You can't blame it on the Defense

Our defense played well. Our offense didn't play so great, but I think a good amount of credit needs to go to the OU defense. It's very rare for offenses to just fall apart...often it comes from a defense playing the right kind of game to disrupt that offense and prevent them from getting into any kind of rhythm. And that's exactly what happened tonight. Of course an offense that plays well will find ways to overcome that, which ours didn't. It was still nice to see our D play tough for the whole game.

You know what irritates me is someone posted an article from scout.com from one of their writers that said our offense was fragile and if OU hit us in the mouth that it would throw our offense off and we would never recover............looks like that jerk was right!!!!

He was right. Seemed like it was gut wrenching everytime Zac Taylor dropped back. He could not release the ball without having a Sooner in his face ready to blow him up.

I think all the blame is on coz, everybody is saying that we only gave up 14 points and how we great we were at stopping the run. Sure we stopped a few run plays but they never had to try to run the ball because we gave up 10 yards a pass. All year long we’ve made every quarterback we’ve faced look like All-Americans. We don’t put enough pressure on the passer with the blitz we don’t use any nickel packages. we’re constantly guarding WR with LB and playing players out of position. It’s not Grixby’s fault, he plays hard every play. If he isn’t good enough and there is no one on the team by this time in the season better then it’s all coaching.

We stopped more than a few running plays, the sooners ran the ball at us 28 times for only 42 yards. We also had more total yards offense than the sooners.

We lost the game because of the turnovers.

I was be facetious I know we played well against the run. But stopping the run and getting killed in the air is definitely not the way to coach defense. And what does our total offense have to do with Cosgrove.

I just posted this in another thread before i saw this one.

I understand the disgust with the secondary because it is horrible but let's look back for a minute. OU scored 2 TD's IMO the first one doesn't count it was a gift so in reality NU gave up 14 points we still only scored 7 set up by the D. I will say it again The D set the O up with great field position the entire 2nd half and it was continually pissed away.

Point fingers at cally for not using lucky until half way through the 4th quarter and not using the short passing game to set up the bombs downfield. The one thing that did bother me about the D was that carriker was a non factor and if he was being double teamed why wasnt ola,suh or cryer constantly blasting thompson into the dirt?

sure the defense against the run was good but like some of you said we cant have LB's trying to cover a wr it's just not going to happen. but i do blame PART of the secondary, and coaching for not getting the job done. i dont see how hard is it for the coaches not to recongnize what ou was doing with passsing game. they were rolling out to the left then rolling out to the right that cant be that hard to catch on to, and needless to say that about 90% of their passing yards went against grixby.

I just posted this in another thread before i saw this one.

I understand the disgust with the secondary because it is horrible but let's look back for a minute. OU scored 2 TD's IMO the first one doesn't count it was a gift so in reality NU gave up 14 points we still only scored 7 set up by the D. I will say it again The D set the O up with great field position the entire 2nd half and it was continually pissed away.

Point fingers at cally for not using lucky until half way through the 4th quarter and not using the short passing game to set up the bombs downfield. The one thing that did bother me about the D was that carriker was a non factor and if he was being double teamed why wasnt ola,suh or cryer constantly blasting thompson into the dirt?

The reason Carriker was a non factor and constantly double teamed is because our brilliant D. Coordinator thinks it a good idea to always put our best defensive player on the “strong side” every play so he is double teamed constantly.

I agree our offence didn’t get it done last night but our d has been horrible against the pass all year

I agree they were taking advantage of the Kelly and Grixby match up, but if Grixby can’t cover him then get one of the young guys out there, or a nickel back to double cover or how about a few more blitzes to put more pressure on the qb. When coz blitzed it worked he just didn’t do it enough

Zac got a lot of pressure this game and rattled him some. The biggest problem for us was on defense and not stopping the pass. Difference being, OU had a great secondary NU had a bad secondary. They frustrated Zac with pressure and no open receivers. On the flip side, OU could pass almost at will against our secondary. If you watch that drive where they passed and passed all the way to the endzone and scored. They passed every single time to whoever grixby was covering. I like courtney because he tries hard but he just isn't a DIV 1 cornerback. He's way undersized and doesn't have any closing speed and rarely makes a play for the ball let alone make a tackle. If we want to improve anything next year, it had better be the secondary.