O-Line vs D-Line

Syzygyone

Per an Auburn fan post in another thread:

AUB's defense front four will come from these:

DE 48 Marquies Gunn (6-4, 268, Sr.)

92 Chris Browder (6-4, 270, Sr.)

NG 97 Josh Thompson (6-0, 295, Jr.)

99 Tez Doolittle (6-3, 292, Jr.)

DT 94 Sen’Derrick Marks (6-2, 287, RFr.)

95 Pat Sims (6-4, 304, So.)

DE 54 Quentin Groves (6-4, 254, Jr.)

52 Antonio Coleman (6-2, 250, RFr.)

Average Weight 277.5

NU has these to pick from for O-Line:

LT: 54 Chris Patrick*, 6-4, 290

76 Lydon Murtha*, 6-7, 315

LG: 65 GREG AUSTIN***, 6-1, 295

62 Andy Christensen, 6-3, 300

C: 59 Brett Byford, 6-3, 300

50 KURT MANN**, 6-4, 290

RG: 61 Mike Huff*, 6-4, 305

67 Jacob HIckman, 6-4, 280

RT: 70 Matt Slauson*, 6-5, 335

77 Carl Nicks, 6-5, 325

Average Weight 303.5

Plus, if they do move Slausen to Guard, the Right side will average 316.5.

WOWSERs, that's like an NFL line. :corndance

I think NU dominates the LOS in this game just like a former NU line dominated the likes of Warren Sapp! I think we can run effectively to dull the Tiger's pass rush.

Man, all that math hurt my brain. I gotta take a nap now!

:bonez

let's just hope our guys can keep fast feet as well. being big is great, but not if some tiny guy can run rings around you and get to your QB.

but I like keeping one side strong. Just keep giving the ball to Jackson and having him run right! And we'll pound it down to the endzone in no time

I have a good feeling about this game. As long as Taylor can stay cool. ;)

:hmmph:hmmph Geez Louise, you mean size matters LOL. Hello from a longtime AU fan. Don't let the weight issue of our defense fool ya. These guys are pretty fast and swarm to the ball. As a matter of fact, your numbers on your OL are actually smaller than most of the ones we've played this year. Our biggest problem this season has been inconsistent play. Hope the real Auburn team shows up.

I have enjoyed watching the Huskers play over the years (except when you guys beat us ) and have a great deal of respect for Coach Callahan. He definitely has you guys moving in the right direction. I know Coach Tubbs just suspended three of our starters, but should you guys win, that is no excuse, you will have gotten us at full strength. Kenny Irons (RB) and Brandon Cox (QB) are both 100% for the first time since the LSU game.

WDE !!!

On the other side of this topic, our OL stacks up like this:

LT - Dunlap 6'8" 315 jr

LG - Grubbs 6'3" 301 sr

C - Cope 6' 276 sr or Bosley 6'4" 280 so

RG - Duckworth 6'3" 310 jr

RT - Palmer 6'5" 325 sr or Hart 6'5" 300 jr

TE - Trott 6'5" 250 rfr or McKenzie 6'4" 252 rfr (lost our best TE Bennet to broken ankle early in season)

How do we stack up against your DL ? Our starting center Cope is smallish but an absolute bull.

Nebraska's D-Line will have more brute strength than any Auburn has faced this year. I'm guessing Auburn is going to have a tough time running the ball. The Huskers' pass rush has been better lately, but still very inconsistent overall.

I think LSU's front line may have been pretty strong....

Nebraska's D-Line will have more brute strength than any Auburn has faced this year. I'm guessing Auburn is going to have a tough time running the ball. The Huskers' pass rush has been better lately, but still very inconsistent overall.

I think LSU's front line may have been pretty strong....

Yep, LSU ain't no slouch. That had to be the most violent brutal hard-hitting college football game I had ever witnessed. If the AU defense that played that game (and 2nd half of FL) decides to show up, ohhh boy. Of course, if we start out like sleepy babies then NU will bust our chops before we can wake up.

OPEN DE:

44 JAY MOORE**, 6-4, 280, Sr.

99 Barry Turner*, 6-3, 250, So.

DT:

94 Barry Cryer*, 6-2, 280, Sr.

43 Ty Steinkuhler, 6-3, 280, So.

NT:

54 Ola Dagunduro*, 6-2, 300, Sr.

93 Ndamukong Suh, 6-4, 305, So.

BASE DE:

90 ADAM CARRIKER***, 6-6, 295, Sr.

98 Zach Potter*, 6-7, 280, So.

On the other side of this topic, our OL stacks up like this:

LT - Dunlap 6'8" 315 jr

LG - Grubbs 6'3" 301 sr

C - Cope 6' 276 sr or Bosley 6'4" 280 so

RG - Duckworth 6'3" 310 jr

RT - Palmer 6'5" 325 sr or Hart 6'5" 300 jr

TE - Trott 6'5" 250 rfr or McKenzie 6'4" 252 rfr (lost our best TE Bennet to broken ankle early in season)

How do we stack up against your DL ? Our starting center Cope is smallish but an absolute bull.

With the above data, and rough calculations, the Auburn O-Line is about 288, and the NU D-Line is about 284. Not nearly the size differential advantage for Auburn O Line, that NU has (303) over AUB Dline, (277)

But, as has been said, speed will determine a lot in these OL and DL match ups.

With that said, I'm not so sure that the Husker Huskies are so slow that the sizeable weight difference can be completely discounted.

Here's to watching the big boys battle it out. :corndance