Yes, every team gives up big plays sometimes, but there are some damn good rushing defenses that avoid big plays like that. The stats show that this team has great components for defense, but lacks consistency to stop an opponent dead in its tracks. When the defense can eliminate the plays like those listed, they will have a huge game.

Our tackling really is better than we get credit for. Our front seven do a fantastic job of wrapping up 97% of running plays. Remember Texas? They could barely run at all.

thats misleading. Texas could barely run at all all season. They only had 2 100 yard rushers all season, and those were both in the same game if i remember correctly. Kind of odd considering they were supposed to have 4 All-Everything Offensive Linemen.

I guess my point was that we've got the potential to be VERY GOOD against the run.

Yes, big plays happen. But perhaps we are closer to being a true Blackshirts run defense than we realize. Big plays are often a result of a blown assignment or missed tackle, rather than just getting blown off the ball. And with these four runs, (I saw all four), we were not beaten, we missed assignments and/or tackles.

Which gives me some hope.

I guess my point was that we've got the potential to be VERY GOOD against the run.

Yes, big plays happen. But perhaps we are closer to being a true Blackshirts run defense than we realize. Big plays are often a result of a blown assignment or missed tackle, rather than just getting blown off the ball. And with these four runs, (I saw all four), we were not beaten, we missed assignments and/or tackles.

Being a good run defense is up to the front line. If they get through the front 4....it's going to be a good gain because our LB's just don't have the speed, and our secondary has poor tackling techniques and takes terrible angles on ball-carriers.

Being a good run defense is up to the front line. If they get through the front 4....it's going to be a good gain because our LB's just don't have the speed, and our secondary has poor tackling techniques and takes terrible angles on ball-carriers.

As long as the sooners are trying to run the ball between the tackles we won't have too much of a problem stopping them. If they run to the outside and can turn the corner then they may roll up some yards. But our offense is better than the sooners anyway.

The question is who has the advantage? The sooner offense over our defense? Or our offense over the sooner defense?

I think our receivers give us an advantage. We are an extremely balanced team. If Texas can beat them by 18 points, we can beat them. In a game like this Taylor's experience wins it for us.

As long as the sooners are trying to run the ball between the tackles we won't have too much of a problem stopping them. If they run to the outside and can turn the corner then they may roll up some yards. But our offense is better than the sooners anyway.

The question is who has the advantage? The sooner offense over our defense? Or our offense over the sooner defense?

I think our receivers give us an advantage. We are an extremely balanced team. If Texas can beat them by 18 points, we can beat them. In a game like this Taylor's experience wins it for us.

:yeah

Everytime Callahan has opened up the passing playbook we have moved the ball almost at will. Our constantly improving running game has helped to make this happen.

Cally needs to come out of his "NFL shell" and just turn this offense loose on Saturday night; and I think he will.

Sorry for the harsh reality....BUT....

The words "Shanle" and "sure tackle" don't go together!!!

A wise man once told me, "A leopard doesn't change his spots"...

We haven't been a good tackling all year long, so for those of you who are hoping that is how we win, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but in order for our Huskers to win, we need to go to Mo early and put up some points and make OU chase us. In order for us to win, we need to score at least 30 points....

AND I have the faith....

GOOD GUYS 34

Evil Empire 24

GO BIG RED!!!