Bowman Returning

The point here is that my memory of Cosgrove’s years at Wisconsin do not make me very optimistic about the future of our defense, and from what I can tell by the numbers, my memory was pretty good. Also, I did not look up Bohl and Pelini’s numbers, but that’s because they were short timers and not that good anyway. I do not want to be mediocre. I want to be the Blackshirts that I have gotten used to. The team that doesn’t adopt the “bend but don’t break” mentality. Rather, we used to never bend, never break, just beat the crap outta the other team. Just because Coz had a good year once almost ten years ago in Wisconsin, doesn’t mean he is a good coordinator. And the fact that he is not a good coordinator was my point in the first place.

What made McBride a good DC?

Wistrom, Peter(s), Tomich, Farley, Veland, Minter, Williams , Booker. Yeah, NU hit the defensive recruiting trail hard, and yes McBride made some changes to his system from what he was running in the 80's.

At Wisconsin the D was getting the left overs from the offense, that was Alverez's main concern was getting some O players, understandbly being were they have to recruit against.

I think that you might see a little more out to Coz's D when NU can field a complete D, yes they have a strong front 4, but I don't think the LB's are as great as many would like to think, not saying they are slouches by any means, combine that with a secondary that was pieced together from nothing and you get results like this season. And actually they didn't do to poorly considering.

The thing is, we don’t really know how much talent we have. The linebackers looked good much of the time last season, but Coz’s new schemes have them out of position most of the time. Also, the d-backs are out of position. And what is up with Elmo telling the press that the young d-backs are not ready “next question.” Isn’t it his job to get them ready? Isn’t it the D-coordinator’s job to make sure the CB coach does his job? Bad coaches! Coz has to go!

We gave up, considering the fumble at the two yard line, 14 true points to a team that has only legitmately lost one game all year. We only have up 21 to a team that hasnt scored under twenty in like fifty years or something rediculus like that. I thought our offense let us down a heck of alot more than our defense did in the big games this year. You expect to win when you only let USC, Texas, and Oklahoma score in the low twenties, at least you better with the number nine offense in the country.

USC only scored 7 against UCLA. What was differant about UCLA's gameplan? Well, they blitzed and kept presure on USC. They didn't play scared. They didn't cover wide receivers with linebackers. They used nickel packages. Oh, and by the way, living out here I can tell you...UCLA gets none of the talent. They get all of the leftovers. Their defense was just coached better. If we would have had their gameplan we would have won that game because our offense score more than 7. There is a serious problem on the defensive side of the ball and until it is fixed we are screwed. Coz has to go!

being born and raised in SoCal, i'm calling bs. those "leftovers" are pretty good... UCLA gets a lot of talented athletes. Why they aren't discussed more among perenial underachievers i will never understand.

i also love the logic. "UCLA did it so we should too"... not that personel dosen't have anything to do with it, or the fact that USC played the worst game of the season... by your reasoning, everbody in the Pac 10 that finished higher than Oregon St. should've beaten USC... plus Boise St... man UCLA must be pretty overrated to need a miracle int by the defensive end to hang on for the win over a crappy USC team...

USC only scored 7 against UCLA. What was differant about UCLA's gameplan? Well, they blitzed and kept presure on USC. They didn't play scared. They didn't cover wide receivers with linebackers. They used nickel packages. Oh, and by the way, living out here I can tell you...UCLA gets none of the talent. They get all of the leftovers. Their defense was just coached better. If we would have had their gameplan we would have won that game because our offense score more than 7. There is a serious problem on the defensive side of the ball and until it is fixed we are screwed. Coz has to go!

They blitzed and kept pressure on USC? Nickel Packages? Maybe that is why USC pass for more yards against UCLA than Nebraska.

Booty went 37-25 against NU and 39-23 against UCLA.

Nice try.

The point here is that my memory of Cosgrove’s years at Wisconsin do not make me very optimistic about the future of our defense, and from what I can tell by the numbers, my memory was pretty good. Also, I did not look up Bohl and Pelini’s numbers, but that’s because they were short timers and not that good anyway. I do not want to be mediocre. I want to be the Blackshirts that I have gotten used to. The team that doesn’t adopt the “bend but don’t break” mentality. Rather, we used to never bend, never break, just beat the crap outta the other team. Just because Coz had a good year once almost ten years ago in Wisconsin, doesn’t mean he is a good coordinator. And the fact that he is not a good coordinator was my point in the first place.

