sCUm article in ESPN the magazine

huskerhaze

Few snippets I pulled from pedia..

Traditionally, the students who pack Folsom Field on fall weekends have been among the most loathsome in all of college football. Drunk and inevitably out of control, these are the fans who, in happier times, thought it fun to stuff marshmallows with batteries and hurl them at opposing players.

The police ejected 60 fans in the opening loss to Montana State and 68 more in the loss to ASU a few weeks later. Both totals were Folsom records. Funny thing is, the numbers actually indicate student enthusiasm has hit an all-time low. "If we tried to arrest every intoxicated person who was throwing things when the Buffs were winning, we would have ejected a majority of the student section," says Commander Tim McGraw of the campus police.

"Football is a powerful part of CU's ritualized drinking," says Robert Maust, of the University's Standing Committee on Substance Abuse. Students start early in the morning and don't stop. By the time they make it to the game, what happens on the field is irrelevant." "We found a student in the bushes who was turning blue," he says. He blew a .40. He survived, but it happens all the time." Already this season, more intoxicated fans have needed emergency medical attention on game day than in the past two years combined. "Students come in with a .30 blood alcohol level and think it's funny," says Chris Saunders, of the Boulder County Public Health's Addiction and Recovery Center.

"We want students to take pride in our team instead of disparaging our opponent," Bohn says. "People should feel welcome at the stadium." According to an ESPN poll, 22% of fans say they go to fewer games because of the drunken fans.

yeah, the article was great. I just read it. Like 3 pages long about how the Buffs fans care more about drinking than they do about their team....how the students arrive during the third quarter, how the first thing you notice when you get to the stadium is the cops, how the fans throw marshmallow's filled with batteries....

and in my mind the kicker....

...how much money the athletic department is losing. From a combination of how bad the team/program is doing and the fans. People aren't donating money and aren't coming to see games. They're in debt by $8 million!! They had to take a loan out to help cover for the time being. Hahahaha....wouldn't it be great to see the program go under and go bankrupt??!!

I just could never imagine anything like that ever happening in Lincoln. Our fans are more like the fans they interviewed in the previous article (talking about if certain fans take the game of football too seriously...it was about 3 NFL Panther's fans).

It was truly an enlightening article. The writer did a great job presenting things as they were instead of glorifying it (which is what I was expecting) or shaking his finger and saying, "Bad Buff fans!" and letting the facts do it instead.

the best part is the CU fans weren't denying any of it. You didn't see them say "well, that's only a select few of fans. but every school has them." It's gotten so bad that everyone has learned to accept it and just say, "yeah, we're bad sportsman. wanna get drunk and throw rocks at KU fans?"

the best part is the CU fans weren't denying any of it. You didn't see them say "well, that's only a select few of fans. but every school has them." It's gotten so bad that everyone has learned to accept it and just say, "yeah, we're bad sportsman. wanna get drunk and throw rocks at KU fans?"

Exactly. It was as if they didn't know the guy was a reporter or something.

Exactly. It was as if they didn't know the guy was a reporter or something.

I love it!!!! :clap

• 2 weeks later...

I am assuming from reading these posts that almost everyone has had as bad of experience as I have had at sCUm games? My blood boils thinking about how crappy they act and the sh#t that was thrown at me during one game, not to mention the things I have called. However, most of the crap is from the out of control students. I have had some great conversations and tailgating experience with the "older" crowd from sCUm.