Auburn fans threw bottles at our players....

I attended Auburn and for a fact know we have had a few bad apples in our stands. However most teams do have a few bad apples in their stands. I wouldn't judge the whole fan base based on a few bad apples. I am sure you get drinks in some college students, some can't handle the liquor and make arses out of themselves. I have been in most major NFL and college venues and see maniacs in all of them. Unfortunately we have no way of screening these type of people as they enter the stadiums.

I am sorry for the bad experience your family suffered in the past. Please don't think all our fans are like that. Most non-conference visitors that come to Jordan Hare Stadium gloat about there experience in the deep south. Complimenting on the good ole southern hospitality, great bbq and the southern gals with accents. LOL

There hasn't been one stadium I have walked in as a visitor NFL or College where someone wouldn't yell some obscene gesture at me while I was with my young kids. Flip me a finger and tell me and my kids to go to hell. LOL Embarassing yes. But for most, the fans of the home team overall were welcoming.

I am sure If I were to walk around your stadium and mingle amongst your fans wearing my orange and blue someone would say something that would be considered out of line as far as good sportsmanship. It happens everywhere. But 99% of Husker fans like Auburn fans would say welcome. :)

Heck we have Nebraska fans in our forums eating us alive. LOL Lets just say these bad apples are everywhere. LOL

Anyways I am glad we get to play you guys and look forward to seeing you at the Cotton Bowl. Best of luck. :)

Teddy

Here's a quote from and ESPN commentator and analyst on his visit to Auburn for the AU/UGA 2004 game. You may find it interesting...

Posted by ESPN's Scott Van Pelt... on the Marlyand Terps forum (he is a Maryland grad, but was in Auburn this weekend for the game (Au/UGA 2004) because his girlfriend is an Auburn grad).

Imagine you have been married to the same woman for more than 30 years, you love her more than anything - nothing could ever change that. You have shared many of your best memories with her and would never leave her under any circumstances. Then you spend a day with a woman who in some ways is more beautiful than your wife...you may never see her again...but you won't forget her for a while either.

Maryland is my wife...Auburn is " the other woman ".

If you all love college sports - and I assume you do - you really need to see a game there. I have been lucky to see a lot of places, I have not seen a lot of places like that. It's an amazing scene in every respect. Granted, I was there for # 3 vs. # 5...Auburn was 9-0 so it was bound to be good.

Some highlights:

I arrived at night with the stadium lit up like a Christmas tree. It sits dead in the middle of campus. A shrine...literally their church - only services are held on Saturday. Made me say....hmmmm...this is promising.

Gameday scene:

Tailgating in every available space...and not like some field full of RV's - though they had that too. But literally people grilling and drinking in every available spot for as far as the eye could see. I lost count of the number of bands and stages and this was at 9 AM.

The Fans:

I knew I was in a " red state " from all the Suburbans with W stickers but the truth of it is, this part of Alabama is an orange state. Every man woman and child is in the same shade of orange. Not unusual I know ...but THIS was...they are nice, friendly , and polite - to GEORGIA FANS. Nobody called anyone in Black and Red f****t or *sshole..nobody told them they sucked nobody told them *uck you. These people are your friends, you don't know it yet because you haven't met them - but when you do - you have met a friend. you want a beer ? some bar- B - Q ? grab some. Let's talk for a while....war eagle...let's have a good game. I saw this at tailgate after tailgate. Stragglers who wander by are offered anything that's available - didn't matter what color they were wearing. This is the oldest rivalry in the South - they call it Brother vs. Brother and they mean it. Now there are certainly cliche's about downhome country sensibilities - but these folks embodied the best part of the notion of southern hospitality. Though many did admit it's a tad LESS civil for the Iron Bowl.

Tiger Walk:

Impossible to describe. Im - possible. A human welcome mat for the team. The team walks through several blocks to Jordan - Hare through a sea of people. I asked somebody how many folks were there and was told they could never come up with an accurate head count but that they were certain it was " well in excess of 25,000 people. " That looked a little light to me...I would have bought 40 grand. 2 hours before kick the streets in all directions were completely - and I mean COMPLETELY jammed. It was like a religious experience. If you can be in the middle of this - and I was lucky enough to get to walk through it - and not be overwhelmed , you are dead my friend. ( I just went Larry King on your asses- sorry )I was honestly in awe.

