Stat Of The Game

You're oversimplifying our criticism. NU's offense is predicated on balance.

You strive for balance overall, but you do what's open in a certain game. To that end, there were plays to be made and they didn't get made. Recievers open, etc, etc, etc.

If game planning was so good why didnt Cosgrove at least for one

series take out Grixby or get him some help over the top.

We made a gad damn receiver at QB look like Payton Manning

And why is our best linebacker (you know who Im talking about) only

playing half the snaps.

Had to get that off my chest.

:dunno

playing half the snaps.

On the touchdown pass, Shanle was the help "over the top". He took the wrong receiver.

Once again, play calling was fine. Plays were there to be made and they didn't get made. Receivers weren't getting open, OU seemed to play good pass defense or Taylor was waiting way to long to get rid of the ball.

It never fails. "Well the pass didn't work so we should have run more. Well the run didn't work, so we should have passed more. We should have run a triple reverse option pass with Erickson. We should have put in Purfiy as a quarterback." Blah blah blah blah blah.

Sure sounds like DaveH knows what he's talking about :sarcasm

If the reveivers weren't getting open or OU seemed to play good pass defense, how in the world can you consider that "doing what's open in a certain game"?

It certainly doesnt justify 50 pass attempts (no games ever should IMO)

And dont tell me Im one of those fans who complains when we dont pass the ball that we should have and vice versa. Im not one of those fans. I believe the run game sets up everything else and should ALWAYS be established first.

If the reveivers weren't getting open or OU seemed to play good pass defense, how in the world can you consider that "doing what's open in a certain game"?

My point was that on the plays that mattered most, they were there but they didn't get done. Period. Who's to say that another play would have worked or wouldn't. But on those INT's the play was there and the throw wasn't there. That's the point.

It never fails. "Well the pass didn't work so we should have run more. Well the run didn't work, so we should have passed more. We should have run a triple reverse option pass with Erickson. We should have put in Purfiy as a quarterback." Blah blah blah blah blah.

You're oversimplifying our criticism. NU's offense is predicated on balance.

I thought that our offense was predicated on what the defense gave us. And OU's defense didn't give us very much.

Sure. But they weren't exactly giving us the pass.

Sure, Taylor missed a few receivers, but I didn't see enough wide-ass open receivers to really shrug this off as an "off night" for Taylor. Nobody was open, and for the most part, Taylor had very little space in which to put the ball. Wouldn't it make sense that in order to make Taylor's passes easier, we needed to utilize our running backs? We passed, passed, passed, and then when that didn't work we were in 3rd and long. Our most successful drives were when we got 3 and 4 yards on first down by letting Jackson ride the O line and "get what the defense would give us."

I'm no coach, and I don't claim to be an expert. But don't you need to keep a wide open playbook with the WCO? Isn't that it's biggest strength?

I'm not really complaining, or being a "troll." I thought the effort on offense could have been a bit better at the skill positions, but it seemed like the offensive line played pretty well against a scary Oklahoma defense. I really didn't see very many open receivers all game, and I wish the play calling could have done more to help them out.

playing half the snaps.

Don't blame the defence. The WCO needs to put up more than 7 points.

I give OU's defensive game plan credit. It's not a secret for those to watch film that Zach has a weakness when his recievers are covered decently. So he held onto the ball a little to long, the pocket did collapse, and he got frustrated. He's not a runner, and he isnt mobile. Things broke down. The dump offs & screens worked alright in the second half though.

BJAX ran the ball well enough. Lucky and KWil also showed some explosiveness. I know sitting in front of the big screen I would have liked to see more running, but I'm not going to say it was bad playcalling. Players make plays and the ones that dont, punt.

DaveH, you said this in the "trick play" topic:

"I don't think we were that predictable, although I was wondering why we didn't get back to the run that much after we got down by a few scores."

EXACTLY! That's what I'm saying. Then, receivers would have gotten open. Thus, balance.

Yea, I said that. Doesn't mean I thought the playcalling was "The worst ever", which is the topic of this thread. If the plays were there to be made, then the calls were OK. You can sit and second guess plays all day, but it isn't going to get anyone anywhere because no on can prove or disprove that play X could have worked or play Y could have worked.

We threw the ball a ton, that's for sure. Probably roughly twice the "normal" amount of attempts.

The fact of the matter is that we played an exceptional team that exposed our weaknesses - offensive line and defensive secondary. Simple as that. While we had some sucess with the run initially, it didn't last. That forced us to the pass. Trouble is, OU's secondary did a great job, resulting in our receivers being covered most of the time - so long that the pass blocking failed too often.

On defense, Thompson was great. He may be a "wide receiver turned quarterback", but he had all the time in the world to pass, and our defensive secondary couldn't begin to contain the receivers for any lengh of time.

We have to shore up those areas. I feel pretty good about the offensive line - they are relatively young, and made a quantum leap in imporvement from last year to this year.

I'm far more concerned about our secondary. Even with better talent from recent recruiting, the fact is that we will be inexperienced. Have to hope that the sheer physical talent improvement will carry them through next year.

I don't know about you guys but I was surprised to see a pass play on the first down of the game. I was surprised at what was going after that until the end. That being said, Nebraska had a plan to win the game and they didn't execute. You can talk play calling but I don't know how serious it can really get. I don't know about you but I've never myself tried to put an offense scheme together. If anyone here has I would like to know so we know here on huskerboard who really knows how to run the WCO. I'm just saying that it's hard to criticize play calling unless they are just horribly obvious calls imo (onside punt on 1st down). Remember the 95 Hukers? They executed every down, and they could tell the defense exactly what they were going to do and they still couldn't stop them.

I don't know about you guys but I was surprised to see a pass play on the first down of the game. I was surprised at what was going after that until the end. That being said, Nebraska had a plan to win the game and they didn't execute. You can talk play calling but I don't know how serious it can really get. I don't know about you but I've never myself tried to put an offense scheme together. If anyone here has I would like to know so we know here on huskerboard who really knows how to run the WCO. I'm just saying that it's hard to criticize play calling unless they are just horribly obvious calls imo (onside punt on 1st down). Remember the 95 Hukers? They executed every down, and they could tell the defense exactly what they were going to do and they still couldn't stop them.

Execution was a factor, for sure.

Sometimes, though, coaches put their teams out on the field in situations where they are being asked to "execute" a triple gaynor back flip from the high dive into an empty pool.

But I'm not coach, so WTF do I know?

Who is a coach? Who actually knows what they're talking about? I'm just a disappointed NU fan with nothing to do on a Sunday.

I totally respect this coaching staff, though. They've given us a very exciting season, and Saturdays have been very interesting this year.