Redshirted Freshman

Month before Cotton Bowl crucial to Huskers' success

By: Ben Gouldsmith

Issue date: 12/5/06 Section: Husker Football

PrintEmail Article Tools Page 1 of 1

Media Credit: DN File Photo

Nebraska's J.B. Phillips will be returning to his home state of Texas when Nebraska plays Auburn in the Cotton Bowl on New Year's Day. The Cornhuskers have played in the Cotton Bowl three previous times with a 1-2 record.

[Click to enlarge]

Two days after losing the Big 12 Conference Championship game, Cornhusker players were ready to move on.

It's not like they have much of a choice.

With Saturday's 21-7 loss to Oklahoma still fresh on their minds, the No. 22 Huskers now must focus on preparations for No. 10 Auburn in the Cotton Bowl on Jan. 1 in Dallas.

"You can't have the Big 12 Championship back," said Nebraska senior quarterback Zac Taylor. "Obviously we want it back, but it's not going to come. You can still salvage the season with a big win against a great team like Auburn."

The Tigers own a 10-2 record, with their only losses coming at home against Southeastern Conference opponents Arkansas on Oct. 7 and Georgia on Nov. 11. Auburn has wins over No. 2 Florida and No. 4 LSU.

NU Coach Bill Callahan said during Monday's Big 12 coaches teleconference that he was excited about the opportunity to play a marquee team in the bowl game.

"If I had my druthers, I would play No. 1 through 10 if I could," Callahan said. "I would schedule them all, and that's because of the expectations at Nebraska. If you want to be great, you've got to play them all."

Because the bowl game is nearly a month away and because final exams begin next week, the Huskers will get a bit of a break from the regular practice routine this week and work on conditioning.

NU junior tight end J.B. Phillips, who grew up about 30 minutes from the Cotton Bowl in Colleyville, Texas, said the month before bowl practices is almost like another fall camp.

"You can work on some of the younger guys and develop them," Phillips said, "but you can also get in there and really get some work done and work on the fundamentals."

An extra month of practice is also beneficial because it can help returning players get ready for next season.

NU players this year have credited their preparations before their win over Michigan in last year's Alamo Bowl at a time during which they were able to improve, especially since the team only gets 15 days of practice in the spring.

"It think it's a great bonus," Callahan said of the extra practice time. "Here in bowl practice, you can go crazy, and you can practice every day."

A win in the Cotton Bowl would be a confidence boost for returning players, said NU senior defensive end Adam Carriker, but the seniors also want to end their collegiate careers with a win.

"There's still plenty to play for," Carriker said.

That doesn't mean the Huskers have forgotten the sting of Saturday's loss, Carriker said.

But the next month should give players an opportunity to watch film and work on deficiencies in their technique before Jan. 1.

This month also allows Nebraska's coaches plenty of time to put together a strong game plan for the Cotton Bowl.

Callahan said Monday he was disappointed with his coaching against Oklahoma.

"It all falls on my shoulders," Callahan said. "I'm pretty aggravated, to say the least."

Saturday's loss prevented the Huskers from earning a BCS bid to the Fiesta Bowl, but Taylor said the Huskers shouldn't be lacking motivation going to Dallas.

"It's not going to put a ring on your finger," Taylor said, "but going out with a win against Auburn would give this team a lot of momentum going into next season."

INJURY NOTE: Brandon Jackson suffered a broken hand during Saturday's game, Callahan said.

The junior I-back, who leads the Huskers in rushing with an average of 73.2 yards per game, picked up 70 yards on 13 carries against the Sooners before leaving the game in the third quarter.

so back to the topic title, which freshmen will be red shirted this year now that the only game left this year is the Cotton Bowl and at this point it would be rediculous to play someone now

I agree........why burn a redshirt for the last game of the season???? That wouldn't make much sense to me.........