Gametime:

The eagle circles as 87,521 people ( less the UGA fans ) cheer Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar EAGLE HEY!!! The eagle pounces on some meat product and the hair on the back of your neck stands up...then if you are still unimpressed you get an F 16 flyover and were off and running.

Auburn dominates, the band plays, the fans hoot and holler louder than anywhere I have ever been ( and go Spinal tap and take it to volume 11 when UGa tries to audible ) 24 - 6 and it's time for more food and drink...but before that...

Toomer's corner:

Everyone converges on the intersection of college st and whatever the other road is and they toilet paper every tree in sight. By the time it's over, it looks like a blizzard has rolled through Alabama. There are no riots, no police, no cars set on fire. There are families from grandparents to infants chcuking rolls of toilet paper all over the place. Again, i just shake my head at a loss...and maybe a little jealous.

It's a special place, the best scene I have ever seen for college football. I have ZERO doubt " our " TEAM could someday be as good. As fans though, perhaps we should aspire to be as classy as those I was hosted by. The type of hostile, vile garbage we are subjected to on the road and are certainly guilty of at home is just embarrassing when you see how they do it elsewhere. Not preaching here - just some thoughts of one VERY proud Terrapin after seeing the light Auburn style.

Go Terps - let's get #5 on Thursday night.

This article reflects what at least 97% of Auburn fan's are like. But as WarTim said, you always get some bad apples who feel that the best way to show their support is to throw things at the other team or make rude gestures, or even get in fights. I wish there was a way to keep people like this out of Auburn, but at the moment, they're there and there's nothing we can do about them. In our own defense, however, if you talk to a random Auburn fan in a friendly tone, chances are, they'll show you the same hospitality that Scott Van Pelt was shown in his trip to Auburn. I hope this shed's some light on the subject.

At the Board tailgate for the Texas game, we had an Auburn fan show up in his Auburn garb. He fit in perfectly with everyone. A great fan, gentleman and very knowledgeable of our program and his.

Truly enjoyed him and the group he had with him. They were not quite ready for the weather though. Had to share some Nebraska sweatshirts.

He inturn sent me a very nice email, thanking me and Blackshirt for our hospitality. Welcomed us to come to a Auburn game. All seemed like great people. Now of course he is not a student and has matured some I am sure, like alot of us have and some that will.

College football fans are normally good people. I think considerably different than pro fans. Give them a chance and overlook the 10% and you will have a great time with any college football fan, some students excluded.

last time we played them! No sh*t! My grandfather, rest his soul , went to the game in Bama , and was horrified at what he saw. I am not making this up. I believe the game was played in the early 80s if I am not mistaken. I have never forgotten that. :bonez

And we don't have :asshat fans??

I've had no problem whatsoever conversing with AU fans on their forums. Everyone has seemed polite, cordial and genuine. They like to talk football just as much as we do.

I think the sportsmanship will be outstanding at this year's Cotton Bowl. Can you imagine how bright the stands will look with all that red and orange? Bring your shades folks!! I think a lot of friends will be made between the Nebraska and Auburn faithful over the coming weeks. I've seen a ton of mutual respect in all forums. If we do see any bad apples from either team, we'll drag them outside of the stadium and throw bottles at them. We can set up a bad apple jail outside. Hahahahaha!!! J/k. lol I think Nebraska fans are as excited to play us as we are them. SEC vs Big 12?? Got to love it. :)

I am sure after this game, Auburn fans will watch Nebraska next season and root for them in the Big 12 conference. This bowl game will be a war. But at the same time we'll become friends and allies. Thats the kind of fans we are. What if Nebraska wins the Big 12 undefeated and we win the SEC unbeaten next year? Can you imagine us back in the forums yacking it up for the national title? I wouldn't complain. You Husker fans seem to be a class act. I've been to Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech stadiums and wasn't impressed. Hopefully in the future Auburn might take a trip to Lincoln so we can experience your traditions.

WARRRRRR EAGLE!!!!