What made McBride a good DC?

Wistrom, Peter(s), Tomich, Farley, Veland, Minter, Williams , Booker. Yeah, NU hit the defensive recruiting trail hard, and yes McBride made some changes to his system from what he was running in the 80's.

At Wisconsin the D was getting the left overs from the offense, that was Alverez's main concern was getting some O players, understandbly being were they have to recruit against.

I think that you might see a little more out to Coz's D when NU can field a complete D, yes they have a strong front 4, but I don't think the LB's are as great as many would like to think, not saying they are slouches by any means, combine that with a secondary that was pieced together from nothing and you get results like this season. And actually they didn't do to poorly considering.

The thing is, we don’t really know how much talent we have. The linebackers looked good much of the time last season, but Coz’s new schemes have them out of position most of the time. Also, the d-backs are out of position. And what is up with Elmo telling the press that the young d-backs are not ready “next question.” Isn’t it his job to get them ready? Isn’t it the D-coordinator’s job to make sure the CB coach does his job? Bad coaches! Coz has to go!

or, perhaps the schemes made them seem better than they were last year. And now that we've run out of ways to disguise the shortcomings, we are seeing them for what they really are... can you really say one way or the other?

or, perhaps the schemes made them seem better than they were last year. And now that we've run out of ways to disguise the shortcomings, we are seeing them for what they really are... can you really say one way or the other?

Could be, that and NU has some serious needs in secondary.

I am sure as soon as one of those freshman gets burnt for TD, some would be screaming at Coz or Elmassian for playing the young guys rather than guys with experience.

We gave up, considering the fumble at the two yard line, 14 true points to a team that has only legitmately lost one game all year. We only have up 21 to a team that hasnt scored under twenty in like fifty years or something rediculus like that. I thought our offense let us down a heck of alot more than our defense did in the big games this year. You expect to win when you only let USC, Texas, and Oklahoma score in the low twenties, at least you better with the number nine offense in the country.

oh and it was a home game (even though there were a lot of Usc fans there) and it's a huge rivalry. and UCLA gets real decent players, if they came here i know you'd be supportive, so the "leftovers" gets a...you guessed it :nanalama

I have to agree with Ca husker living in So Cal most of the top high school kids go to S.C. and UCLA gets the rest. Of course ucla gets talent theres a lot of good high school football in so cal but usc gets the best, they always have.

oh and it was a home game (even though there were a lot of Usc fans there) and it's a huge rivalry. and UCLA gets real decent players, if they came here i know you'd be supportive, so the "leftovers" gets a...you guessed it :nanalama

For those of you who don’t know anything about Southern California sports (and that includes all of you), USC gets whomever they want from the local talent pool. The best high school programs out here are like a farm system for SC. Kids regularly go to USC from the City Section, Southern Section CIF, and Northern Section CIF. They have successfully “recruited” players from J.W. North in Riverside (Claiborne), Eisenhower High in Rialto (R.J. Soward), The “619” (Reggie Bush), Keyshawn Johnson from Downtown L.A., and EVERYBODY from Long Beach Poly… UCLA gets all the leftovers. I stand by the statement. The only kids who USC routinely loses in recruiting are the kids from the Catholic schools who choose Notre Dame (and puhleeezzzzzzz don’t be geeks and nit-pick, I realize these are broad generalizations).

Now, that being said, UCLA has improved this season, and the Defense that was absolute toast last year when they played USC, was able to hold SC to only one TD. They may have given up a lot of yards, but they still got the job done and they held USC to fewer points than UCLA’s offense scored (and by-the-way fewer points than our offense scored against USC) and that is how you win football games. Admittedly they have not fixed all of their problems on defense, but they fixed it enough to shut down USC. Now, that may seem like a simple formula, but many of you don’t understand it. My point, and it is as valid now as when I first stated it, is that the coaches for UCLA held USC in check. The players had to make the plays, but the coaching staff designed the game plan…and it worked. Many here who keep defending Coz want to use the NU/USC game as an example of good defense. UCLA has not looked that good against many teams they played this season, but they shut down USC. So Nebraska holding USC to ONLY 28 points, is not an example of good defense.

