What does the Big Red need to do to beat Auburn?

What does the Big Red need to do to beat Auburn and secondly what do they need to do to return to national prominence? - Kevin Lloyd, Omaha, Neb.

Trev Alberts:

First, let me say I am really excited as a former player at Nebraska that the Cornhuskers drew Auburn.

For Nebraska to consider itself back, it has to win some of the games like the Big 12 Championship against Oklahoma and Bill Callahan was almost distraught over not winning that game and sending the seniors to a BCS game.

But I just think this is a great matchup for Nebraska. Once again, it matches them up with a high quality opponent that can really help put the program back on the map. They have made a tremendous amount of progress. Nobody would ever doubt that. But the final step is beating top-tier teams.

A review of Callahan's three years shows they haven't beat anybody they were not supposed to beat. Auburn might not have played up to their potential thanks to a bunch of injuries, but they have an awful lot of speed. I think it's just a measuring stick to find out how far Nebraska has come. They are getting closer. If they go out and beat an underrated Auburn team, it's a confidence booster for next year. I think it is an extremely important game for them.

I would disagree with the:

"A review of Callahan's three years shows they haven't beat anybody they were not supposed to beat." comment.

Without going back and reviewing every game of the last three years I can say that last year's Alamo Bowl victory was against a favored Michigan team. So there's one.

I hope we can beat Auburn so people will begin to take notice of the things we are achieving here at Nebraska. I'm doing a statistics project on the last three years of Nebraska football and it involves all of the stats from the previous season exclusing bowl games. It's amazing how far we have come in a short time after you look at the 2004 stats and the 2006 stats...........

I would disagree with the:

"A review of Callahan's three years shows they haven't beat anybody they were not supposed to beat." comment.

Without going back and reviewing every game of the last three years I can say that last year's Alamo Bowl victory was against a favored Michigan team. So there's one.

Obviously, the quotes you are referring to did not originate from ESPN, where the Michigan love-fest makes me cringe.

If you want to know how to beat us, watch the Capital One Bowl last year, where Wisconsin basically rendered us impotent in all aspects of the game for 60 minutes. We did get some nice punts in though!

turnovers, turnovers.........got to STOP turning the damn ball over and get some on the plus side!........i.e. the start of the OU game, was just a killer way to begin the game.....and yes, we need to beat some more teams that we are not supposed to beat to move forward......outmanned

UCLA pulled it off, why can't we start winning some games and make some upsets?

Kicking Game!

We have been so poor in this area all year. Teams were able to break big ones on us all year.... and I can't remember a Big XII game in which we were able to match that/out perform a team. We have tried a variety of wrinkles (Nunn, Grixby, Wilson, Green, Hardy, etc) this year to find a spark but each has really fizled.

Also, I can't remember a truly dominate punt returner since Groce graduated.