Oh and another by-the-way, I realize that USC doesn’t have the talent on offense that they had last season, but one of the big differences in the way UCLA handled them this year was THE COACH THAT DESIGNED THE GAME PLAN!!! You see, UCLA realized that when your defensive coordinator SUCKS, you need to fire him and get someone competent in there to take his place. That is the one thing we can learn from the baby Bruins about how to fix a problem.

For those of you who don’t know anything about Southern California sports (and that includes all of you), USC gets whomever they want from the local talent pool. The best high school programs out here are like a farm system for SC. Kids regularly go to USC from the City Section, Southern Section CIF, and Northern Section CIF. They have successfully “recruited” players from J.W. North in Riverside (Claiborne), Eisenhower High in Rialto (R.J. Soward), The “619” (Reggie Bush), Keyshawn Johnson from Downtown L.A., and EVERYBODY from Long Beach Poly… UCLA gets all the leftovers. I stand by the statement. The only kids who USC routinely loses in recruiting are the kids from the Catholic schools who choose Notre Dame (and puhleeezzzzzzz don’t be geeks and nit-pick, I realize these are broad generalizations).

Now, that being said, UCLA has improved this season, and the Defense that was absolute toast last year when they played USC, was able to hold SC to only one TD. They may have given up a lot of yards, but they still got the job done and they held USC to fewer points than UCLA’s offense scored (and by-the-way fewer points than our offense scored against USC) and that is how you win football games. Admittedly they have not fixed all of their problems on defense, but they fixed it enough to shut down USC. Now, that may seem like a simple formula, but many of you don’t understand it. My point, and it is as valid now as when I first stated it, is that the coaches for UCLA held USC in check. The players had to make the plays, but the coaching staff designed the game plan…and it worked. Many here who keep defending Coz want to use the NU/USC game as an example of good defense. UCLA has not looked that good against many teams they played this season, but they shut down USC. So Nebraska holding USC to ONLY 28 points, is not an example of good defense.

Oh and another by-the-way, I realize that USC doesn’t have the talent on offense that they had last season, but one of the big differences in the way UCLA handled them this year was THE COACH THAT DESIGNED THE GAME PLAN!!! You see, UCLA realized that when your defensive coordinator SUCKS, you need to fire him and get someone competent in there to take his place. That is the one thing we can learn from the baby Bruins about how to fix a problem.

So should UCLA fire their defensive coordinator this year because they gave up 38 to Cal, 37 to Wash St, and 30 to Oregon. Or should he be called the defensive coordinator of the year for his ONE great game plan against USC. To clarify my post, I don't think he should be fired, but I don't think we should be praising him like a God because of his one good game plan against USC.

So should UCLA fire their defensive coordinator this year because they gave up 38 to Cal, 37 to Wash St, and 30 to Oregon. Or should he be called the defensive coordinator of the year for his ONE great game plan against USC. To clarify my post, I don't think he should be fired, but I don't think we should be praising him like a God because of his one good game plan against USC.

Agreed, but as pathetic as he is, he still put together a better game plan than our genius defensive coordinator did. WTF, are you related to Coz or what? If not, are you watching the games? Coz has to go… that’s the bottom line.

No, I am not related to Cosgrove. Yes, I watch every game and then rewatch every game that I was able to tape. Does some of Cosgroves play calling make me upset? Yes it does. Is his playing calling the only thing that is holding this defense back? No, it is not. There are a ton of variables that go on during a defensive series and play calling is not the only one that is keeping this defense from being great. We have had some key injuries Bowman, Dilliard, Octo that has reduced our depth to pretty much nothing at key positions. We have missed a ton of tackles, which is part to due to coaching, part to focus, and part to plain ol' execution.

So to sum this up. Yes, Cosgrove makes some poor play calls on defense, but their is also more to blame than just him and once some people realize that, they may be able to sleep a little better at night.